NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Rancher, I like your philosophy! [​IMG]

Stony, wow - that's a lot of birds. I am amazed at some perceptions I've had in the past that have been proved incorrect as I read and learn here...like how you can have more than one rooster without utter carnage. Thanks for sharing those great pics -- loved them!

TOB

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  2. Lapeerian

Lapeerian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    We cracked open the jumbo egg this morning. I expected a double yolk at least, maybe even a triple. Nope, just one huge single yolk. Of course hubby shook it (Checking for an egg inside?), so the yolk broke. It did have several meat spots, so we scambled up the jumbo egg with a cracked egg gathered yesterday and tossed it in with some other scraps. Getting so we keep a bowl of 'chicken fodder' in the fridge. Bits of leftover food gathered for treats. They enjoyed it all.
    Happy to report little girl is getting better. Antibiotics are working. Coughing is few, far between, and very productive in removing lung gunk. Sadly, mommy is now coming down with something. Waking up with very sore throat in the morning, so been eating toast with honey which helps greatly. Time to dig out the antihistamine to dry up the nasal drip causing the sore throat. Actually have been pretty good at staying healthy this winter, so it was time. Too much cuddle time with the sickly child. [​IMG]

3. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    that isn't all of them. Much of what is written on the net is just wrong. I've killed 16 roosters in the last few months. About 10 more to go and I'll still have about 15 of them.

4. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    I have seven large fowl boys and one thinks-he's-large-fowl banty, and, other than some occasional squabbling, they all get along fine. They don't even all crow at once, as the upper echelon doesn't tolerate nonsense on the part of the low-ranking birds.

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire and Team Tube Feeding XO

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

I'd love them. Where are you located? I have ALWAYS wanted a sizzle.

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I just got off the phone with DS. He's the computer expert. This bugger has been driving me crazy and still is. Everything was messed up.
    He said it could be "pinterest" a new site I've been going on. I've also been watching PBS nature shows. The Snowy owl was good.

I could watch Downton Abby, but I have enough drama.

I haven't been leaving the house and DD told me today it's starting to get weird. I did leave to pick up the GD this AM but I hate the cold and don't like to go out unless I have to.

Of course I do go out to take care of the chickens and collect eggs. The light has worked wonders on the egg situation. 16 - 17 a day now. Not great but better. Maybe 50%.

No more from the BR'/SLW's but I haven't put a light on in their coop yet.

Lapeerian - You need to rest. No TV or drama. I know you have children but rest when you can. Let DH wait on you for a change. [​IMG]

7. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Ah Stony--good eats and a side job at the same time! Looking forward to doing the same here come spring.

Hen--same here except I have 2 big boys and 5 banty boys. Only Olaf and Little Man crow in the am as they are the top roos of the acreage. Otherwise the boys are pretty quiet and get along okay.

Is there anything a rir wont eat:? I swear that whatever I put out there, even if I think they will not eat it, they do. My diva big girls are picky, my silkies are picky but these rir's eat anything that isnt nailed down! At least they are laying really well.

Anyone interested in some silkie boys? I have 3 for sale! Nice boys. PM me if you think you might want them, either now or later.

8. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    That's a great way of looking at it. I agree and I see it that way, too.
    I love your hoop coop. I'd consider one but I am concerned about predators. Do you not have bears over yonder? We do and they would make short work of it unless I rigged electric lines on it somehow. They tore apart a well built shed of my neighbors to get at her guineas last year. They are desperate because we didn't have any mast on the trees and food is scarce. I've got a 3-mile electric charger on my coop and run so they haven't bothered my birds (yet).

9. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    I'm sorry. [​IMG] I agree with Rancher. It doesn't have to be. How did it manage to get in? I had to add lots of extra screws and hardware cloth when I first started. After reading on the predator forum, I found mistakes on my own coop and fixed it up better. I still want to do electric fence this spring.
    Glad she's feeling better! Sorry you're not. I'll trade you. I deal with 43 first graders every day. Sneezing, coughing, puking, nose picking, chewing pencils. Eeewww.

10. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Lapeerian,

what are "meat spots"?

Glad to hear your daughter is feeling better, but sorry you're coming down with something. There are a lot of long-lived bugs out there. I am on my 3rd different antibiotic for a really stubborn sinus infection. This one's finally making a difference. Hope you can lick your bug sooner rather than later.

TOB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by