NY chicken lover!!!!

Depending on the age of the little one, and how rebellious in nature she is, it might be well worth your time to have dad or whomever is most familiar with the gun teach her about it, with a very heavy emphasis on safety and respect. I grew up in a household with firearms, and even though they were kept in a locked safe, even if they were not, safety was SO drilled into my young mind by my father that I couldn't even fathom messing around with a gun! I am thankful that my dad showed me guns, drilled the rules of safety into my mind, and made sure that I understood how very serious a gun is and that I must always respect it. In my mind growing up, being safe and treating guns seriously was as important and as impressed in my mind as other important things, such as never going with strangers.

I recall being 12 and hunting with my cousin (both of us supervised by my father), and chiding him sternly when I felt he was not being as safe as he could be.

Of course you want to take other measures to make sure that things are kept safe. A gun safe and/or keeping the ammo in a lockbox that is out of reach are good steps!
I agree with you, Nam. My children were brought up that way as was my husband was because his father was a cop. Instead hiding it, they were raised to know how to handle a gun and respect it. Both my daughter and son handle guns with ease and respect. Me, I keep a .22 handy for those stupid squirrels. I should learn how to skin one so they don't go to waste.

various sized coon tracks around several of my coops. Time to bring the 5 traps into the shop and make sure they are thawed out and functioning properly. Time to kill some raccoon's

various sized coon tracks around several of my coops. Time to bring the 5 traps into the shop and make sure they are thawed out and functioning properly. Time to kill some raccoon's

At least coon are fairly easy to trap. The stinkier the bait the more they love it! Sardines work great. You can make money off the hides if you feel like dealing with it.

At least coon are fairly easy to trap. The stinkier the bait the more they love it! Sardines work great. You can make money off the hides if you feel like dealing with it.

I find canned dog fod, cheap canned dog food works great. I have turkey innards from the other night. They are tonights bait.

After killing 16 raccoon's last year you would think they would have learned NOT to come around here.

I have a friend trapping on my land. I'll give him any coon's I kill.

I saw tracks near the inside coop that didn't look like rabbit to me. I hope nothing is getting in there to bother her. Not big enough for a coon but perhaps a cat or skunk or worse. I hate to set a trap in case I catch the rabbit or attract something worse.

I'll be making sure I "mark" around the area closer to the coop.

Haven't got a gun yet but then I never see anything at night except for the rabbit when I do. I need to make some trips out later in the evening.

I saw tracks near the inside coop that didn't look like rabbit to me. I hope nothing is getting in there to bother her. Not big enough for a coon but perhaps a cat or skunk or worse. I hate to set a trap in case I catch the rabbit or attract something worse.

I'll be making sure I "mark" around the area closer to the coop.

Haven't got a gun yet but then I never see anything at night except for the rabbit when I do. I need to make some trips out later in the evening.
I "mark" daily. Doesn't make any difference at all around here.

I've caught skunks. That is always fun
hmm.png

Only thing I have around here is a fox :/ we can only use live traps tho because my dogs run loose. We don't have a live trap big enough yet but my chickens are locked up tight at night anyways nothing is getting to them. We have multiple guns here so someday the fox will meet his match ;)

Back
Top Bottom