NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    My broody neither....thought long and hard about it though, almost put some buckeye eggs under her.

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY

You two meanies. I just give them three eggs. I mark them by running a ring of black marker around them so I can tell the newly laid eggs if someone else gets in there and lays an egg.

Vmdaniel - seems to me you'd have an easy time selling Buckeye chicks.

3. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    Beautiful!

4. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    I don't have a problem with people eating my roos... just not me. [​IMG] I will sell them or give them away to people I know will kill them humanely and eat them or give them a good home.
    Dh and my FIL were trolling on Hemlock and threw an undersized fish back in. Before it even had a chance to swim away, an eagle flew down and scooped it up. The guys just sat there with their jaws on the floor. They said it was the most majestic thing they'd ever seen.
    I won't even get into my thoughts on poultry farms (funny, those things you don't give a second thought to unless you raise chickens). As for the roos for me, there's a big difference in getting to live out some quality life and then being humanely killed and getting ground up live to become dog food. If I sell them or give them away, I don't expect them to see tomorrow.

5. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    Julia, my lovely white broody, officially pecked me today for attempting to snatch an egg out from under her. I was glad to see a little attitude[​IMG] Although, "Miss America" keeps sneaking into the nest and laying.

6. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    I am gonna have chicks early May. Annie (HappyHensNY) always has way way way more chicks than she can keep. We are both close to you geographically. Featherz comes down to the Train station in Rensselaer and might have too many chicks/hens in the near future. (I have a couple of her birds when she downsized last year, they are wonderful girls) Hmmm...who else is close to Troy? Sometimes we get a "train" going and someone will go out and pick up birds from one of the folks in the Western part of the state and bring them back for all of us to share. (Throw some money in the pot for gas)

And we try to get a bunch of us together once a year to just talk and talk and usually chickens change hands at that gathering. Right now, no one has stepped up to host this year's gathering...but it's early in the year yet. (I soooo wish I could host, but I have absolutely no parking here cuz some genius put the septic and leach feild at the end of the driveway. grrr)

7. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I have seen a Bald Eagle on route 295 by the old Columbia Box, now Sundog Solar... I think ,And on the Ghent Omi road, right near Letter S road, by the artsy fartsy place. We have them Ginny.

8. County Boy

County Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2012
    Petersburg Ny
    They are in North Petersburg headed to Hoosick Falls. I know I should be able to describe it more but the resaurant thy are located near has a new name everytime we go by.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  9. Cass

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Annie,

You missed my posts regarding what I did in a moment of insanity.....I offered eggs to the local grade school. They need 48 and I get the chicks back. OMG, what was I thinking. LOL

A few of them are spoken for by people who only want 2 - 4 chicks and I have one buyer for 6-8 of them. (I will give them away to BYC people, the rest of the world pays. LOL) So I am thinking I'll have enough to give you a refund on the chicks you "loaned" me last year. [​IMG]

I hope to keep any Ameruacana chicks (thank heavens they have those puffy cheeks so I can tell them from the rest of the black chicks)

I haven't quite decided if I am going to separate the eggs by who laid them and only give each teacher a certain hen's eggs (or breed's eggs)....thereby kinda knowing what chick is which by which teacher gives it back to me OR if I am just gonna mix them all up, so the kids have the fun of having a rainbow in their classroom 'bator. I'm leaning toward the rainbow, cuz I think the kids will get a kick out of it....and sort them all out later....like at 4 weeks when they have feathers so I can tell. LOL

10. Cass

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    A breeding pair of Bald Eagles was raised and set free in / at the Indian ladder Escarpment many years ago. Perhaps more were raised and released and have become sucessful in breeding sucussive generations of the majestic birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by