NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I think what I like about boxes is there is no washing in between. No worry about cross contamination. Just toss the box and get a new one.

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Now if only I could keep African violets alive that would be really nice. [​IMG]

3. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY

Those are soooo cute.

Plant your tomato plants in eggshells, when they get big repot in bigger container, leaving eggshell in place (maybe crack it when you repot it so the roots can grow through) Tomatoes get some blight if there isn't enough calcium in the soil. All you folks making 12 egg cakes will have LOTS of shells for starting plants in. I feed a lot of my empties back to the birds, however I can't feed them all....to many eggs, too few birds, it seems. So I am going to start my tomatoes in eggshells stuck in cartons, leaving the store bought starter trays for important things like broccoli and cauliflower, which I ran out of last year due to sharing with the chickens. (fortunately they were satisfied with the leaves and I got to eat the flowers. )

Last year my tomatoes got some blight and I threw my oyster shell suppliiment for the birds on the soil around the affected plants, plucked off the blighted fruit and the plants went on to produce unblighted tomatoes....which was wonderful, cuz I hadn't canned enough for the winter at the point I threw the oyster shell out there. I think that oyster shell is a little expensive as a garden suppliment so I am going to try the egg shell "pots" this year and see if I have a problem again.

4. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    These are adorable! My MIL has blue eggs, I may give these as easter gifts for my daughter's teachers.

5. Lapeerian

Lapeerian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    7 eggs out of 10 hens tonight - yahoo they are laying again! The GLW has gone into molt, the Ancona's must lay on opposite days as I get one white a day. Same with the Orp girls. Picked up the chick order form from CountryMax today, they order from Cackle. But the minimum 6 chick must be all of the same variety. I'll wait for any leftovers to get a mix of breeds or see what all you crazies hatch out! Not that I know what we will do with that many eggs in a week...

6. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Chickens are kicking in laying like gangbusters...over 2 dozen a day for the past few days...even my blue copper Marans laid 9 eggs out of 10 hens,,..,.unheard of![​IMG]

7. mderby48

mderby48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    Hopefully my ladies start laying again soon! I got 3 today out of 25 hens!

8. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    They will. It's almost spring. Right?

btw [​IMG]

9. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Are you giving them enough Calcium ? Or too much Scratch or treats ? I suppliment their calcium with Yogurt . Or some milk
    Their treat today was warm oatmeal with milk ..Disappeared with in 5 min ..The wind was so cold today

10. mderby48

mderby48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    I thought protein was the trick to egg laying. I'll try calcium tomorrow. I mix warm water with their mash to warm them up. They love it! Also thank you Cass! I've already learned a lot on here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by