NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    various sized coon tracks around several of my coops. Time to bring the 5 traps into the shop and make sure they are thawed out and functioning properly. Time to kill some raccoon's

2. mderby48

mderby48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY

At least coon are fairly easy to trap. The stinkier the bait the more they love it! Sardines work great. You can make money off the hides if you feel like dealing with it.

3. mderby48

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY

At least coon are fairly easy to trap. The stinkier the bait the more they love it! Sardines work great. You can make money off the hides if you feel like dealing with it.

4. mderby48

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    Marshmallows too. Anything sweet ( my husband traps them to use for training his hounds)

5. stonykill

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I find canned dog fod, cheap canned dog food works great. I have turkey innards from the other night. They are tonights bait.

After killing 16 raccoon's last year you would think they would have learned NOT to come around here.

I have a friend trapping on my land. I'll give him any coon's I kill.

6. stonykill

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    it really depends. Young coons like to eat cracked corn and that is what works best for them. so I have found

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I saw tracks near the inside coop that didn't look like rabbit to me. I hope nothing is getting in there to bother her. Not big enough for a coon but perhaps a cat or skunk or worse. I hate to set a trap in case I catch the rabbit or attract something worse.

I'll be making sure I "mark" around the area closer to the coop.

Haven't got a gun yet but then I never see anything at night except for the rabbit when I do. I need to make some trips out later in the evening.

8. stonykill

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I "mark" daily. Doesn't make any difference at all around here.

I've caught skunks. That is always fun [​IMG]

9. mderby48

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    Only thing I have around here is a fox :/ we can only use live traps tho because my dogs run loose. We don't have a live trap big enough yet but my chickens are locked up tight at night anyways nothing is getting to them. We have multiple guns here so someday the fox will meet his match ;)

10. stonykill

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    all of my fox attacks have been between 8 am and noon so far. I only use live traps near the house. But with 30 acres my trapping buddy has plenty of land to trap on with his leg holding traps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by