NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

2. Gramma Chick

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Im sorry to hear that . Did you have them locked up or loose ?
    a fox got 2 of our babies when they were free ranging in the spring ..
    But when they went to bed they were locked up like fort knox .( totally surrounded by wood )
    When We moved the coop we made a bigger run for them ...My husband & son thought it was safe for them
    I however am still going around the outside looking for flaws where predators can exploit a small hole .
    We also have 2 motion sensor lights on the shed that they share . On on the coop side & one one the other side .
    We also had a blanket on the cloths line that flapped in the wind off & on during the night . ( not near the light sensor though .)
    I need to put it back up ..The wind storm took it down ..its buried in the snow somewhere ..
    This has showed a weakness maybe ..You have a chance to fix ..it

3. Gramma Chick

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Love shares ! Us too sore throat & cold this week ..Probably the great waether we have had

4. Gramma Chick

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    sorry multiple post

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  5. Gramma Chick

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Funny story ..We have a stray cat that showed up in this cold ...
    I think we have adopted him . hes adopted us . I want to call him spaz ..
    He is real friendly & needy . You look at him he meows you pet him he meows ..So love starved
    He is submissive to our male cat ..One of the 1st day he was here ..
    Him & a chicken were smelling each other almost nose to nose ..Then they both chickened out ..
    Well today ..Our hen doggie & blackie /spaz were both on the back deck ..
    All the sudden I hear a commotion ..see the cat backing up ..& the hen going forward ..PECK !
    I guess blackie will now respect the chickens ..He was following me into the run ..I had to chase him out ..
    They didnt like him in there ...CLucking & a cluckling ...LOL

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    It's a rare occurrence for there to be a bear siting around here. I agree a bear would make quick work of a hoop coop.

Now on the fox thing I still advocate "marking" your territory. I haven't done it yet but suspect if you tack a piece of brown or yellowed cloth to the tree you "mark" it should keep the smell there for quite a while. Urine is a good way of letting varmints know your there. This of course is for men only.

On my runs I bring the chicken wire/ hard ware cloth down a couple of feet and bend it out away from the coop/run. I then allow the grass weeds to grow up through it. I can still run the mower over it keeping it raised up a bit. Though I have thought about planting herbs around the coop too. The chickens don't seem to bother , Lemon Balm or Mints. They would look nice and smell nice too. I have heard mice don't like the smell of mint but can't say how good it is.

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    The cord has a clip on the end of it for hanging a waterer. In the warmer days I like to keep gallon waterers cuz I think they can get a bigger swig of water. The cord is usually tucked up under the roof.

I also like to keep two feeders and two waterers in the runs so those lower on the pecking order are sure to get a chance to eat. However right now there is only one waterer since it's heated. They seem ok with it.

[​IMG]

8. Gramma Chick

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  9. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY

10. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    Ok, The 3 Sizzle chicks are still for sale!!!! I really need to sell them very soon, so if you know anyone who would like them, let me know!! They don't have the frizzling but do carry the gene so breed them and you will get more sizzles!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by