NY chicken lover!!!!

Quote:
I'm sorry about your MIL. It's sad and hard. My great aunt lived with alzheimer's for 15 years and it was really hard. She had early onset of it in her late 50's.
I've known a few people who suffered early onset, and lived for up to 2 decades... the sorrow is incredible. I'm grateful that her suffering was relatively short given the circumstances.... thank you all for your kind thoughts.

After all she's been through, my injured hen laid a nice egg this evening. She's such a trooper.
clap.gif

How do I tell her to take a break???

I looked up on other posts pics of rooster spur/nail injuries and saw some similar to hers. I just can't seem to grasp that this will heal up fine. Will she really heal? Will she ever get feathers there again?

my little bantam EE is also injured by a rooster toenail, huge gash in her back, right nasty! but, she is doing exceptionally well in quarantine, laying eggs everyday... silly bird, and she does get time outside with strict supervision if the bigger gang is nearby, and not so much if she's just out with the chicks. I didn't try denim, should have... but I patch my jeans til there is not much left but patches...lol, so I don't really have any to sacrifice. everything else I made either was too thin (her cut was re-opened
roll.png
) or it just would not stay in place. so I googled chicken saddle aprons, found a nice lady who makes durable, double-lined, measured to fit aprons for a very reasonable price with free shipping. I won't let her rejoin her flock until they arrive, and in the meantime, she acts more like a dog than a chicken... I gave her access to the room her quarantine crate is in, only have had to pick up 2 poops in 4 days! (she must hang out on top of her crate a lot, and the poop falls through onto her bedding?) when I let the dog out to do her business, Peach wanted to go out too... so I let her. I stand right there to watch... so, no danger... anyway, Peach came back inside on her own right behind the dog! I didn't have to go scoop her up or anything! I love that little bird, she is so awesome...

it's fairly warm, but seriously windy... and about 10 minutes ago, the snow started to swirl... glad I have the day off, totally cozy'ed up with the Pug, a big quilt, and hours of recorded TV to catch up on!

Does anyone have large fowl cornish? I was thinking to get a roo to breed my own meat birds. I think crossing the cornish with the Delawares would make some nice meat birds.

Now you know I like you and Travis, and I have Columbian Rocks from Scott in GA. These birds are nice and big but take some time to mature to egg laying, but they are definitely big enough to eat even before then. I have some eggs in the incu and the resulting chicks are yours if you want them. Or I can give you eggs to hatch on your own. I'm not sure if these will hatch but we shall see. I do know the rooster is chasing the girls though.

sorry to hear about your hen ..you tried to help her ..Glad the other one showed up ..Can you clip her wings ?
For the hawk if you dont have a gun ...I have thought of a sling shot ..can you make one ?

I've only seen the hawk once or twice. There isn't a lot of open space here and I do keep breeds that blend in well. White birds are a quick draw. I keep my Dels inside the run mostly. Dels do well in confinement, which is another plus for the breed. I would rather not hurt a hawk, but devise ways to protect my chicken, such as planting strategically.

I have three roos with 9 - 10 hens and no picking or bald spots. If I get 50% eggs at this time of year, I'm happy.

Quote:
I am fine with Predators..and wouldnt want to hurt them either as long as they stay away from my chickens ..but if they do not ..it is a totally another story .
I havent had a problem with hawks that I know of ..My birds are all full grown ..regular size ..they dont bother them do they ? Arent your Dels a regular size chicken ?
I could see CAUTION- Silkies being prone to hawk snatching .
One of our neighbors says there is a eagles nest down river from us ..those I am somewhat worried about

I am fine with Predators..and wouldnt want to hurt them either as long as they stay away from my chickens ..but if they do not ..it is a totally another story .
I havent had a problem with hawks that I know of ..My birds are all full grown ..regular size ..they dont bother them do they ? Arent your Dels a regular size chicken ?
One of our neighbors says there is a eagles nest down river from us ..those I am somewhat worried about
a hawk, even a small hawk can and will take down a full size chicken and eat the breast meat out on the spot. I take the opposite approach to predators. If it has 4 legs and is a predator on my land, it dies. This time of year my trapping buddy is busy removing them for me.

Oh I have no problem with hurting predators, just don't want to break the law and kill protected birds of prey.

Cheeka,
Seems this injury is more common than I imagined! Hope your Peach heals up nicely.
I'm going to try and make a saddle tonight, and if she's healed up enough tomorrow afternoon, I'll put her back in with the flock. I'll be making it with two layers of jean material, plus interfacing to line it all. That should be thick enough to protect her.
I have 3 or 4 other hens that could use them, too. Not injured, just missing feathers. SO happy Oreo has been rehomed.

Back
Top Bottom