NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    Hen --- Congrats on the new job!

Now off to the barn for chores. Then back to the house for more chores.

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Yes, exactly. There will be a lot of clearing to do. Loads of poison ivy in there too. Ah, that's the price I will pay I suppose.

3. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY

Ya know , that has crossed my mind with a couple of mine that pipped and never finished up hatching. My chickens lay very thick shelled eggs (or most of them do...one lays an egg so porous I don't ever hatch it). I have wondered if the chick would have made it if I had taken some tweesers and peeled the shell back so they just had to deal with the membrane to finish hatching. I think that Featherz has done that with varied results.....but if it gets me a couple of live chicks it would be worth it. (I say that now, BEFORE the results of the 48 eggs I am going to give to the grade school and I know how many of my birds go broody this spring. I may change my tune after May 1st)

4. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    nope. My Sumatra's have really thick shells and hatch just fine

5. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

6. Framac

Framac Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    New Berlin
    The ones in Question are Ameracaunas. There was a Maran hen without a rooster in the pen, and all 4 of her eggs hatched.

7. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Ugh, sorry to hear! From what I've read, there's a high incidence of recurrence. Of course, I am not in any way, shape or form experienced. Just regurgitating stuff I've read in chicken care books. Were you able to push it back inside the hen?

Some say smearing the ovi-duct and vent with honey acts as an anti-bacterial, but I can't advise one way or the other. Maybe someone else on here can.

I hope your hen recovers well ... and completely defies the textbook statistics!! [​IMG]

TOB

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I've only had prolapse happen twice with two Delaware hens. Neither survived the ordeal. The second one I didn't notice it until it had dried and crusted over. I put her down. It's not a pleasant thing to deal with and from what I've read apt to reoccur. Infection is hard to prevent I think.

If you do get her cleaned up. Reduce her feed so she doesn't lay another egg for as long as you can prevent it. Give the muscles time to heal.

While we all like our hens to lay large or jumbo eggs it is a strain on a hens muscles. I really should research it more. Though a lot of times I find conflicting opinions and not much help.

Most of science I think finds chickens to be expendable and cheap to replace. Much like when I raised Cavies/Guinea Pigs. I got the Blue book from Cornell. It didn't help since not much research was done.

Cavies will sometimes become anorexic, for no apparent reason. Only once did I have pig survive and I'm not even sure what I did to help. I just tried a battery of things and Shaggy got better. Though I suppose if it were a disease that wiped out hundred at a time, then something might have been done.

In either case you have my sympathy, Pharm.

9. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    Quick question (again) on the electric fence. What happens when a chicken touches the wire? Can you prevent it?

I heard a raccoon out there early this morning. [​IMG] Couldn't find it with the spotlight.

I already have $29 in egg money saved for the fence. Getting there! It's funny. Some days we don't sell any, then other days we sell out.

10. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I find that chickens are so well insulated(feathers) they don't really feel it unless the step on it. This does not usually happen, but on occasion a pole will fall down(I have really rocky ground and sometimes I am not diligent about pushing the poles all the way in).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by