NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
  2. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    OLD FASHION POUND CAKE

3 c. sugar
    1 lb. butter, softened
    10 eggs
    4 c. plain flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    2 tsp. vanilla

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Measure and sift flour, baking powder and dash of salt. Add flour to mixture in several parts. Stop mixer, add about 1/3 of the flour, start mixer back slowly, then mix fast JUST UNTIL MIXED. Repeat until dry ingredients are all incorporated. Scrape down sides after each mixing. Put in 10 inch tube pan that has been greased and floured. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Cool in pan for a few minutes before removing.

I used 1 cup sugar to 1 cup lemon juice( I used the stuff in the green bottle,,Price chopper I think) and boil until it becomes syrupy or until you get dime sized bubbles. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, poke many holes in the top, leaving it in the pan and gently spoon syrup over it. I ended up using the first batch up on just the top. When I took the cake out of the pan to do the bottom I ended up making another batch of syrup.

So, If I had to do it again, I would start off using 2 cups sugar and 2 cups lemon juice. Follow the same procedure by poking holes(sometimes I use a fork, or sometimes wooden chopsticks). then spooning syrup on top and bottom(while out of pan).

I just copied and pasted previous quotes. I plan on trying to make this cake using duck eggs.

3. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills

4. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    Thanks! This time I printed AND saved to my computer!

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY

FYI, if you have trouble cutting a pasting to Word. Open this site with Explorer. I can't cut and paste with Google Chrome or Firefox.

Forgot to say. I had a piece and it was good, but next time I'll shorten the baking time. If you know your oven runs hotter or cooler in temp, you might want to change the time too.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  6. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Sorry, Rancher, but what is CL ? Thanks a bunch.

TOB

7. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    CL = craigslist

8. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    Hubby and my younger son are going to start building nest boxes right now. This is definitely putting the cart before the horse, but it's a great little project for Shane to get involved in during winter break while we wait for our new girls!! I may take a pic or two to share with everyone.

Meanwhile, the architect-hubby has been fine tuning our coop design. We look over the plans most every night and revise things after discussion. It's starting to come together, and I am getting like a kid who can't wait for Christmas -- but it's only Halloween! LOL!

TOB

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  9. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    Ahhhh...thank you, Stony! [​IMG]

TOB

10. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Afternoon all! Came home to snow and of course was blamed for it by the cheeps. They were all hiding under their coops when I got home. Gave everyone some scratch in their coops (so they can do the work of turning over the litter) and filled waterers and feeders. My hen downstairs is looking better. Her prolapse has pretty much gone back in and the vetrimycin seems to be healing up the damage done by her sisters. She hasnt laid an egg for the last couple of days so thats good. I am hoping she recovers fully and can go back with the flock.

Oh, I came home to find that half the pound cake is gone. I am guessing that dh took it to work. Must be he really likes it and wanted to share. I hope you are enjoying yours Rancher. I also hope your dw feels better soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by