NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Songster

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm off and running for part of the day, but will try to remember to check this out. Thanks for the heads up Lapeerian.

TOB

2. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Songster

Jan 3, 2013
    Keep in mind that immature / juvenile Bald Eagles don't sport the white head and full adult plumage for about 5 years -- until then, they may appear mostly brown and/or have random and mottled white feathers throughout their bodies. Golden eagles are more streamlined in stature than the Bald Eagle. Both their head and bills are smaller as well. Of course, from a distance or on the wing, these are difficult field markings to distinguish the two.

Eagles are on the up & up. I've had 3 sightings here in Otisco during the past several weeks, 2 of which were directly over my backyard. We have a breeding pair and several young from past fledgings at our cottage in Ontario, as well.

Gramma, right now there are several hanging out on Onondaga Lake near the mall, where the heated water spills into it and keeps it ice free. They'll stick around here wherever they can find open water to hunt fish and waterfowl. Here's a great link that shows some fantastic images, including some immature birds next to adults. http://photos.syracuse.com/syracusecom_photo_essays/2011/01/bald_eagles_on_onondaga_lake.html

TOB

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    No time to catch up but I posted a question on eggs. "Blood in eggs".

Please have a look and answer my questions if you can.

Thanks

Rancher

4. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Afternoon all. Came home and gave the cheeps the chicken carcass and rice that was leftover. Big girls were thrilled. (They get first dibs as they are the oldest and have earned the right.) Terrorists took less than 5 minutes to strip the carcass clean. You would think that they hadnt eaten in days. My hen with the prolapse laid a small egg today. She looks okay, nothing protruding. The top outside part of her vent still looks black so I am not sure what is going on there. I will bath her tomorrow and see what things look like then. I am hoping to reintroduce her to the coop this weekend.

Rancher--I will pass on your advice to my dh!!!

Made a new drink at work today. (Its my second job, so I get hours) We call it apple pie a la mode frappe. Tastes just like an apple pie with vanilla icecream, whip cream and caramel sauce on top. It was sooooooo good! My boss and I were creating. That was one of four we came up with. I like creating!!!

5. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Songster

Jan 3, 2013
    Hi Pharmchick,

Glad to hear your prolapsed hen is doing pretty well. Would giving her more scratch grains now help to slow down her laying even more so that she could heal further. Just a newbie question, but I was thinking about this. I hope the black part of her vent is not dead tissue that will infect. It's great that you're giving her this chance to recover.

The apple pie concoction sure sounds GOOD. [​IMG]

TOB

6. mderby48

mderby48 Chirping

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY

I got the article thanks! My bator is warming up right now! I hope everything goes well this time. My ladies laid 7 eggs today!!! I guess spring is around the corner!

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Pharm - glad your girl is doing ok. Remember to go light on the food. I'd skip or give her very little layer feed. Give lots of time to avoid laying any eggs for a while so the muscles can heal.

I wish you well,

Rancher

8. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Songster

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Excellent! If she goes broody again, 10 will be the number

9. mderby48

mderby48 Chirping

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    I just found on Craigslist BO and BR chicks in Canastota!! 1.85 a chick straight run. Someone needs to disable my truck so I'm not tempted to go pick some up! I want them but I don't need anymore chicks lol.

10. JayinCohoes

JayinCohoes In the Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    Sharon Springs, NY
    I'd love the recipe for that drink. It sounds so good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by