NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY

Lowes sells "play sand" near their cement. (Its at the far end of my store) Wood ashes and sand would make for one happy flock. Don't know if you saw my post regarding cleaning the sand out of the big coop, intending to clear it out of the small side too. I didn't clear the sand out of the small side because 12 birds were in there dust bathing. They looked like they were in heaven, dust bathing in the middle of winter.

2. cracrzy4chicks

cracrzy4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Westernville, NY
    Thanks Cass & Stony. I'll be stopping @ Lowes tomorrow after work ! Right now the girls are trying to bathe in the wood shavings ![​IMG] They're quite entertaining half buried in the shavings, when they shake off I get " the look " as if they were saying " come on Mom......really "

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Tonight I watched the waxing moon ride across the zenith of the heaven like an ambered chariot towards the ebony void of infinite space where in the tethered belts of Jupiter and Mars hang forever festooned in their orbital majesty and thought. .I really should put a roof on this outhouse.

4. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I love that look. I got it several times today.... but it was "come on food giver.....".... [​IMG]

5. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY

[​IMG]

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I should have given an update. I have been putting on a light in the main coop with the Dels (which laid anyhow) and the CR's and Orps. The ee's have always laid well and one CR that I know of since she lays in the corner of the coop. Honestly I think they might need a bigger hole in the nest boxes.

anyhow I did see an orp or two laying. I got 13 eggs today.

Though for as old at the orps are they should be laying much bigger eggs. I tossed a couple in the incu for the heck of it. I'm hoping when I cross them with the blacks the resulting progeny will lay bigger eggs.

Heck my BM's are in the first year and lay eggs over 2.0 oz.

The BR's are still not laying but I suspect it's a light thing. I have plans to run a cord to the coop and hang one in there as well.

7. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    Rancher,
    I've had really good luck with adding light. I have it on a timer from 5 am to 4 pm. I was down to 5 or 7 eggs some days. A few of my BA's recently started laying (it's not too many. I can tell b/c they are really small) and suddenly I am up to 20 or so eggs a day! Today I had 21.
    I have added two heated waterers, bought fresh scratch, added the lighting, cleaned out the old mucky straw and put down all fresh wood shavings, scraped the roosts and added something similar to stall boy. They are happy and paying me back for it.
    I have 7 tetra tints that I got as chicks back in April. Last summer/fall they were all giving me brown eggs except one who laid a green egg. She quit giving me her green eggs until I added the lighting. Suddenly I have 2 green eggs in a day. I know I didn't miss an egg. It's happened twice now. I must have one that never laid in the summer/fall. Now she's starting to lay at 9 months old??? Strange.

8. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

9. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    [​IMG] This is epic.

10. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    How is everyone ( including chickies ) holding up with this wind ? It turns out I didnt have my tarp on the coop very securely .Or NOT Secure At ALL
    I thought for sure it would tear it off ...but the part I secured held on ...The chickens hated it flapping in the wind above them .
    I ended up throwing logs on the wood roof to keep it down on the coop & over the run ..
    Got 7 eggs today ...I have 8 hens ...I think it scared the eggs out of them ..LOL

We were also trapped on our road today . A power pole came down ..Our electric is still on !
    the town wouldnt let anyone pass on the road ...after my son left for work ..
    he drove under the pole as it was tipped but not down low yet .
    when my son came home from work he creatively drove my car in the field to get around it to come home ...
    Kids ! I would have done the same thing though ( went around it )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by