NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Lapeerian

Lapeerian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    We survived the wind just fine. But the forecast for this week makes me want to hibernate. Talk of lows of 0 with wind chills to -20. YUCK! Horses have gotten lots of blanket practice this winter. Off this weekend while it was 40*, back on last night with the bitter cold starting. They will be spending some time in the barn this week between the cold and wind, dont want any frostbit ears. And the chickens won't venture out into the wind, although the snow is gone. Lack of snow means no sled to haul water. And the tanks will be frozen solid. :mad:

2. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    which is why, if someone decides to take one out, do not post it!!!

3. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I have an EE, hatched feb 2012 that has NOT laid an egg!!

4. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    I think the fine is in the thousands and it is considered a felony to take a protected bird of prey. Be careful about using a sling shot or throwing anything because I was also told that "harassment" is included in the "to take" definition as well even if you don't intend to kill. ECO's set up high powered scopes on a gun stock and can see quite a bit...be careful what you do.
    I lost a bird to a red tail a few years back, took the best layer too...of course [​IMG].
    If I see one flying around just walking out by the chickens is usually enough to get them to move on temporarily. The rooster is worth his cost in feed...he has been great at alerting the girls if he sees something.
    Princesschick - buddy is crowing now...and doing the dance! I like his crow he sounds a lot better than my last roo.

5. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    yes they are and they are one of natures killing machines. They are as fast on their feet as they are in the air. I would have been impressed if they weren't trying to kill a chicken

6. stonykill

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I have 2 EE's. They SUCK at laying eggs. 2 a week, if I'm lucky. Now....pppppppphhhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt 1 every week or 2 from each of them.

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Are these hatchery EE's? I had one like that a few years back but the non hatchery ones I have now are my second best layers next to my little california whites (leghorns). Getting only green and white eggs right now. :p

8. ag29ande

ag29ande Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Delanson, ny
    Greetings from Delanson NY! I'm on the hunt for a speckled Sussex roo!! Let me know if anyone has one for sale!

9. stonykill

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    yeah....they are.

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Honestly my bro in law is so cheap. Won't even pay for a vasectomy. If you think this is bad you should see poor dog. Had to rename him Tripod.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by