NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    TOB - I have some Raspberries planted but plan to do more. Grapes is a good idea. My main purpose is to make them difficult to see from the air. With the snow black birds are easy to see. In the non winter it's the white birds. It's to bad birds don't come in "green".

BR's are not so easy to spot.

Sunnyside - I've never heard of Jostaberries. Are they a cane or shrub? How do they propagate? Of course I'll research them. Some berries are not commercially done due to cost effectiveness, so you've got to look far and wide.

Too, they are so easy to grow anyone can grow them, so don't pay for them.

I do jellies and jams so planting lots of berries is worth it to me. Why anyone would buy jellies is beyond me now. You can do a years worth in a day. Of course not if you keep giving them away like I do. [​IMG]

2. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Rancher, I picked them up at Countrymax. It's a shrub, I've abandoned them and they are very hardy. I was pruning them back and instead of throwing the clipped branches in the burn pile, I stuck them in the ground right where I wanted some more, made sure they were watered, and they are doing very well 2 years later. Not producing anything from the cuttings yet, but the original bush did great last summer. If I prune this spring would you like me to save you a started clipping?
    They would make a very good jelly! My problem is they never last longer than the walk back to the house.

3. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    I know this probably came off sounding very selfish on my part, but I have wanted to be a SAHM for a couple of years now. I have this dead end job that I've been working for 11 years now, I'm at the bottom of the totem pole in my company, and I did like it at one point. I do not make a lot of money, I do work part time AND from home AND a flexible schedule so YES I should be grateful to have this job. Just lately it's become more stressful and I do not enjoy it anymore. I am not working for benefits as my husband's job takes care of those. I am simply here to give me something to do during the day and make a little extra spending $ on top of the extra we now have. I told my husband I wanted to quit at the end of last year but we both discussed the state of the department as of late and with jobs getting cut left and right I'm staying this year to see what kind of package they will give me once our dept is chopped. But right now I am not getting paid enough to stress about this job the way they are causing me to stress. :)

4. Lynzi777

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    Well I was in the house when I saw it and they are up on the top of the hill now so it was hard to see. I DO know that neither of the white silkies were out of the coop and down under in the run part of it. It looked to me like it was the roo and the three chicks, all the darker ones. No one seemed to run back up into the coop, then again I don't think the chicks would know better.

5. Framac

Framac Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    New Berlin
    The Problem Rancher is the people who decide to sit their 1-2 year old in the tub to get pictures, and the squash chicks left and right. I think it is more for the chicks protection. They did it about 3 weeks in last year. The TSC in Oneida had RIR's.

If you need some Amer Eggs let me know. I can save you some.

Framac.

6. Lynzi777

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    Wow...I guess I just live in this "world" where I would expect people to have more respect than that. Any time we've gone into TS and they have had chicks, I always ask if one of the workers could take one out so that my kids could pet one, not even hold one, but just pet one and they have. I can't stand when you walk into a store and people have no control of their kids.

7. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Hi guys. I went back a few pages, and didn't see this discussed anywhere.
    Marquisella had major surgery on Tuesday.
    She had to have a heart valve replaced, and they had to split her chest open again.
    This is the second time she has had this done.
    I know it's kind of creepy, but I wanted anyone who knows her to wish her good healing vibes.
    I have not spoken to her yet, but just wanted to throw this up on your thread.
    Thanks, I hope anyone can say a little prayer for her. [​IMG]

8. County Boy

County Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2012
    Petersburg Ny
    Does anybody here know of someone who has Columbian Cochin Bantams besides Jamie Matts? He charges way to much IMO.

9. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    Marquisella, best wishes for a speedy recovery!

10. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

Not creepy At ALL ..thanks for letting us know ..
    Marquisella, rest up & heal quickly ...BEST of Health to you .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by