NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    one was on CBS 6 news quite a bit last fall as some moron shot it. It recovered fine. I think they released more than they admit to. Like the Mountain lions DEC claims we don't have even though I have several friends with pictures of them. And I had one in my front yard last summer one evening. Thankfully it must have just been passing through....

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I would probably mix up the eggs just for the off chance that one breed isn't as fertile and chicks hatch in each classroom. Spares. Hmmm. We will have to wait and see. I have a lot that I have to hatch for different public service events that everyone wants to see chicks and not productive hens. Ugh. Anyway, drop me a line if you have spares and I will post here when I do too.

3. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  4. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Thanks, just curious!

I will have to keep a lookout for them when I go to Chatham.

I Plan on hatching about 100 this year. It is just a little early because if for some reason, they needed to get separated from the flock, the other pen is frozen, and I really don't want to keep them in the house. Also, when it comes to processing, I want more than just a few to take and be processed....so the conclusion is, if she becomes broody again in a month,(even if she waited 2 weeks) I will let her have a brood( or her own clutch) And I do feel mean as she is by herself in the basement in a cage.....poor thing...she is a very friendly bird.

5. Kit-Kat

Kit-Kat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Troy, NY
    That sounds like a great arrangement (all of it!). I'd really like to try to stick to birds I can pick up rather than ones that have to be shipped, but I'm getting antsy for spring and new chicks! [​IMG]

6. Lapeerian

Lapeerian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    TOB or anyone else: on Craigslist this morning there is a listing in South New Berlin with a bunch of random chicken equipment. Search for: chicken equiptment (with the mis-spelling of equipment). There is wire cages, brooder boxes, chick and chicken feeders/waterers, red lights, brooder lamps, incubator, and more!

7. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I will be getting 5 chicks this weekend from a friends, daughters science fair experiment. Those are up for free! If interested PM me. I will also have more after Easter. They will be from my own breeds and for sale. Again, if interested contact me.

Have a lovely day!

8. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    Last years get together was fun, and I'd love to have it here, but my place is not well suited, as is. I have plenty of parking area, but no covered or shaded area, flat land, chairs or tables. All my land is slanted, we are on the side of one of Route 20's hills. If those obstacles could be surmounted, I could rent a porta John.

We could rent a pavilion in a State Park. Just an idea.

9. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    We have talked about renting a place in a park, but wondered about bringing chickens onto public land. (Many people bring birds to sell, exchange, give away, add to the auction and deliver to people they presold to, as you know) IF the park didn't have a problem with that and if participants didn't have a problem with bringing their birds into such a situation it is a wonderful idea, since very few people have the facilities to host such a large gathering.

10. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by