NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well now keep in mind TSC and others don't always have the best breeds to keep. Certain breeds can lay colored egg, and in some cases as many eggs as chickens lay per year. So try to find the breed that is right for you.

If you don't hatch perhaps you can find someone nearby to hatch for you. I know I would. I just like to hatch and I've got another hen, Buckwheat, that I think is broody.

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

We sell bunches of chicks, buy birds, give them away and bring birds to the fair. I have lots of "dog" crates but I really prefer cardboard boxes with long narrow holes cut in them for ventilation. Think 1" high and the entire length of the box. They can't fit out of it but lots of fresh air because boy, are they smelly. Then the box goes in the trash or burned. Also, if you want to keep their feathers nicer the cardboard dosen't allow their feathers to get stuck in the fence part as much.

I had a epidural spinal injection in between my 5th & 6th vertebrae over Christmas break. Darn degenerative & bulging discs. It definitely helped a lot, but the doctor said it will only get worse. Great. Not. Mine really gets knotted up when I work at a desk/computer too long. I have found that the Tiger Balm patches ease some of the discomfort. Hate it when its tough doing something I like. Can't hurt really bad when I have to vacum or clean toilets!
    We have eggs in the incubator too! Put them in on Sunday 2/17. I will be checking them this weekend. Good luck!

Do you have a specific breed or size you want? I have a friend that has lots of ducks and geese. Let me know.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  3. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Hi happyhens. I was worried cardboard wouldn't be strong enough, but I guess I was wrong. Good to know! Thanks for the suggestions. Hmmm, more on the birds' propensity to really stink...! I have been sufficiently warned! [​IMG]

TOB

4. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    Can someone tell me if this is frostbite? I believe it is..but want to be 100% sure[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

On the pad of the foot is there a hard, black lump? If so could be bumble foot. But the toe looks raw too. Hard to see on my phone. Certainly could be frostbite. Are there any metal items she could be roosting on?

6. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    No areas on either foot are raw..the one toe is swollen with a red lump on the tip. Both pads are blackish colored but it isnt hard..does really look like bumble foot.
    Here are some other ones..sorry im taking the pics with my cell so its hard to see.[​IMG]
    I could try and get better ones tomorrow in better lighting.
    But his feet have blackish coloring on the pads and some toes...there is a red lump on the tip of the one toe which is swolle and the middle toe is swollen and his nail is turning black.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  7. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    [​IMG]

8. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

9. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

10. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I agree with Rancher. Try some wooden eggs first. She isn't going to be rewarded by breaking the shell and get something good to eat. I got my wooden eggs at Michael's. Good luck.
    Yay! I get excited when I see my eggs developing as well!!!!

Cass, I am sorry to hear about your pain. Holding it that way probably eases the pressure on the joint. Makes the arm useless, however.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by