NY chicken lover!!!!

The Angel Food Cake I made last weekend was the best ever. Pretty easy, too. The recipe is from Cooks.com if anyone wants to try it. Here is the link: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,236,159176-232200,00.html
The best thing was the egg whites are by measure so you can use up a bunch of odd sized eggs. Yummy to just eat a slice plain, but remarkable with strawberries and whipped cream. Haven't tried the chocolate sauce yet, but bet it will be pretty good.

Couldn't find a pasta maker locally, so I guess I will have to order one online. Assembly lined a dozen egg mcmuffins last night and popped them in the freezer. The neighbors (grandsons) really like them. The microwave egg cookers make it so easy. Good for a quick fuel up when things get too busy to cook.
I made these, too, but found a single egg sized fry pan at Walmart. It fries an 1 egg, just the right size for an English muffin. A slice of Canadian bacon and a slice of American cheese, and YUM! I've never frozen them. They freeze well? How do you reheat it?
Now I have to tell you all this one.

I sold a woman some chicks 7 but I missed one and she got 6. $1 ea. So I happen to be in TSC and she was there and instead of just telling me or she could have called after she got home she got mad. She says out loud as she's passing me. "OH AND THERE WERE ONLY 6 CHICKS IN THAT BOX!"

She took off so fast I had no chance to apologize, give her back her dollar or tell her to come and get another chick.

So I got and e mail recently in response to a hatching eggs for sale I posted to CL and I think it was her because she never replied to my response.

Yes I am venting, but folks if you have a problem, with someone you need to tell them so they can repent/make amends or explain. In this case we all know chicks go crazy when you put them in a box. I just made an honest mistake.
I would've chased her through the store. I HATE having my reputation tarnished from something like that. I'm one of those people that loses sleep over something like that. We still love you!
love.gif
She can
tongue.gif

I am thinking of doing it myself. Kinda "paying it forward".

Last Spring I bought (as in handed over cash) 4 chicks from Annie. And we are admiring the chicks in her brooder and talking, since we hadn't seen each other in a while and I am telling her daughter about getting Sumantras from Stony...yadda yadda....and I get home and there are TEN (10) chicks in the box. Seriously. 10. I never saw her put them in. I really should pay attention when I am talking. And I really didn't NEED the 4 I bought, I just wanted some of that breed. I DID want the Austrolorp (sp)....it died of prolapse after laying it's second egg. (I was away the weekend it prolapsed and it didn't recieve prompt treatment. Dead 24 hours after I got home) I also wanted the 3 D'uccles. Cuz I wanted one of them to be a rooster to breed the D'uccles I already had. Guess what? I got 3 pullets. Now really, what are the chances of 3 out of 3 being female? Well, since I wanted a rooster they were 100%. (If I had wanted hens all 3 would have been roos, you just KNOW IT)

Soo Gramma Chick? Don't open the box til you get home and see what surprises you have. (Insert evil laughter here)

Wonderful fertility. Happy boys at your house, I see.

My birds are eating the half of the grass that isn't dead. But it will be when they get done with it. What a muddy mess it's gonna be down by the coop, come spring, and the grass doesn't recover from all their winter pecking and plucking.

So, didn't you notice how much Claire and I were giggling like fools? An the fertility does seem good which means I will have more chicks available...
big_smile.png

I like the Brabanters too. See the thing is chickens are small and they lay eggs. Feed is cheaper than cat or dog food. Dogs and cats eat and poop, eat and poop. Not to mention cats need litter and you have to get closer to their poop to clean the box than you do to chicken poop.

Cat and dog poop can't go in the garden but to the landfill or whatever.

lets put these three side by side.

Chickens Dog/cat
Poop for garden Poop for nothing
Feed cheaper Feed more expensive
eggs to eat Nothing to eat
affection Cats? whatever attitiude/Dog feed me
easier to clean Cats hold your nose/Dog OMG! what did you eat?
Chickens eat anything Cats, maybe,maybe not/ Dogs eat other dogs poop,cat poop yuk!

So chickens you get affection and eggs to share Cat's and Dogs maybe affection no eggs to share with family and friends.
Plus vegetables from the garden.

