NY chicken lover!!!!

Afternoon all! Came home to snow and of course was blamed for it by the cheeps. They were all hiding under their coops when I got home. Gave everyone some scratch in their coops (so they can do the work of turning over the litter) and filled waterers and feeders. My hen downstairs is looking better. Her prolapse has pretty much gone back in and the vetrimycin seems to be healing up the damage done by her sisters. She hasnt laid an egg for the last couple of days so thats good. I am hoping she recovers fully and can go back with the flock.

Oh, I came home to find that half the pound cake is gone. I am guessing that dh took it to work. Must be he really likes it and wanted to share. I hope you are enjoying yours Rancher. I also hope your dw feels better soon.

Well I was going to share somethings but then realized everything on BYC or any other forum is out there for all the world to see. Keep that in mind when sharing. If you want to see what I mean Google search your user name. The same is true for pics. Which is making me reconsidering posting pics of my property.

Hi all,

I know many of you are hatching your own chicks. I love to know if anyone is planning to hatch ducklings. I wanted to add a couple of ducks to my flock. I know tractor supply will have some but I don't want to get 6 and I didn't want to add more chickens this year. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love it.

Thanks,
Jay

Well now keep in mind TSC and others don't always have the best breeds to keep. Certain breeds can lay colored egg, and in some cases as many eggs as chickens lay per year. So try to find the breed that is right for you.

If you don't hatch perhaps you can find someone nearby to hatch for you. I know I would. I just like to hatch and I've got another hen, Buckwheat, that I think is broody.

Chicken Mentors,

How do you usually transport chickens back and forth?
I was considering finding a used (wire) dog crate. Then I saw a neat homemade device: someone took a large plastic crate, like you would use to store anything from kids toys to Christmas decorations. The center of the snap-on lid was cut out and re-lined with wire mesh. I thought this might be a cheaper option that would be both easy for me to carry myself and also easy to clean.

I'm beginning to think about transporting my new birds in the spring, and also starting to purchase some things in advance so I don't take a hit all at once.

Thanks for your suggestions!

TOB

We sell bunches of chicks, buy birds, give them away and bring birds to the fair. I have lots of "dog" crates but I really prefer cardboard boxes with long narrow holes cut in them for ventilation. Think 1" high and the entire length of the box. They can't fit out of it but lots of fresh air because boy, are they smelly. Then the box goes in the trash or burned. Also, if you want to keep their feathers nicer the cardboard dosen't allow their feathers to get stuck in the fence part as much.

My sholder hurts so much I can hardly type. Afraid I have gotten old enough to have bursitis or something evil like that in the joint. Feels better if I cross the arm across my body and pull it up toward my heart--whatever that means. No coop cleaning for me for a while. I hope I can find the clothes pins for my nose when I collect eggs, cuz when it warms up it's gonna stink stink stink down there.

Gonna rest my arm. I'll keep reading tho.

I had a epidural spinal injection in between my 5th & 6th vertebrae over Christmas break. Darn degenerative & bulging discs. It definitely helped a lot, but the doctor said it will only get worse. Great. Not. Mine really gets knotted up when I work at a desk/computer too long. I have found that the Tiger Balm patches ease some of the discomfort. Hate it when its tough doing something I like. Can't hurt really bad when I have to vacum or clean toilets!
wee.gif
6/6 EE eggs are developing (one week in)!!! Chickprincess, Buddy is doing his job!

We have eggs in the incubator too! Put them in on Sunday 2/17. I will be checking them this weekend. Good luck!

Hi all,

I know many of you are hatching your own chicks. I love to know if anyone is planning to hatch ducklings. I wanted to add a couple of ducks to my flock. I know tractor supply will have some but I don't want to get 6 and I didn't want to add more chickens this year. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love it.

Thanks,
Jay

Do you have a specific breed or size you want? I have a friend that has lots of ducks and geese. Let me know.

Last edited:
We sell bunches of chicks, buy birds, give them away and bring birds to the fair. I have lots of "dog" crates but I really prefer cardboard boxes with long narrow holes cut in them for ventilation. Think 1" high and the entire length of the box. They can't fit out of it but lots of fresh air because boy, are they smelly. Then the box goes in the trash or burned. Also, if you want to keep their feathers nicer the cardboard dosen't allow their feathers to get stuck in the fence part as much.

Hi happyhens. I was worried cardboard wouldn't be strong enough, but I guess I was wrong. Good to know! Thanks for the suggestions. Hmmm, more on the birds' propensity to really stink...! I have been sufficiently warned!
sickbyc.gif

TOB

No areas on either foot are raw..the one toe is swollen with a red lump on the tip. Both pads are blackish colored but it isnt hard..does really look like bumble foot.
Here are some other ones..sorry im taking the pics with my cell so its hard to see.

I could try and get better ones tomorrow in better lighting.
But his feet have blackish coloring on the pads and some toes...there is a red lump on the tip of the one toe which is swolle and the middle toe is swollen and his nail is turning black.

Last edited:
Quote:
we brought our chicks home from Farm n Tractor in a cardboard box that looks somewhat like a happy meal box . 2 chicks to a box .
Just a little extra room for their 2 bodies .
Our Rooster came home from the state Fair in a lg cardboard box .

If they are in darkness they will sleep & be calmer ..like all birds..& maybe poop less

I forgot we didnt use hardware cloth for our run ..we used that galvenized horse fencing ..nice & sturdy

Back
Top Bottom