NY chicken lover!!!!

TOB or anyone else: on Craigslist this morning there is a listing in South New Berlin with a bunch of random chicken equipment. Search for: chicken equiptment (with the mis-spelling of equipment). There is wire cages, brooder boxes, chick and chicken feeders/waterers, red lights, brooder lamps, incubator, and more!

I'm off and running for part of the day, but will try to remember to check this out. Thanks for the heads up Lapeerian.

TOB

We had 2 eagles fly over our house 2 weeks ago . These were not bald eagles .
They may be Golden Eagles . When the weather gets better I am going to walk down The road & see if I can see their nest . Neighbors have said they are there .
One landed on the trees next to my house. Lucky the Roo was on the job ..
Had them all in a huddle ..the Eagle moved on ..by the time I came around the house ...And then I saw the flock was what the eagle was looking at .
No opportunity for a chicken meal that day..it was definitely considering it ..So I pretty sure if there is a opportunity the eagle will take one of my chickens .

Keep in mind that immature / juvenile Bald Eagles don't sport the white head and full adult plumage for about 5 years -- until then, they may appear mostly brown and/or have random and mottled white feathers throughout their bodies. Golden eagles are more streamlined in stature than the Bald Eagle. Both their head and bills are smaller as well. Of course, from a distance or on the wing, these are difficult field markings to distinguish the two.

Eagles are on the up & up. I've had 3 sightings here in Otisco during the past several weeks, 2 of which were directly over my backyard. We have a breeding pair and several young from past fledgings at our cottage in Ontario, as well.

Gramma, right now there are several hanging out on Onondaga Lake near the mall, where the heated water spills into it and keeps it ice free. They'll stick around here wherever they can find open water to hunt fish and waterfowl. Here's a great link that shows some fantastic images, including some immature birds next to adults. http://photos.syracuse.com/syracusecom_photo_essays/2011/01/bald_eagles_on_onondaga_lake.html

TOB

Afternoon all. Came home and gave the cheeps the chicken carcass and rice that was leftover. Big girls were thrilled. (They get first dibs as they are the oldest and have earned the right.) Terrorists took less than 5 minutes to strip the carcass clean. You would think that they hadnt eaten in days. My hen with the prolapse laid a small egg today. She looks okay, nothing protruding. The top outside part of her vent still looks black so I am not sure what is going on there. I will bath her tomorrow and see what things look like then. I am hoping to reintroduce her to the coop this weekend.

Rancher--I will pass on your advice to my dh!!!

Made a new drink at work today. (Its my second job, so I get hours) We call it apple pie a la mode frappe. Tastes just like an apple pie with vanilla icecream, whip cream and caramel sauce on top. It was sooooooo good! My boss and I were creating. That was one of four we came up with. I like creating!!!

Afternoon all. Came home and gave the cheeps the chicken carcass and rice that was leftover. Big girls were thrilled. (They get first dibs as they are the oldest and have earned the right.) Terrorists took less than 5 minutes to strip the carcass clean. You would think that they hadnt eaten in days. My hen with the prolapse laid a small egg today. She looks okay, nothing protruding. The top outside part of her vent still looks black so I am not sure what is going on there. I will bath her tomorrow and see what things look like then. I am hoping to reintroduce her to the coop this weekend.

Rancher--I will pass on your advice to my dh!!!

Made a new drink at work today. (Its my second job, so I get hours) We call it apple pie a la mode frappe. Tastes just like an apple pie with vanilla icecream, whip cream and caramel sauce on top. It was sooooooo good! My boss and I were creating. That was one of four we came up with. I like creating!!!

Hi Pharmchick,

Glad to hear your prolapsed hen is doing pretty well. Would giving her more scratch grains now help to slow down her laying even more so that she could heal further. Just a newbie question, but I was thinking about this. I hope the black part of her vent is not dead tissue that will infect. It's great that you're giving her this chance to recover.

The apple pie concoction sure sounds GOOD.
droolin.gif

TOB

I must have forgot to send it.  No it's not to cold, they seem to do fine. Which is confusing considering how much trouble we go to hatch using an incubator. 

I'll send that article right away.

I got the article thanks! My bator is warming up right now! I hope everything goes well this time. My ladies laid 7 eggs today!!! I guess spring is around the corner!

Pharm - glad your girl is doing ok. Remember to go light on the food. I'd skip or give her very little layer feed. Give lots of time to avoid laying any eggs for a while so the muscles can heal.

I wish you well,

Rancher

I just found on Craigslist BO and BR chicks in Canastota!! 1.85 a chick straight run. Someone needs to disable my truck so I'm not tempted to go pick some up! I want them but I don't need anymore chicks lol.

Back
Top Bottom