NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    To save work I moved Fawn, the red sex link that I had caught enjoying egg for breakfast a while ago in the garage with Reveille who waits for his forever home in Skaneateles. She has been laying eggs in there and not eating them. But I found a half eaten egg in a nest box in the coop while Fawn was in solitary. My new premis is that sometimes eggs break, and then are eaten, but Fawn is not proven to be the worst/only offender...

When Rev leaves she can go back to the coop.

Some of the eggs I bring in have tiny hairline cracks. Perhaps I should get more and thicker carpet for the nest boxes.

Oh, I did make The Pound Cake. It is definitely a keeper. I was happy to share it with many people, and until it was gone it called my name several times a day, for just a sliver. Cake portions are very similar to chicken math, it could a sub section. I am grateful for that recipe.
  2. horsekeeper

horsekeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Middleburgh, NY
    The Angel Food Cake I made last weekend was the best ever. Pretty easy, too. The recipe is from Cooks.com if anyone wants to try it. Here is the link: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,236,159176-232200,00.html
    The best thing was the egg whites are by measure so you can use up a bunch of odd sized eggs. Yummy to just eat a slice plain, but remarkable with strawberries and whipped cream. Haven't tried the chocolate sauce yet, but bet it will be pretty good.

Couldn't find a pasta maker locally, so I guess I will have to order one online. Assembly lined a dozen egg mcmuffins last night and popped them in the freezer. The neighbors (grandsons) really like them. The microwave egg cookers make it so easy. Good for a quick fuel up when things get too busy to cook.
  3. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Jeepers, sounds like a school of pirahnas! [​IMG]
  4. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    With some chopped walnuts and cranberries in it!! Wonderful. If you put a little orange zest with the cran juice during reduction.....exceptional!!let us know how it turns out!!!!
  5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I like the Brabanters too. See the thing is chickens are small and they lay eggs. Feed is cheaper than cat or dog food. Dogs and cats eat and poop, eat and poop. Not to mention cats need litter and you have to get closer to their poop to clean the box than you do to chicken poop.

Cat and dog poop can't go in the garden but to the landfill or whatever.

lets put these three side by side.

Chickens Dog/cat
    Poop for garden Poop for nothing
    Feed cheaper Feed more expensive
    eggs to eat Nothing to eat
    affection Cats? whatever attitiude/Dog feed me
    easier to clean Cats hold your nose/Dog OMG! what did you eat?
    Chickens eat anything Cats, maybe,maybe not/ Dogs eat other dogs poop,cat poop yuk!

So chickens you get affection and eggs to share Cat's and Dogs maybe affection no eggs to share with family and friends.
    Plus vegetables from the garden.

I'll take chickens
  6. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Guns scare me. Doomsday preppers scare me.

I saw one show where the guy had a shelter for him and his family but it was far away. I watched as he drove behind a snow plow to get to it and I thought. "If there disaster there won't be a snow plow" and "what happens if you can't get to your shelter?"
    Now I know the science stuff and if there is an earthquake, fire or landslide your not going to get there. If there are bombs they could cause all of those. Even squirrels don't store all their nuts in one place.
  7. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Now I have to tell you all this one.

I sold a woman some chicks 7 but I missed one and she got 6. $1 ea. So I happen to be in TSC and she was there and instead of just telling me or she could have called after she got home she got mad. She says out loud as she's passing me. "OH AND THERE WERE ONLY 6 CHICKS IN THAT BOX!"

She took off so fast I had no chance to apologize, give her back her dollar or tell her to come and get another chick.

So I got and e mail recently in response to a hatching eggs for sale I posted to CL and I think it was her because she never replied to my response.

Yes I am venting, but folks if you have a problem, with someone you need to tell them so they can repent/make amends or explain. In this case we all know chicks go crazy when you put them in a box. I just made an honest mistake.
  8. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Yup, mistakes happen. My mistake? Not checking the box to see how many were in there, cuz I was really really surprised when I got home. LOL
  9. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well yours was a happy mistake. Not one I'd care to have happen to often. Oh I did have a woman pay me $20 to much once. I mailed it back to her and she was glad I'm sure. I know I would be if it were me.

Even the dollar has not left my mind, but I don't know where she lives. I guess I was just hoping someone knows her. I think her name is Jackie.

On another note that Pound cake is really good. I'll be printing it out and giving it to egg customers. That it uses 5-10 eggs can't hurt either. [​IMG]

I have a RIR hen that is broody and I'm afraid a LO that might be too. I'll soon be over run with chicks. I wish they were chocolate covered marshmallow chicks.

An update on the Hawk. I was told it might be a Coopers that is migrating. I saw it again today on the way to church chasing a crow.

The two Perrigrine falcons on the State building here in Syracuse have not produced any eggs in the last few years. I suggested that they might be upset over something and was told there was construction going on right near their nesting site.

Take care and have a good night. DW made sauce with meatballs and pasta for dinner.

10. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    I made these, too, but found a single egg sized fry pan at Walmart. It fries an 1 egg, just the right size for an English muffin. A slice of Canadian bacon and a slice of American cheese, and YUM! I've never frozen them. They freeze well? How do you reheat it?
    I would've chased her through the store. I HATE having my reputation tarnished from something like that. I'm one of those people that loses sleep over something like that. We still love you! [​IMG] She can [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by