NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    Yeah, it's very muddy here too. The snow melts around the coop, but lately the ground has not been absorbing anything, so there are standing puddles. There used to be grass, but whenever it was exposed, hungry beaks ate it down to nothing, and it is still in that situation. Hope it hasn't given up for good. I did take some straw down to get them up above the mud. Their dirty feet make the eggs dirty, and I worry they will get something, like fungal infection or frost bite or trench foot. So for now the straw looks kinda nice..

2. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Nice pictures...I spent the day indorrs working...no windows. Didn't even get to ride my own guy. Thanks for sharing!!

3. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    And stinky mud on top of it...just plain YUCK!!!!

check with Tab...I hatched AM/LH X from her. They are excellent layers of light blue eggs. Flighty though... I also did a few americanas eggs as well.

My buckeye eggs come in next Tuesaday so my incubator gets fired up as well....I need to dye some vents so I can collect some of my own as well!!! spring is coming!!!!

4. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    I've heard of someone looking for 2 black hens, but how far from Canandaigua are you?

So, let me get this straight... she's got you wrapped right around her little finger, huh? [​IMG]

OK, chicken friends, I need a kick in the tush...
    I have always had this funny thing about "if I see it alive, I can't eat it", even including fish I catch. Can not eat venison, would have a hard time picking out a cow to be slaughtered... you get the picture. I read an article on AOL about the additives the U.S. allows in our foods when other countries have banned them long ago and it's really got me thinking.
    I am the only one in the family with any issue with it. My kids and dh would RATHER eat our own. I think I'm ready to start a separate flock just for that purpose but need that extra push from you guys. We even have Mennonites near us who will process them complete for $2.50 a bird.
    So why do I still have the heebie-jeebies?

5. mderby48

mderby48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    Sorry I can't help you, I have the same problem! I don't understand it either. I just recently started eating fish my husband has caught :/

6. Glasshen

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    Princess,
    I'm sort of in that boat with you. But I kind of thought that if there were a few who all went for a ride together and were picked up and without their feathers I wouldn't recognize them,...it might work for me?

7. Glasshen

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    Sorry for double post.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I hate the mud!! especially when mixed with chicken poop. Ugh. And now we are going to get snow. At least it will cover the mud. :p Yesterday I slogged out to the coops to get eggs and the runs were pretty nasty. No time to fix it with work every day so will have to wait for the weekend. Already mixed more shavings into the coop, but would really like all the snow to melt to give them some dead grass to wander around on while I clean. :)

9. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Quote: It's the idea of eating an animal you raised. It's not something most people do nowadays, and there's a huge "they're my pets" element to it, so it's definitely odd to contemplate at first. It helps to look at it like this - you know how they were raised, you know they were treated well, and they'll only have one bad day. That, and they taste great.

10. Lapeerian

Lapeerian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Our TSC also has the corral panel setup around the water tanks for chicks last year. But we hold little girl up on the panel to look in. If it was quiet in the store when we stopped in, one of the workers would ask if we want to pet one (duh, of course!) Harder part was getting a 1.5 year old child to not choke-hold the chick. And to leave. So the gates really are useful in keeping chicks safe from kids. And any health hazards from people not washing hands after handling poultry.
    Good luck in the potential job!
    Central Ave Deli/Central in Cortland has wonderful White Chili. So spicy and good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by