NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    yes but where would I put them?

2. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well now I don't know where the pipes are but.

We put in a new bathroom at our old house and the pipes where under the floor inside the enclosed underside of the porch we converted to a bath room. Anyhow while it was insulated it still on occasion got cold enough to freeze the pipes.

So I took a 100 watt bulb and put in the light fixture there and left it on 24/7. It kept things just warm enough to keep the pipes from freezing.

This pipe freezing business is not uncommon I'm finding out. At the church they had to move all the pipes inside the wall to outside the wall in one of the bathrooms cuz they froze and burst.

So far we've been fortunate here, though I do have most of them covered with those foam covers and it stays warm enough. I did uncover the crawl space where they are so the heat from the cellar keeps thing ok.

3. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    That Brabanter is gorgeous! He looks like a pheasant. Must... resist... chicken math...

4. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    So this is NOT a pic of your birds? Where did you get them? I do want some and was just thinking I could put them in with the EE's. They're very pretty. I guess I could split the coop half EE and half Brabanters.

Personally I think a coop should have the minimum of 12 - 15 birds. For me it would 13. 12 hens and 1 rooster. Maybe two. A nice number for warmth in the winter without heat.

This would be the hoop coop. About 9' x 8' with the same sized run or bigger. Which gives them , 9' x 16 ' in covered area.

TOB - how you doing with that coop? When do you think you'll build? April? Cuz I have hens. 1 BR, 1 EE or more, 1 Del and BM. ( I have a coop with 4 EE's , 1 BR, 1 BM , 1Del hen and 1 Del roo.

The roo is up for grabs if anyone wants him.

5. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    Rancher, we have a plastic vent cover to the dryer. It sits flat on the outside of the house, as the 3 or. 4horizontal flaps just hang there. When the dryer is working the warm air pushes the light plastic flaps open. Eleven years, so far, so good.

I think Reveille has a home, but not for a fees weeks. A friend is a former chicken owner, and is thinking that she might like to have some again, especially since they could help fertilize her extensive gardens. I may give her a couple of hens too. Yay for Reveille. Now I better go clean his mini coop. He is making the garage kinda stinky.

I scooped the poop boards today, since it is warm out there, and it was a good thing. There was so much poop that it looked like the hoodoos of Bryce Canyon, but not so colorful.

6. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Rancher,

trying to stick with my 6 pullets: the 2 from you, 2 from Marquisella and 2 from Javagirl. With regard to the coop, we plan on having it built and ready for tenants in April. You will have my juvie Dels ready for me the 2nd or 3 week, roughly?

Marquisella,

That Brabanter is absolutely STUNNING. What a remarkable, dandy looking guy! Great photo, too.

TOB

7. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    [​IMG] This is a strangely poetic description.

8. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Pics for you. any questions just ask. My fingers are getting tired of talking. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    They will be just about ready to start laying. Perhaps.

10. ag29ande

ag29ande Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Delanson, ny
    :( a fox made off with one of my buff Orpington hens last night. The downside of raising birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by