NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I've read that it is not good to put OACV in the water every time.

As for Oxine. I don't think so. I try very hard not to add anything more non organic to my chickens than I have too. Doesn't make any sense to me to do so. I might as well buy store bought eggs and save the money. I'd rather wash waterers.

2. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Silkies look sick and Frizzles look sick so that guy would look sick.

3. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Afternoon everyone! Got an inch of snow and then ice on top. Driving home was interesting and the county really stinks at road maintenance. They need to take lesson from upstate as to when and how to plow and sand during winter weather. Anyways, my snow tires finally got to feel some snow and I must say they work rather well. Made it home safely up the mountain.

Oh boy are the cheeps mad about the white stuff and being locked up! I ran out to gather eggs and did I ever get a talking to by both coops! Divas arent happy, terrorists arent happy! Not that they would step foot out into the snow mind you! Anyways, got lots of eggs again today so chicken momma is happy. I am hoping it warms up like they say and all this crap melts. My silkies have covered runs so they are outside checking out the scenery.

Good news! I am getting not one but two silkie hens to replace the two that were supposed to be hens but are roos. Now I just need to find the guys a new home and I will be all set. So excited! I will have to set up the dog cage tomorrow for their quarantine period. Legolas will finally have his women!

Rancher--you crack me up! Sizzel water cleaners! Is that a new marketing ploy??? Oh, I also prefer to just use dawn dish soap and a scrub brush to clean my waterers. Works fine, even on the green stuff.

Aria--nice that you at least have some hens with the boys! I am hoping to hatch by mid march. Depends on how much longer the bitter cold is going to stay around.

Okay--hope everyone made out okay with the storm.

4. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    pharmchick,

the warm weather is really coming -- mid 50's on Wednesday -- but it'll be short-lived, so don't get too excited. I wouldn't even bother to tell the chickies. [​IMG]

Hope you have lots of luck with your new girls and also with finding new digs for the roos.

TOB

5. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Ok I really did it ..My roo Lucky has Really bad frostbite ..I closed the coop when it was really cold ..
    Yesterday it was just the tips of his comb . We sprayed it with blue coat
    I am not sure if the ladies have been picking at him or not .
    Our white chicken Goldie had small blood spotss all over her ..I thought at first she was being picked on ..It turns out she was being splashed when he did his Roo head nod .
    But it was Lucky the roosters blood . the back bottom of his comb was all congealed blood .
    It had run down his neck & on his neck feathers ..I am glad he is a Australorp as you couldnt see that it was blood in his black feathers . We sprayed it all down with blue coat again ..
    Will it get better or worse ? What should I do about it ?
    I am thinking of separating him ..or watching them tomorrow to see if the hens are picking on him .
    I think I read somewhere that it doesnt hurt ..& will fall of ..it looks really nasty .. And I did it to him ..

6. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Now I don't think you did it to him. It happened to my marans rooster and some of the others too. My Dels got it and my Orps last year. I felt really bad but nothing seemed to work at preventing it.
    If you keep it from getting infected it will get better and the only damage will be to his appearance. While the blue coat is messy it does hide the red so the other birds won't pick at it.

Make sure you give him a good covering of blue kote. You could also rub him with some antibiotic cream I suppse.

My birds don't seem to stay inside even though it is cold, at least not on the coldest days. Chickens expell a lot of moisture with their breathing but I'm not sure what can be done about it. It's very hard to keep things dry. If you open up for more ventilation then things get cold. It 's a hard balance to achieve IMO.

I wish you well,

Rancher

7. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    On frostbite, my human son was prone to it, and the pediatrician told me to grease him up with vasoline when he was going out in the cold.

8. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    Gramma chick,

With regard to the weather & animal care.....it's the same guessing game some times with my horse. He is a senior, at 22 years old, and has never had much of a coat. His prior owners 7 years ago warned me that he feels the cold. So winter's can be hard on him. I do blanket him, but when the weather really snaps like this past week, or we get one of our classic winds ripping up from the south and bringing wet weather, I make the decision to keep him in, for at least most of the day. He is a happy guy when he gets outside and doesn't like confinement. Who can blame him? Some times, it's a real toss up as what's best to do. So don't beat yourself up. Even in my newbie chicken status, I have read that frostbite is fairly common in a flock. I do hope he heals up nicely.

TOB

9. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    Your frizzle looks a lot like me on a humid, drizzly August afternoon....talk about FRIZZ-le! [​IMG]

Better look for him than for me.

TOB

10. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by