NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    Oh man, thats right! Chick/duckling "season" is approaching at TS! I better stay away from that place otherwise I might end up bringing home a few ducklings myself!

IF** I were to get ducks, do they have to be kept in a seperate area away from chickens as far as the "coop" goes? Or can they be housed together??

2. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    either way. Mine are housed seperate but many people I know house them together. Many of my Sumatra's fly into the duck coop to hang with the ducks every day. They all get along great

3. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    That's my boy! lol Every egg I crack open is also fertilized. Good traits in these BA's! I'm happy!
    I would lean toward frostbite. The ends of the two middle toes also look paler than the rest. Maybe that's just the pic? If it were me, I would clean it well with peroxide, slather on Neosporin (without pain relief) and cover both feet with Vetrap (wrapped between the toes... you can find youtube vids of how to wrap it searching for bumblefoot). Poor thing. Is she holding her feet up at all or walking like it hurts?

4. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009

5. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Bumble foot occurs on the large pad of the foot. Usually doesn't change color. Anything turning black this time of year is probably frostbite. The toes get it usually, if the roost isn't wide enough so the toes hang down, and aren't covered up by the birds feathers/body. or, if they are in a cage with a wire floor, not solid. I had a couple of 6 week old chicks in a cage with a wire floor, and inn January when it got below zero, their toes got frostbite. The tips turned black, and eventually sloughed off. They had a heat source, but I guess it wasn't enough. Anyway, then I put them in an area with solid floor & shavinngs. They are fine now. Lost the toenails on the toes that were affected. They will not be show birds withou toes but are still functional as breeders.

6. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    When i noticed it he was limping, but iv had him inside for 2 days now . Giving him epsom salt soaks twice a day and he is seems to be walking fine now. Altho he dosnt like me touching his feet.
    I think i caught it early enough to save his toes..but i believe 2 toenails might fall off.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  7. JayinCohoes

JayinCohoes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    Sharon Springs, NY
    The only good thing about TS is that they're close and always have a selection of chicks and ducklings. But I've heard horror stories about hatchery birds. I'd rather buy ducklings from someone local but I only want 2 or 3 to go with my 6 red sexlinks. They would be more as pets so I'm just looking for friendly and non-flighty. Runners seem like to good choice but I'm not picky. I had 6 Runners when I was a child and have such great memories of spending all day going for a walk with them following right behind me. My chickens do that a little bit but not like my ducks used to. I think TS only had Peking ducklings last year and I don't want to have to buy 6 because I'd have to cull half of them or re-home them. If someone has a suggestion of the best place to buy them other than finding local please let me know.

Cheers,
    Jay

8. JayinCohoes

JayinCohoes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    Sharon Springs, NY
    When I was younger I had a hen with frostbite on the whole toe. It eventually fell off and scarred over but she seemed to do just fine after that. I'm sure it most have been very painful and I wouldn't want to see that now with any of my girls. I think the problem back then was that their perch wasn't 100% dry and clean so their toes froze to their droppings. Now I make sure their perch stays clean especially when it goes into the 20's or below at night. If it's frostbite I thought the area frostbitten would turn black. your pics look like the area has turned more red which tells me that there is still good circulation there.

Jay

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY

If you have this problem on more than one bird, I'd say it's frost bite. I'd put some straw or hay down just outside the coop for them to walk on. Reapply as necessary.

If you have a run, that they are in I'd try to cover at least part of it to prevent snow and ice. You can see some wood shavings on the ground in front of the second pic coop. The door is closed so I could show the fleece on the front but it's always open when they are out. I also use straw. Then in the spring I'll just rake it up and toss it on the compost. The first pic is inside a covered run. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  10. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT

Same here, too bad I wasn't still living in Albany, I'd split a batch with ya, but I too like the runners ever since Stony shared the pics of his. They look like they have a ton of personality! If like to talk with my neighbor too and see if she'd ever be interested in adding any out in her pasture. She has the perfect spot with a small pond, a small lean to, etc. She's already offered up her land to house a horse if I ever decide to pursue that.

I could always get 2 or 3 here, after I rehome 2-3 of my chickens, and convert my larger coop into a duck house. If I can get my two Orpington hens to join the silkies in their coop :). I'm probably getting way ahead of myself here tho. My husband will want to strangle me if I mention the thought of one more animal! Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by