NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. horsekeeper

horsekeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Middleburgh, NY
    There's an angel food cake cooling on the counter. Sure hope it came out good. It used around 10 eggs (1 1/4 cup of whites). I figured to scramble up the yolks, microwave them and crumble them for the chickens.

The pound cake was a big hit and is finishing up at my daughter's tonight with strawberries and whipped cream. I took over 2 slices each when I made it and it was gone before she could get to the store for strawberries.

Does anyone make their own pasta? Saw that it takes about an egg per serving and pasta makers are not too expensive. I'm trying to hold out until this spring when the farm stand down the road opens. The owner said she would sell chicken and duck eggs for me. She has a good customer base from downstate and they are all into locally grown fresh foods.

2. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I used to have a pasta maker, but it was tremendously loud and the pasta was always mushy. I gave it away.

3. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Sharing that much pound cake is probably a good thing. I kept bringing some in to share and I would eat it with my "drive into work tea"...probably NOT a good thing!

4. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    My sholder hurts so much I can hardly type. Afraid I have gotten old enough to have bursitis or something evil like that in the joint. Feels better if I cross the arm across my body and pull it up toward my heart--whatever that means. No coop cleaning for me for a while. I hope I can find the clothes pins for my nose when I collect eggs, cuz when it warms up it's gonna stink stink stink down there.

Gonna rest my arm. I'll keep reading tho.

5. JayinCohoes

JayinCohoes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    Sharon Springs, NY
    Hi Horsekeeper,

I've started making my own pasta just to use up some of my eggs. I hate buying egg products when I have so many eggs sitting in my frig. The ingredients are very simply just egg, flour, salt, oil and water. I use the recipes on Food.com under homemade pasta. With a food processor mixing the ingredients is very easy but you could also do it the old fashioned way of cracking the egg in the middle of a mound of flour. There's a good video on youtube that shows how easy it is to make. Here's the link to the video:
    I love the guy's accent.
    I have a hand crank pasta maker which works great but it only makes fettuccini or spagetti. I also make raviolli and capatelli and youtube has great videos on making these as well. When you're shopping for a pasta making see how to clean before buying it. Most can not be washed without rusting. So you'll need to be able to get a dry brush in all of the crevasses. I use a dry paintbrush which works great as long as the crumbs are dry.

I just started making my own mayonnaise and salad dressings. Anything to use up these eggs. Let me know how it came out.

Cheers,
    Jay

6. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    [​IMG]6/6 EE eggs are developing (one week in)!!! Chickprincess, Buddy is doing his job!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  7. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Don't know how old you are, Cass, but I'm "well entrenched" into the 40's. When a spontaneous and inexplicable bout of hip pain started last spring, I was perplexed but assumed it would go away eventually. No such luck. I found out recently that it's bursitis. Yours sounds more painful than mine, though -- I hope you get some relief soon!

Tough OLD Bird [​IMG]

8. JayinCohoes

JayinCohoes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    Sharon Springs, NY
    Hi all,

I know many of you are hatching your own chicks. I love to know if anyone is planning to hatch ducklings. I wanted to add a couple of ducks to my flock. I know tractor supply will have some but I don't want to get 6 and I didn't want to add more chickens this year. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love it.

Thanks,
    Jay

9. horsekeeper

horsekeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Middleburgh, NY
    Thanks for the info, Jay. I saw one on line made out of plastic that had good reviews and would probably wash up nice. Will have to consider how many types of pasta I might want to make.

Sending you a PM about ducks.

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well I was going to share somethings but then realized everything on BYC or any other forum is out there for all the world to see. Keep that in mind when sharing. If you want to see what I mean Google search your user name. The same is true for pics. Which is making me reconsidering posting pics of my property.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by