NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    So sorry...

TOB

2. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    Sorry about your BO hen. I know how it is. We have a hawk that likes to camp out near the barns waiting for our birds to show themselves. It really liked my bantams.

3. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Glass's satement belongs on a chicken calendar under a winter picture of a coop with some chickens outside!!!!

4. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    sorry to hear of your loss. We have had a fox scouting our chickens. Electric poultry netting keeps them at bay.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  5. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Evening all! Hope everyone is battened down for the coming mess of tomorrow. I have to work of course. Gave the big cheeps the leftovers this morning and opened up a can of corn and one of green beans (unsalted) and mixed them up and gave them to the silkies. Everything was eaten when I got back from work today. I freshened up the terrorist coop and everyone got their food and water loaded up so they can stay in tomorrow. I have to leave so early that it is better to keep them cooped then worry about them while I am at work. I am getting my new silkie girl this week! Cant wait to see her!

ag29ande--sorry to hear of your loss. Everything is looking for food right now.

Rancher--as usual, nice pics of your coops.

Be well everyone!

6. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Rancher,

your coops look snug and your birds look content! [​IMG]

TOB

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    It can be, but doesn't have to be if precautions are taken. I'm not saying the weren't. Only you know that. However I would not just cough it up to being a downside of raising chickens either.

I am sorry for your loss,

Rancher

8. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    some of the birds Last pic is old. Still have those girls and the center rear roo.

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Its funny when folks see all my chickens out and say "Wow, that's a lot of chickens", and I think heck that ain't nothing compared to what some other folks have.

They also think it's a lot of work to take care of them but I don't see it as work. They play golf , which I think is a waste of good time and nothing to show for it. I raise chickens and feed family and friends who play golf.

I just go out on a good day with a pitcher of lemonade, a lawn chair, magazine and take lots of breaks.

Though right now it's would have to be a thermos of hot cocoa, an electric fire place, blanket and magazine and do nothing but sit there and watch the birds. [​IMG]

It's funny too that I don't have a cat cuz I can't clean a litter box but I have chickens. Cat's never leave behind anything worth having. Hairballs and poop.

Nice birds Stony.

10. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    thanks Rancher, back at cha. Your pics inspired mine to go up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by