NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Same here. Lots of weird colors, very few normal brown eggs. I made my own EEs tho. I only had an Ameruacana roo, so anything I hatched was an EE. Unless it was from a blue egg then it was a pure Ameruacana....which SUCK at laying eggs....If I had it to do all over again I would go with Marans and forget the cute blue eggs. Now one of my Sumantras is laying a cute blue egg. One is laying a cream colored one and one is laying...I can tell by the size but don't know what to call the color, maybe Light light tan? (cuz it isn't cream, it isn't brown, and it sure isn't green.)

Edited to add: Hey, Stony, you want to hatch some of my JUMBO olive green eggs? She is a MACHINE when it comes to laying and her offspring would lay some shade of green/blue. My Roo is still an Ameraucana, just a different one. This one is alive. [​IMG] (and apparently her eggs taste good, cuz that was the one that my silkie was eating every darn day until I moved her)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  2. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    my Sumatra's lay anything from robin egg blue to brown, tan, cream, and white. Think I covered them all [​IMG]. Of all of my Sumatra girls tho....only 2 lay blue....so far. Rare egg color for them

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I just didn't want anyone from the DEC showing up at my door. [​IMG]

4. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    You sure it's not a roo??? [​IMG] Lazy girls. Just plain lazy.
    Not sure if you saw my past post, but Oreo has been rehomed and I kept my two BA roos. I think I made a good choice. The one that was mean before has seemed to calm down quite a bit, and the other one has always been good. AND they don't crow at 2:30 am like Oreo did! Glad Buddy is fitting in so well. Was thinking about you today... passed by the office on the way to my mom's. Said "hi" on my way by! lol
    After all that time of NO eggs, I am getting almost 2 green eggs per day.
    [​IMG]
    I'm thinking the best deterrent will be bird netting. I'll hate to get something else like a squirrel stuck in it, though. That would not be fun to deal with.

Best day yet for eggs... 24 from 34 hens! Wahoo!!! Quite a few very small eggs from the little Australorps, but I'll either keep those or sell them at a big discount ($1/doz?).

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    While I have set eggs to hatch, very few are 2.0 or less. I have two EE's that lay a nice 2.0+ eggs. Keep in mind folks that hatcheries buy every egg they can get there hands on. IMO. I don't think they look at the depth of the gene pool. Point being if you got a dud from the hatchery don't be surprised.

This is why it's good to hatch your own. Even if you need to use a broody hen and give away or cull the roosters.

Also keep in mind that hybrids are better layers than pure and a hybrid can be any mix. Which may be why EE's lay better than pure Ameraucanas. I always give away my crossed chicks.

Your "Tetras" "Golden comets" and the like are sex links simply for the reason the hatchery can tell the boys from the girls just by looking at them. They then toss the boys down a chute and grind them up alive.

Further your Rhodebars and any of the "Bars" are also crosses that hatch feather sexed. Though in this case the roosters and hens of the "breed" can be bred together.

If you'd prefer to do this yourself, get yourself a few Del hens and cross them with a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire rooster and all the rooster chicks will have the Del pattern and the hens a solid red feather pattern.

6. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Oh, sure - now that I no longer have two spare SS roos, somebody comes along and wants one. [​IMG]

Welcome to the NYS thread!

7. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

8. Gramma Chick

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

9. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    I am thinking of doing this next time I need a few chickens, but I have been very unsuccessful in finding local chicken folks. I drove an hour to Jamestown to adopt a cochin rooster from someone here on BYC and despite them being good birds from a good breeder, and the best behaved roos I've ever met, she was unable to find homes for months. I think she still has two extras. I am nervous about running into that situation and don't want to irresponsibly hatch some birds out only to not have homes for them all. I'm not set up to house too many.

10. Gramma Chick

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Who are you talking to ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by