NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    1. Are you talking about a regular, old sheet baking pan as a liner?

2. I wonder if hanging the waterer / feeder several inches off the ground helps with the messiness? I've seen that mentioned as a way to help.

Thx.

TOB

2. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    Menopause is a frustrating element to the once sharp and organized mind. I did something like this, so dumb, that I still cringe in embarrassment when I think about it...and worst off, it was my husband on the line with me. I will never live it down.

TOB

3. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    Good news for the ladies...and for you!

TOB

4. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    I rest my case! Have done something almost blueprint to this as well. ** Sigh...... **

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR THE FEEDING TIPS! SOAKING IN ALL YOUR GREAT INFO !!! [​IMG]

TOB

5. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY

I bought a large round high sided pan, that is probably meant to be a place to put feed or water for a different type of livestock at Tractor Supply. It is big enough around that the feeder fits in it, but small enough that they birds can't actually walk on/in it. Birds shake their beak in the food pan and throw the food sideways onto the floor. The area between the feeder and the side of the pan gets full of food, but because it is contained and not all over the floor, the birds can still eat it. While hanging the feeder/waterer might stop some of the contamination of walking through the contents, it doesn't stop their habit of throwing the food sideways onto the floor (probably for their chicks to clean up....but wait, I don't have any chicks, so it just sat there and ROTTED and smelled awful. worse than poop, as it decayed mixed in with the sand on my floor.)

TOB, remember some of us have a large number of birds. My 27 birds is a small quantity compared to some of the others on here. Larger flocks require larger amounts of everything to be available, causeing larger problems than you are going to experience with your original small flock. Just be aware of potential problems as your flock grows and be ready to counter with effective measures for both your sanity and the health of the flock. The biggest mistake I made, at first, was putting the waterer right beside the feed like I do for my cat. WHAT A MESS. They will walk across the area to the water and back to the food. Also, separating the two containers allows the birds on the low end of the pecking order to eat or drink while the king and queen are occupied at the other container. Be sure that the food and water are far enough apart that any water spilled is not wetting the food....it causes the food to stink and spoil and mold....not healthy for anyone involved.

6. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    2b, welcome to the NY thread on byc. There is another thread that has been started for down staters. While everyone is welcome here, you may find someone closer to home on the southern NY, Dutchess county thread. I have tried to copy and paste the link put I can not do it( does anyone else still have this problem?????) You can find them under The forum tab,(at the top of this page) then social, then where am I where are you? Have fun with your chickens!!!

7. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/534036/southern-ny-dutchess-county-and-below there is the link to the Southern NY thread. Wish you luck 2b.

8. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010

9. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    our local Blue Seal has great people there. My father worked there for over 30 years doing many jobs and one of the jobs was making feed. They used to have great feed. The people at the Blue Seal store outright told me the formula was changed but "basically the same". It isn't the same.
    Actually I picked up feed at Agway on Monday before reading about any of this on this thread. The ducks love it. Some of the chickens.....not so much. But they are getting used to it. Almost like it doesn't taste as good to them. I haven't been using it long enough to see if there is a difference. And honestly I'm also killing more roosters, so as egg production continues to increase I won't know if the feed made a difference

10. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    Hi Cass -

Funny, but I remember my mom's little parakeet "Gidgie" -- boy could that tiny little bundle of cuteness make a horrific mess. I can only imagine 27 chickens! Yowza.

You're right. 27 birds vs. my (planned!) 6 must be a big difference. I am banking on this, because you sound like you've got your work cut out for you!

Love your tips about placing the water and food at separate areas. Makes great sense, but I'm not sure I would have considered this.

As always, it's this kind of forthcoming guidance that is really appreciated. Thanks again!

TOB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by