NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I seldom use bleach...I use it more for disinfecting purposes than for clothes. My husband's uniform shirts need it every now and again, usually though , no bleach. I don't use wash water on my eating veggies.

2. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Congratulations on the new house!! That is exciting! From your description, it is going toward the woods,to the side and in back of your chicken coops?

3. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    morning all. had ice skim on my heated waterers this morning so i know iy was really cold out laxt night. almost froze this morning haughling water and feed. I had to rescue a sexlink yesterday as I noticed a couple other hens pecking at her backside. Turns out she had a prolapsed vent, probably from the egg she laid as it had some blood on it. It looked horrible when dh brought her in but after cleaning her up it wasnt too bad. I sprayed the whole area with vetrimycin and did so again this morning. She is resting comfortably in the big dog cage downstairs and chicken daddy had been spoiling her. I am hoping it will continue to withdraw and heal up. I can see how it wouldnt take long for a flock to eat one of their own when they see blood. They were relentless chasing her around and pecking her.

Adorava---I left my silkie girl stripe in the coop with her eggs and just put some hardware cloth up as a divider. After they hatched, that lasted about a week until she decided she wanted out with the chicks and pushed it over. Anyways, it gave Little Man and her sisters a chance to see and get used to the chicks before they actually got to interact with them. Worked out fine till I discovered that sassy stole the chicks from their momma and wouldnt let her near them. I felt bad for stripe because she wanted her babies back but sassy wouldnt let her near them without a good peck. Its a crap shoot whatever you do. I will probably give little miss witchy pants her own eggs to hatch this year so she will leave her sisters alone.

Off to the pharm for an exciting funfilled monday of ringing phones, faxes and ears from guests. Stay warm everyone.

4. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
  5. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    Great Article! Thanks.
    Thanks for your feedback. Julia is not the alpha hen in that pen, so I'm not sure how the other hen will react, and if Julia will set her straight. She is pretty docile and timid, as this is her first time broody. I have seen the rooster still *try* to breed her though...she screams bloody murder, but doesn't really do anything to him. Maybe I will just fence off around the nest box, to give her some peace from the rooster, but still allow her to see the other 2. I just don't want the rooster trying to get in the next box to breed her and break an egg in the process.

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    No it is not mine. I know that roosters are chickens as well as hens.

7. Framac

Framac Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    New Berlin
    I have a Zareba 50 mile fencer for my Sheep/Horses, and tie of it to go around the run. It packs a punch. Our pasture fence is braided rope. When we only had about 800 yards of fence on it, my wife's uncle and Motor bike buddies came down from Canada to visit. One, in his leather jacket touched the back side of his arms to the fence. It left burn marks on his arms. All he kept saying afterwards is "That rope really hurts.!"

From a practical side, the sheep and horses "Respect" the fence very well. except for a little lamb, no one goes through it.

Framac

8. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Thanks, folks! [​IMG] I've wanted an overnight position for years, as I'm nocturnal by nature and hate having to be somewhere and functional first thing in the morning. I can do it, but I hate it. The birds will like it, as I'll be around all day.

This weather can end any time it likes now. Yuck.

9. Framac

Framac Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    New Berlin
    Anyone every have problems with "Thick shelled eggs" hatching?

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I wondered if that could have been the case with my marans. I do get eggs that have thicker shells.

Now if you don't mind if I change the subject a bit. I have a woman coming for hatching eggs. She works in a senior home nearby. I asked her if they needed help and she said they just got an opening in housekeeping. I do like to work with the elderly. I'm old but not yet there. Even though I pretend to be here. So she said she'd bring me an application.

I do want a part time job. Just to keep busier. Today is not busy and school days I'm done by 1:30. Today is watch Castle on DVD from the library.

It's cold out and there is not much I can do in the cold. I might make that pound cake though. Hey I got eggs, so if I screw it up what's the big deal, right? DW is the cook. Lord have mercy you don't want to be here at Christmas time.

Henni - I do hope your job works out.

Well back to another episode of Castle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by