NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    It's in the oven. BUT it mentions salt (not listed in the ingredients) and no where does it say to add the Vanilla. I am now looking for that Lemon Sauce stuff.

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    How far back is that Lemon Sauce stuff? For my pound cake. I do have some Apple/Pear/walnut compote that might be good warmed up over the top of a slice.

3. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    We can meet somewhere if you wish, cuz my house is not close to anything that resembles an interstate Highway.

It is hard to "sex" chicks. Next to impossible with some breeds before they either lay an egg or crow....but I can give it my best guess on pullets, if that is what you seek. And you can have whatever you want....Only pure breed I will have will be Ameruacanas....rest will be barnyard mixes....All my hens are good layers.....the Ameruacanas mature late, the rest mature around 24 weeks.

4. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Chicken Mentors,

How do you usually transport chickens back and forth?
    I was considering finding a used (wire) dog crate. Then I saw a neat homemade device: someone took a large plastic crate, like you would use to store anything from kids toys to Christmas decorations. The center of the snap-on lid was cut out and re-lined with wire mesh. I thought this might be a cheaper option that would be both easy for me to carry myself and also easy to clean.

I'm beginning to think about transporting my new birds in the spring, and also starting to purchase some things in advance so I don't take a hit all at once.

Thanks for your suggestions!

TOB

5. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    BAKER-RANCHER,

Here's the lemon syrup recipe...

TOB

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  6. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Rancher, the lemon syrup with directions.

7. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    I have a large dog kennel that's good for hauling around a couple of full-sized birds (which reminds me that I have to get that back from my husband's co-worker who got the chicken dinners on the hoof from me). The guy who sold me my Japanese Bantam pair had a neat idea. He takes cardboard boxes, cuts holes in the sides (like windows) and covers the holes with screen. They're sturdy, ventilated, and disposable.

8. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY

I usually use a large laundry basket and throw a towel over the top. (large towel) For chicks I use a cardboard box because they don't want the ventalation, they want WARM. Once I used my cat carrier, but it was really too small for the two pullets I put in it, so I went back to the laundry basket/towel set up. However I haven't transported for much more than 15 miles cuz I like to "buy local".

Unless you have a truck you don't want something with a wire bottom, cuz they will poop....riding tends to scare the poop out of them.

9. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    And their poop when traveling has that more acid. "scared the poop out of me" smell.....well it does to me anyway. Smells worse in a car, than out of........

10. Lapeerian

Lapeerian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    For the big Orp boy I just rehomed, he enjoyed a clean litter box with the door flap duck-taped shut. It was dark so he didn't make a peep the entire time. Took out the carbon filter in the top for air. He only spent maybe an hour in the box. That was the only thing I had big enough for him that would still fit in the car. When I got my chicks, Tab & Trav had a small cardboard box with the hand/toe warmers stuck inside to keep the babies warm. My other batch of chickies were a little older, so just a cardboard box. Now when they got bigger and I was transporting between the brooder tank and the outside pen for playtime, I found a guinea pig cage worked well. Of course the butts still were below the cage part so poop stay contained in the large plastic base.
    I've seen a picute of the plastic tote/wire set-up before, maybe in the brooder thread. I think that would a good way to transport anything larger than chicks, just make sure it is tall enough if you are getting big/tall birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by