I'll take chickens

You may have forgotten one point that is true for many here. Once they aren't laying anymore they become freezer filler.
tongue.png

Yup, mistakes happen. My mistake? Not checking the box to see how many were in there, cuz I was really really surprised when I got home. LOL

tongue2.gif

Well yours was a happy mistake. Not one I'd care to have happen to often. Oh I did have a woman pay me $20 to much once. I mailed it back to her and she was glad I'm sure. I know I would be if it were me. Even the dollar has not left my mind, but I don't know where she lives. I guess I was just hoping someone knows her. I think her name is Jackie. On another note that Pound cake is really good. I'll be printing it out and giving it to egg customers. That it uses 5-10 eggs can't hurt either.
lol.png
I have a RIR hen that is broody and I'm afraid a LO that might be too. I'll soon be over run with chicks. I wish they were chocolate covered marshmallow chicks. An update on the Hawk. I was told it might be a Coopers that is migrating. I saw it again today on the way to church chasing a crow. The two Perrigrine falcons on the State building here in Syracuse have not produced any eggs in the last few years. I suggested that they might be upset over something and was told there was construction going on right near their nesting site. Take care and have a good night. DW made sauce with meatballs and pasta for dinner. Rancher
I can always help with chick problem :D I'm thinking I need at least 5 of each color Orpington! :)

CP, I cut the muffins in half and laid them all out on a cookie sheet and then scrambled one large egg or two bantm eggs right in the little microwave container specially made for muffin size and cooked them one after the other. A slice of cheese and a strip of bacon or slice of ham and I close them all up. then I wrap them in wax paper and put them individually in sandwich bags to prevent freezer burn. The bag the muffins come in is just right to stack them in vertically and freeze them that way. Take one out, remove the sandwich bag and microwave for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes and it is heated through, cheese is melted, and moisture stays in. Tastes like you just made it and muffins don't get tough like bread does.

I made it the other day. The cake itself was delicious, however, the lemon syrup was much too overpowering for us. Dh requested cinnamon syrup next time. :)
My cake also needed an extra 20 or 30 minutes bake time. I did an extra 30, but probably 20 would've been perfect.
Wonderful fertility here, too! I have 34 girls laying and 2 roos. EVERY egg I have cracked open has been a bullseye. Busy boys, busy boys.

I did warn you that it was potent lemon! The idea was to keep the person who did not love lemon(ME) away from it!!!! next time try half water and half lemon with the cup sugar!! The next time I make the pound cake I am going to make a chocolate cake but use Sambuka as the syrup!!! Sorry that it was to lemony for your family....

To save work I moved Fawn, the red sex link that I had caught enjoying egg for breakfast a while ago in the garage with Reveille who waits for his forever home in Skaneateles. She has been laying eggs in there and not eating them. But I found a half eaten egg in a nest box in the coop while Fawn was in solitary. My new premis is that sometimes eggs break, and then are eaten, but Fawn is not proven to be the worst/only offender...

When Rev leaves she can go back to the coop.

Some of the eggs I bring in have tiny hairline cracks. Perhaps I should get more and thicker carpet for the nest boxes.

Oh, I did make The Pound Cake. It is definitely a keeper. I was happy to share it with many people, and until it was gone it called my name several times a day, for just a sliver. Cake portions are very similar to chicken math, it could a sub section. I am grateful for that recipe.

It could be that the shells are to thin and you need to give them more Oyster shell. I have had this happen with my birds and that is why when I repackage the pellets I toss in a bit of oyster shell.

If you don't repackage like I do, you could just toss in a tablespoon full of oyster shell on top of their feed. It won't hurt and could help.

When they lay an egg perhaps it breaks or is stepped on and broken and then the eating commences.

A.C Moore and Michaels sell the wooden eggs. I use the Sunday paper coupon to get them half price.

With some chopped walnuts and cranberries in it!! Wonderful. If you put a little orange zest with the cran juice during reduction.....exceptional!!let us know how it turns out!!!!

This reminds me. When my kids were little we read them Cranberry Thanksgiving. At the end of the book is a recipe for Cranberry bread. There are others too. Christmas, Easter, Valentines day etc. etc.

So after reading Cranberry Valentine, my Darcy and I made the recipe at the end for Cranberry Upside down cake. We made a mess of course but the cake came out really good. It has walnuts and lots of sugar, but you just dump everything in the pan and bake it.

I did buy an antique pamphlet Cranberry recipe thing. I'm not sure where it is now. I like to buy the old recipe books.

I made these, too, but found a single egg sized fry pan at Walmart. It fries an 1 egg, just the right size for an English muffin. A slice of Canadian bacon and a slice of American cheese, and YUM! I've never frozen them. They freeze well? How do you reheat it?
I would've chased her through the store. I HATE having my reputation tarnished from something like that. I'm one of those people that loses sleep over something like that. We still love you!
love.gif
She can
tongue.gif

that's the thing it does bother me. I'm not sure I'd recognize her if I saw her. She was only here for a short time and I only caught the back of her head as she left the store.

I can always help with chick problem
big_smile.png
I'm thinking I need at least 5 of each color Orpington!
smile.png

Well I don't have every color. I do have to practice some self control, but I just candled some more and things look much better than last time. We shall see. Lots of the orps side eggs are good. Not so good on the Dels and the two Green eggs look good. I'll be anxious to see how they come out.

I did see the lav amer roo dancing with one of the EE's.

Next batch, lots of ee's and dels and Br's.

Oh and I've got a RIR broody and an orpington.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom