NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    That was an interesting article, Marquisella. I just finished reading it. Thanks for sharing the link & info!

TOB

2. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009

3. Lapeerian

Lapeerian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Wahoo, someone wants Ron the big black Orp roo! The people that have been buying the 1 doz/week from us want him for their young flock. They are restarting their flock and the pullets have just started laying. I'm going to give him for free because I know I won't have to eat him myself. He is too nice of a boy and flock leader. [​IMG]
    Now who else wants a roo? With the orp out of the flock, it leaves the 2 GLW boys, 2 Ancona boys and the one outcast EE roo.

4. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Lap---got enough of my own boys here thank you very much! Good luck finding homes for yours. I hope you do.

Came home to some very demanding cheeps. I did open their pop doors this am before running off to work. Of course they wouldnt step foot outside in the evil white stuff. Its all melting now which means dirty eggs from dirty feet! Gave everyone some scratch to get them to dig around their coops and turn it over. I like free help!!!

I am grateful this is all melting but worried about how much rain will be coming. I am hoping I dont have to use the pump for the backyard. Dh isnt here so I would be pulling it all out and setting it up and running it, which is fine if it starts up for me. Heres hoping for light rain. My two silkie girls are on their way to me and I am hoping to get them tomorrow. I have to set up the dog cage in the garage for them as they will be quarantined for a while. I am sure they wont mind.

Okay--off to do womanly things.

5. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Today, was one such day! Grrr! Mild and still earlier today, so I turned him and his buddies out. Then 2 hours later, driving, cold rain -- when I got to the barn, they were dripping wet and standing by the door...so in they came. An hour later the sun broke out and it's 45F. [​IMG]

Just can't win! See what I mean? You do the best you can!

TOB

6. ag29ande

ag29ande Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Delanson, ny
    The snow knocked down the top 4 feet of the chicken wire...fox jumped over! Obviously my own fault, I had left the door from the run to the coop opened. Lesson learned.

Though I do a lot of free ranging of the girls in the summer and lost a few hens in the middle of the day to a fox...very brazen animals.

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Nearly done candleing. Looks like a lot of BM's are good. Two CR's, and an Orp. No EE's and just a few Dels. Though to be honest some might have been held too long. The BM's though are good layers so it only stand to reason there would be more of those. 16 total in the incubator. A couple I think have been upside down for the duration so far. Now righted I don't know if they'll make it.

Looks like I'll have to separate the Lav Amer roo and all the EE's to a coop of their own. I've got on EE in with the Dels and now that I think of it she hasn't laid an egg for a few days but I have to keep removing her from a nest box. Broody? I don't know but she does bite when I try to get her out. She has no eggs under her. Not even a wooden one.

Good weather tomorrow temp wise. A day to do what can be done. I'll be running a cord to the BR coop and see if Ii can get them laying. If not they have to go. Funny thing is, he's the only roo without frostbite and that coop is the warmest. Perhaps just not light enough.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  8. Lapeerian

Lapeerian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Our 3 horses have been spending most days in the stalls. We are gone all day, so if there is a chance of nasty weather, in they stay. Thankfully they are well behaved while stall bound, even the 6 year old. My old man that I lost during the summer preferred to spend all his time inside in winter. He was 13.2, large pony in a roomy 12x12 stall. He was 32. Wish the weather would decide if it was winter or spring, I've had enough of the freeze/thaw/ice crap.

9. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    "Womanly" things? Isn't that just about everything?[​IMG]

10. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    You bet it is Ginny!

Soooooo hoping we only get a little rain. I dont want to be up all night tomorrow night making sure we arent flooding!!!

Rancher---sounds more like a lighting problem with your BR. Worth a try putting in a light for a while. Glad to hear your eggs are doing well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by