NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    Does anyone have large fowl cornish? I was thinking to get a roo to breed my own meat birds. I think crossing the cornish with the Delawares would make some nice meat birds.

2. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    I've known a few people who suffered early onset, and lived for up to 2 decades... the sorrow is incredible. I'm grateful that her suffering was relatively short given the circumstances.... thank you all for your kind thoughts.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Now you know I like you and Travis, and I have Columbian Rocks from Scott in GA. These birds are nice and big but take some time to mature to egg laying, but they are definitely big enough to eat even before then. I have some eggs in the incu and the resulting chicks are yours if you want them. Or I can give you eggs to hatch on your own. I'm not sure if these will hatch but we shall see. I do know the rooster is chasing the girls though.

4. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I've only seen the hawk once or twice. There isn't a lot of open space here and I do keep breeds that blend in well. White birds are a quick draw. I keep my Dels inside the run mostly. Dels do well in confinement, which is another plus for the breed. I would rather not hurt a hawk, but devise ways to protect my chicken, such as planting strategically.

I have three roos with 9 - 10 hens and no picking or bald spots. If I get 50% eggs at this time of year, I'm happy.

5. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

6. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    a hawk, even a small hawk can and will take down a full size chicken and eat the breast meat out on the spot. I take the opposite approach to predators. If it has 4 legs and is a predator on my land, it dies. This time of year my trapping buddy is busy removing them for me.

7. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    We lost a pekin duck last spring to we believe a hawk. It was stripped of its breast meat.

8. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Oh I have no problem with hurting predators, just don't want to break the law and kill protected birds of prey.

9. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    the fine is STEEP!

10. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    Cheeka,
    Seems this injury is more common than I imagined! Hope your Peach heals up nicely.
    I'm going to try and make a saddle tonight, and if she's healed up enough tomorrow afternoon, I'll put her back in with the flock. I'll be making it with two layers of jean material, plus interfacing to line it all. That should be thick enough to protect her.
    I have 3 or 4 other hens that could use them, too. Not injured, just missing feathers. SO happy Oreo has been rehomed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by