NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I suspect it has more to do with the increased price of corn and grains. Which has been slowly going up over the last few years. Blue Seal is or was a top of the line feed. They do know what they are doing

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    check

3. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
  4. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    yep that's it. I've read that heritage breeds need more protein. Don't know if its' true or not but it can't hurt I guess.

I do use other feeds if I get a coupon like the one I got in Mother Earth for Purina layer. Which I like by the way, but wish had more protein.

5. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    I imagine many or all of my newbie questions have been beaten to death in previous discussions, but being as I've been reading my fellow New Yorker's advice, I'd like to stick to this crew -- rather than go elsewhere -- and get your advice.

Do you feed your hens pellet or mash form? I've seen pro's & con's for both sides, and where I'm at right now is that I'm leaning towards mash. I realize there may be more waste, but I like that it keeps the birds scratching around in an engaged and natural way.

If you've got a minute, I'd like to hear how you feed and why it works best.

Thanks for furthering my education! [​IMG]

TOB

6. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    pellets and the still scratch at it like chickens do.

7. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Hen and Aria---that is the correct feed. We feel that our birds have been much better since switching to this feed. They look better, have better weight and eggs are real nice. I have been giving my silkies the same feed. I think they are better off. Its worth a try anyways.

8. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I prefer whole grains. I buy green mountain coarse layer( it is mash like) and add wheat berries, or lentils, or peas or sunflower seeds what ever i can get my hands on and use fertrells poultry balancer. To up the protein, I bring home leftover salmon from the buffet,(at work) or liver from the grocery store, or home grown mealworms. I purchased some pellets as that is what was available and mixed it in with my feed and it is the absolute last thing they eat. I also ferment and sprout for my birds.

9. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Don't sweat the newbie questions. At my age I can't remember anything anyhow. [​IMG] Heck I once tried to put a pair of glasses on when I already had a pair on. Not a good feeling.

10. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Or you can't find your glasses and they are on top of your head[​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by