1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Would yo be able to make chicken stock then toss the meat? Would it make funky colored stock? Do they taste different?

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I got my first non hatchery Dels in Alden. If there is an auction nearby or someone who eats chickens give them away. I'd have no problem sending chicks off with someone else to sell for themselves if they're all roos.

My advice was for someone who keeps more than 12 birds. I have no problem giving away hens that don't work out. My first batch of hatchery birds, I gave away 3 GLW's and 3 Aussies. They were fine just getting picked on to the point they were bald.

Not all hatchery birds are bad, but on occasion you get a few that just aren't good. Diversity is the answer. MY first batch was 8 breeds 3 of each. 4 of which were red bantam frizzles.

3. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I honestly don't know, but may find out in the future if I get some Buckeye. I noticed my BM roo has some frost bite, but he does go out in this weather. I hate to lock them up if they want to go out and breath the cold air. The only roo without fb is the BR. All the other have been bitten and I'm sorry for that. I've tried the Vaseline but it didn't help on the tips.

This is my interest in Buckeyes. I'm not sure there is a peacomb maran out there for the dark eggs. Amers and EE's of course have the rosecomb but they can still get frost bit.

Dels of course don't have a rosecomb but they are still on the critical list and not all that popular. I'd hate to see them die out. They are a nice friendly breed. Easy to handle , easy to keep with other breeds and in confinement. Not prone to picking either. At least for me.

I think any breed will pick if crowded and bored.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  4. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm interested in this too, since this is my plan.

5. horsekeeper

horsekeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Middleburgh, NY
    I processed 10 silkie roos this fall and so far have made two batches of soup and kept the meat. Rich and delicious! If you add colorful vegetables and some nice small pasta like stelline or orzo to it you don't really notice the color. It just looks like you used all dark meat. The stock was excellent. I also throw in a box of wild and long grain rice complete with the flavor packet and tastes amazing.

Last week was orange cheesecake and it was a big hit next door at my daughter's house. This week is amaretto cheesecake. Yummy. Good thing I have someone next door to help eat all the goodies I cook. Last night a big pot of cabbage/bacon/leftover pork roast soup went over because my freezer is jammed full of ducks.

I raised Cayuga mixes and Muscovies last year and processed all the Cayugas and 18 Muscovies. Tried one of the Cayugas this weekend with orange/cherry/bourbon sauce and didn't care for it much. Muscovy is so much tastier.

6. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    pharmchickrnmom - Not squeamish. I actually hunt. I just admittedly get too attached to my birds.... Maybe if I could keep them in a different pen and interact with them less...
    I've seen, in person this fall, the difference between my hatchery birds and someone's well-bred birds. The vigor, size, and overall constitution of her birds really impressed me. The cochin rooster I got from her is a very fine animal and I am convinced that I don't think I will get hatchery birds again unless someone needs to rehome them.
    I have room for 8 birds, realistically, and don't want to overcrowd them. I've got 8 right now so all this is hypothetical in case I lose any.
    I am nervous about auctions as disease vectors. What do you think? There are none nearby but if I had to drive a few hours I could.

7. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    It is testing week for the highschool kids here. I got stuck behind the bus picking kids up this afternoon. One girl got on the bus wearing just a long sleeve tee and one boy only a hoodie. The wind chill is negative digits outside. Kids are crazy!

8. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    You are right, Tab. My younger son went through a winter of not wearing appropriate clothing. He was also an athlete, and got sick for some big tournament...lesson learned. Perhaps his body could have fought off the illness if he hadn't been stressing it so by being under dressed. And we can't really know when we are going to be exposed to germs....yes, kids are crazy, and then they grow up and become adults who are crazy in different ways. Not sure how credible I am...

9. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    I guess I was feeling ornery. We don't have much for heating in the lab where I work. It got up to 60* in there this morning then we turned the oven on and opened the door of it. It was 64* when I left at 11:30.

Being a food plant we have to wear the uniforms provided which aren't the warmest.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  10. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Like Glasshen, my (older) son rarely leaves the house with a coat this time of year. This is a new thing now that he's entered high school. He says it's because the lockers are too small, but I think it's more of a "cool thing" with teenagers these days, boys and girls alike. That being said, I pulled an Obama today and gave an executive order to wear a coat. Surprisingly, I got no argument. At 9F this morning with a roaring north wind, maybe even his teenaged brain realized how miserable he would feel waiting for the bus without a coat. [Note: he did refuse to wear a hat because he didn't want to "mess up his hair." I'm sure the wind took care of that.] [​IMG]

Both my boys are going skiing tonight. They are nuts, as is my husband who doesn't see the problem with this. Should I vaseline them up, like the chickens?

Put the heaviest blanket on my horse today. No complaints from him, as I threw another couple of flakes of hay in the stall, either. It's an "inside day" for him and his friends.

TOB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by