NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Lapeerian

Lapeerian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    went out this afternoon to take some extra water to the horses and chickens since I am home anyways. These are today's 4 eggs. This is the biggest one I have gotten yet! Had a couple small blood streaks on it, but not surprised. Ouch! The other 3 are the standard large size eggs I get every day.
    [​IMG]

2. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Rancher---what were you drinking before you hit the outhouse??? lol

Came home and hauled out warm water to the silkies. Wateres were somewhat frozen. Filled feeders and waterers and everyone got scratch. Turned over litter. So hoping that we dont get any snow. Cold out. The wind is very cold. Not looking forward to the single digits coming later this week. Staring at my incubators wanting to start hatching but being a good girl and holding off.

Girls are picking up laying. Getting around 14 a day from them now. Good thing as my demand is growing.

3. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    It's snowing here. The ducks like it fine (they like to 'swim' in the snow) but the chickens are not impressed, and neither am I. Finally got to the point that I had hauled so much snow out of their run that the remainder was packed down enough they couldn't drag it back into the coop with them and get the bedding soggy. Sigh. And I do believe one of my birds has gone broody, but I can't TELL, because somehow one of my egg doors has frozen shut and wouldn't you know it, that't the nesting box I think she's in. Ugh.

Anyone else getting snow yet?

4. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    it has been snowing off and on here for about 2 hours. Really started picking up as I was doing lock up [​IMG]

5. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Welcome to the insanity.

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Snowing here not heavy yet tho!!

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Lapeerian - that had to have hurt. And if you don't think so, I've seen one of my hens lay and egg and she slowly rose and just stood there with this stunned look on her face.

Now I've added a light into the coop and eggs have picked up. Today the count was 16. Which is good. I will say the BM's are doing best with 3/5 hens.

Just so we're clear I have no intention of shooting any hawks. In fact I've only seen one once and it had landed in the yard but took off when I came around the corner of the house. I've not seen one since. That was well over two years ago, though I have seen it on the power lines near the high way.

In fact if you've read any of my postings I've given lots of ideas on deterence.

9. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I figured that. I have found if you deter them enough, they move on to easier food.

10. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Welcome to BYC!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by