NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    If the gun is never kept loaded in the house it safe to have around children. We keep our gun by the door and the shells WAAAY up high in the back of the coat closet. No way anyone can put the two together and get themselves in trouble without a lot of time to think about what they are doing. And there are only adults in this house. And if we load it to scope out a nighttime noise, we UNLOAD it before we enter the house. (again, only adults living here, but gun safety is a MUST around me) You might want to keep the gun out of sight, but handy and the shells behind the soap powder in the laundry room....but if you have things you want to protect you do need to have your "protection" close at hand. Just separately, close at hand.

2. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    OH oh...I will....I LOOOOOVE chicken math.

It goes kinda like this TOB. Roosters don't count, cuz they don't lay an egg. Chicks don't count cuz they aren't very big and don't eat that much. And don't lay an egg. Broodies don't count, cuz they aren't eating much, aren't laying eggs and are just sitting there like zombies, so they don't take much care. Bantam sized birds are counted as 1/2 each, because they are little and lay only little eggs.

So if you count up my flock I have 27 birds
    - 3 roosters
    - 3 to adjust for bantam
    - 1 for the broody silkie
    - 2 for the ones that haven't started laying yet
    which means I only have 18...my coop is built for 25 so I can have more birds this spring. LOL

And you think I am kidding? You just wait.....4 will become 6 will become 8 will then hatch out 4 more next spring with only ONE being a rooster, cuz you plan to eat the roosters and therefore most of the hatch will be pullets....Just so you know, never trust any of us to be able to count right when we give you free chicks....I paid for 4 and got home, opened the box and there were 10 chicks in the box.....people with extra chicks can be pretty slick. LOL

1 person likes this.
  3. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    OK, you guys are scaring me! LOL! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

TOB

4. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    "Chicken math terms" ... oh, pray tell.

EDIT: Just starting reading the explanation from Cass and my head is spinning! Hoooo boy!!! [​IMG]

I do get the Biblical quote. Never considered a Brabanter 'til I saw Marquisella's endearing photograph. Then just had to have one or two!

Honestly and all kidding aside, I can definitely see how chickens can quickly become an addiction of sorts!

TOB

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  5. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    Sorry for all my consecutive posts as I play catch up.....but this one is a classic! Too funny, Cass...and also kinda scary that this sorta makes sense! [​IMG]

TOB

6. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Stony , Do you have a duck in the house ?

7. Gramma Chick

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

8. Gramma Chick

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Stony , Do you have a duck in the house ?

Chicken Math - I kind of think of it this way ..your always wanting to multiply..

Tob - Opossums - Ive alway thought of them as late night rats ..lumbering around ..they walk so funny

9. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Morning all! Nice that all we got was some rain and nothing else. Hopefully more of this snow and ice will melt so I wont kill myself getting out to the coops. I put my sexlink back in the coop last night and she is very happy to be back with the flock. Nobody really bothered her. The self appointed lead hen followed her around a bit but nothing else otherwise. Hopefully all stays well with her.

If I am following chicken math correctly, then I dont have 41 chickens. I only have 35. The two big boys dont count and since my silkies only count as halfsies I only have 35. Cool...this means more chickens! And if I send some to freezer camp this spring and hatch out more, I can have even more chickens!!! Oh my...I am in big trouble!!! lol

Aria--I dont give the whole carcass to my silkies as they could never eat it all. I only have 4 in each breeding pen. However, you have a large flock of them so they might. Its my terrorists and divas (rir and hens) that can demolish a carcass in less than 5 minutes. Not sure how long it would take them to demolish a body!

Rancher---good luck finding shoes. I have a horrible time finding shoes to fit me and am very hard on them.

Cass---hmm, miscounting chicks as you put them in the box. One way of downsizing!!!

Have a good day all!

10. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    nope. They have a really fancy coop [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

seriously though, he had a wound that needed cleaning and Nustock applied to. He was in the house 10 minutes tops. We paused to take a few pics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by