NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    I feed crumbles. I used to have a lot of waste with them, but I bit the bullet and spent the $4 on a metal pan to put under the feeder. Now they eat just about everything,cuz the pan catches what they are trying to throw around the coop. (Yes, I feed in the coop. Many say you should never ever do that, it attracts rats) IF there is a lot of build up in the pan I pour it into an extra rubber water container I have around and add water. It's a totally new food when served like that, according to the chicken's reaction.

I tried pellets. They wouldn't eat them. AND I had to adjust the feeder to accomodate them....they would not fall through the plastic feeder at all.

If I was starting over I would never buy a metal waterer or a plastic feeder. Metal waterers leak if not level and plastic feeders get poop caught on the section dividers and have to be cleaned out more often.

2. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    I once sat in my car looking around the seats for my cell phone - while talking to my mother on the cell phone. FAIL.

Thanks for the feed lead! I'll go visit Agway tomorrow and give it a whirl.

3. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    My choice is similar. I add mixed grains, sunflower, lentils, dried fruits, nuts, and a tablespoon of vegetable oil to their layer crumble. They go crazy for peanut hearts!

4. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    [​IMG] I laugh only because I have done similar things.

5. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    I feed Purina Flockraiser, or sometimes game bird feed. I get the former at J and J feeds, and have bought the latter at the ag store in Tully, and something similar at Lees Feeds. I have found that having higher protein helps their feathers be healthier, and they pick on each other less when they have 20percent or so protein. I get pellets because huge amounts were wasted. They do fine with pellets, and they can find the pellets in the litter.

By the way, with Reveille out of the area, waiting for whatever, I am getting more eggs. About a week ago I was getting sometimes only two eggs, but now today five, from ten hens! He was a stressor!

6. Lapeerian

Lapeerian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    I feed pellets in a 12 lb metal hanging feeder. Bits of oyster shell get tossed out, but they pick up the feed. Agway brand Hearty Hen, has the added omega-3 and 18% protein. Makes the yolks very orange and rich. And when you make chocolate chip cookies, you can eat more because they are good for you. ;). It depends on the feeder set up you want, personal preference and chicken's preference. I had the same question just last spring. :)

7. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY

Ahhh...the silly things we do. I recently turned the house upside down to find my car/house key set. I finally gave up, assembled a second set and got in the car to head to work (and then immediately upon completion of working out of town). When I sat down in the car I felt my car keys in my pants pocket where I (then) rememberd putting them so I would not leave the house without them. Aging. It's wonderful. (For comedy writers, not for the rest of us)

8. 2bEggcellent

2bEggcellent New Egg

Jan 17, 2013
    Anyone from West Nyack NY area? Private message me I am new to this and getting ready to have chickens this late spring 2013. I would love to meet likeminded people in my area. I could use a few pointers too.
    Thanks![​IMG]

9. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013

Wow...i have done that. Took me several minutes and much irritation to figure out i was walking around with them perched on my head.

Thx for "feed-feedback"...bad pun, i know!!

Tob

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Or else hanging off my T shirt.

Have you ever stopped to think and forget to start again? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by