NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

So, didn't you notice how much Claire and I were giggling like fools? An the fertility does seem good which means I will have more chicks available... [​IMG]

You may have forgotten one point that is true for many here. Once they aren't laying anymore they become freezer filler. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mderby48

mderby48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    I can always help with chick problem :D I'm thinking I need at least 5 of each color Orpington! :)

3. horsekeeper

horsekeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Middleburgh, NY
    CP, I cut the muffins in half and laid them all out on a cookie sheet and then scrambled one large egg or two bantm eggs right in the little microwave container specially made for muffin size and cooked them one after the other. A slice of cheese and a strip of bacon or slice of ham and I close them all up. then I wrap them in wax paper and put them individually in sandwich bags to prevent freezer burn. The bag the muffins come in is just right to stack them in vertically and freeze them that way. Take one out, remove the sandwich bag and microwave for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes and it is heated through, cheese is melted, and moisture stays in. Tastes like you just made it and muffins don't get tough like bread does.

4. horsekeeper

horsekeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Middleburgh, NY
    Should have added leave the wax paper on to microwave. If you put them on a little paper plate there is nothing to clean up. Sweet!

5. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I did warn you that it was potent lemon! The idea was to keep the person who did not love lemon(ME) away from it!!!! next time try half water and half lemon with the cup sugar!! The next time I make the pound cake I am going to make a chocolate cake but use Sambuka as the syrup!!! Sorry that it was to lemony for your family....

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    It could be that the shells are to thin and you need to give them more Oyster shell. I have had this happen with my birds and that is why when I repackage the pellets I toss in a bit of oyster shell.

If you don't repackage like I do, you could just toss in a tablespoon full of oyster shell on top of their feed. It won't hurt and could help.

When they lay an egg perhaps it breaks or is stepped on and broken and then the eating commences.

A.C Moore and Michaels sell the wooden eggs. I use the Sunday paper coupon to get them half price.

7. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    This reminds me. When my kids were little we read them Cranberry Thanksgiving. At the end of the book is a recipe for Cranberry bread. There are others too. Christmas, Easter, Valentines day etc. etc.

So after reading Cranberry Valentine, my Darcy and I made the recipe at the end for Cranberry Upside down cake. We made a mess of course but the cake came out really good. It has walnuts and lots of sugar, but you just dump everything in the pan and bake it.

I did buy an antique pamphlet Cranberry recipe thing. I'm not sure where it is now. I like to buy the old recipe books.

8. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    that's the thing it does bother me. I'm not sure I'd recognize her if I saw her. She was only here for a short time and I only caught the back of her head as she left the store.

9. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well I don't have every color. I do have to practice some self control, but I just candled some more and things look much better than last time. We shall see. Lots of the orps side eggs are good. Not so good on the Dels and the two Green eggs look good. I'll be anxious to see how they come out.

I did see the lav amer roo dancing with one of the EE's.

Next batch, lots of ee's and dels and Br's.

Oh and I've got a RIR broody and an orpington. [​IMG]

10. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    You must explain this better. I've got lots of eggs, and some leftover ham. I kept the bone for Bean soup.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by