NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. marquisella

marquisella Songster

Jan 30, 2009

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013

2. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Songster

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I do know that horses are seasonally polyestrus and that a great many thoroughbreds are "foaled" on January first because if they were foaled on December 30th they would have to celebrate their first birthday on the following Jan 1 (making them a year old for racing purposes in 1 day).[​IMG]

3. stonykill

stonykill Crowing

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I don't use light. Here is why. I feel the chickens need their natural break. I compare it to a bulb needing to winter over before reflowering. My feeling is adding light is simply going to shorten the number of years a chicken lays eggs.
    With that said those that do use lights say it takes a few weeks to work. The chicken needs to adjust to the added "daylight" hours. And I would think it would have to be incandescent. Flourescent bulbs don't like to work in the cold.

And yes humans have ruined chickens. I raise my flock like our forefathers did. Trying to help them be chickens...normal chickens.

4. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Songster

May 15, 2010
    Stony I like your philosophy. The reason I got into chickens in the first place was to have a more natural food source, not from an egg vending machine. Humans are like that too, our schedules demand us to be so busy that we don't slow down when we have decreased daylight, so we tend to get tired and have lowered immune systems in the winter because we are so out of touch with our natural circadian rhythm. (I'll stay off my soap box)...But I do realize that having a larger flock cost a lot more than my tiny 4-6 birds, and that selling eggs helps pay for feed.
    Do you sell fertile Sumatra eggs? If someone goes broody this spring I would love to try that breed. I hear rumor they lay blue eggs?!

Chickprincess I'm glad to hear Horeo was picked up. I'm assuming it has calmed down a bit in the coop? I forgot to mention earlier that I have used pine tar for picking with some success. It deters picking bare spots for a while but is messy to apply and you have to do it more than once a week.
    Buddy is getting pretty randy, the girls refuse to come down out of the nesting area for fear of being "courted". He was just chasing them trying to get his way but now he's learning to bait them with food and dance. [​IMG]

5. marquisella

marquisella Songster

Jan 30, 2009

6. stonykill

stonykill Crowing

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I have around 80 chickens and 11 ducks and still won't use light to increase egg production.

Blue Sumatra eggs are almost as rare as hens teeth. Of all of my Sumatra hens only 2 lay blue eggs. I may pick up a few more when some of the young pullets come into lay, but I'm not going to count on that. Their eggs are normally either white or some brown color.

Yes I do sell fertile Sumatra eggs.

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I got me a small fridge from the neighbor next door to hold eggs for $40. Of course I don't have enough eggs to put in it as they sell pretty quick. I've got one egg for me today. Unless I got out and see what's there. [​IMG] But good garden o' peas it's cold.

I've got 18 for a person coming to get them to hatch. Not something I do but they're just trying out their incubator. I hope they show, even though their area got some snow.

Anyhow, get yourself a fridge and put it where your customers can get at it and have them leave the money when you're not home. IF you trust them.

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    No frozen eggs, but cold for sure. I go out a few times when I'm home to check.

Now you watch that bronchitis make sure she gets some rest. No TV just keep her in bed. Perhaps some soothing music.

9. stonykill

stonykill Crowing

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    there are protected wild chickens in Fla. Some links call them ferrel, some wild but they live their daily lives without humans doing things for them.

Ruined is the wrong word sure, but I use it because most chickens simply can't survive without humans as we have over domesticated them. We had a steer once. Stupidest critter I've ever had. Absolutely dependent on me to survive. Then I see this show on tv showing some kind of African bovine get attacked by a lion, the herd chases the lion off then goes to take care of the assumed dead bovine. They licked the wounds and after an hour or so, the wounded bovine stood up and walked away with the herd. My steer would get stuck in the corner of a building [​IMG].

So this is why I say we ruined chickens. Hardly any chickens are able to survive without us. Compare your average domestic turkey to a wild turkey. We raised 30 turkeys a year for about 10 years. Stupid birds. Wild turkeys are quite smart. Over domestication ruins natural instinct. But if raised in the correct way, these instincts return over generations.

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    she may very well be RIR. You got a pic?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by