NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    You sound responsible. I eat my culls(roosters,and pullets that I don't think will make good breeders, for whatever reason). If you don't want to breed because you don't want to eat them, come fall, someone always has a favorite pullet or hen that they don't want to eat so if you are willing to drive, you may be able to get it quite cheap!! AS far as roosters go, they are hard to give away and I take comfort knowing that while mine lived they didn't spend their short life in a cage or so crowded that they could barely move. One could be over run with roosters very quickly....like the time I set 16 eggs and 11 hatched...9 cockerels and 2 pullets.

2. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    All good info, thank you Rancher. I think I will hatch some of my own eggs this year, and, I guess I will learn to butcher the boys. But, it looks like Reveille may get a new home. A fellow from Toggenburg (I see chickens in his future) said he found a young co-worker who wants a younger rooster as his elderly one is not doing the job. I believe I have just the rooster for him! And another friend is now interested....but she is not set up yet...so things are looking up for that boy.,

3. vmdanielsen

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    But they tasted good didn't they? HHHmmmm, I think I will take a chicken out of the freezer.
    Would covering a dell with a buckeye, produce similar coloring? I don't want to do this, I am just curious!

EEWW!! I have hatching fever!!! I was going to put the light out in the coop but with this week's anticipated cold weather, decided to wait because I was going to put the nipple waterer out there with the aquarium heater in i,t but didn.t know how it would hold up with the -0 temperatures. I can hold off another week, I can hold off another week...really I can.

4. vmdanielsen

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    sorry double post

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  5. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    ate 2 Saturday and 1 went in the freezer. 3 more are freezer bound today as they just finished "resting" in the fridge. Selected the next 3 bound for freezer camp. 16 roosters lighter since Thanksgiving.... so far.....[​IMG]

Now I want chicken and I see pork is already defrosting..... darn....[​IMG]

6. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    This is also my fear, too many roos. I've for several right now, 2 breeders, and the rest are grow outs. I find myself feeling very annoyed with them, they are Jerks! Boys being boys. I cannot bring myself to eat my silkies, the black meat just doesn't sound appetizing to me. Maybe an asian market would be willing to take them, then I worry that they will not be handled in a humane way.

7. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Ginny---I know that itch. I have two new incubators just begging to be used! I keep saying I can wait, I can wait...

Didnt get much snow but holy cow who installled the freezer! I think it was minus something when I went out to release the beasts. Everyone got scratch and I see no frostbite on any combs or waddles. They all pounded outside to get their scratch and cabbage so I guess they dont really care about the freezer conditions. Even the silkies ran out this morning. They got hot water with their cool as they dont have heaters so I bring in the indoor ones at night. They will get boiling water when I leave as no one will be home till bedtime for them.

Rancher--hybrids are good egg layers. Our 5 red sexlinks are machines. We will be hatching out black sexlinks (rir roo x br hen) so we shall see if they are as good. I have to say the rir hens are also good egg layers. Someone (or two) are laying the most beautiful dark brown eggs I have ever seen. Not as dark as Marans eggs but dark.

Nambroth---if you arent squeamish, its not hard to process your extra/unwanted chickens. They are tasty and as Ginny said, at least you know you have given them a good life for however long you raised them. No added water, preservatives or coloring either!

Stay warm everyone. Its going to be a long, frigid week this week!

8. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Adorava---got a coop of 5 silkies, four of which are boys and 3 are up for sale. I cant eat mine either. Love my boys but they really need their own home! They all stare at Little Mans run, lusting after his women. Sigh...hoping maybe later on I can find them homes, even if I have to give them away.

Stony--you almost done processing??? Seems like you have been running freezer camp for a long time now. Dont you ever close for vacation??? [​IMG]

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Any one who'll listen my dear. [​IMG]

You don't think if you're addressing someone in particular I don't read it do you? You might say something about someone or something I can use. Believe me I have too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  10. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    not sure. With the broody's hatching from March till September ...... and I stopped counting at 25 broody's...... adds up to a lot of freezer bound roo's. 10 more might put me in pretty good shape, until it starts all over again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by