NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I have tons of wild roses. I'm cutting them down and trying to clear things out. They are everywhere.
    Spring must be right around the corner as I hear more song birds in the morning.

2. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    DW had open heart years ago, as did my son when he was little. It's much harder the older you are.

3. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Marquisella, Here is to hoping you have a speedy and uneventful recovery.

4. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Stopped at the public library today to pick up my stash. I've taken every book out that has to do with poultry so I can research Ducks.

It was pretty heavy as I can get books from other libraries in the county. The librarian asked if I had a cart. [​IMG] Nearly gave myself a hernia.

Now if anyone is coming this way wants eggs to hatch let me know. I usually leave them on the counter over night so if you give me a heads up I'll set some aside. Our laundry room stays cool. It will have to be a mix of whatever the girls have in mind. Free to BYC members. If I have them of course.

Which reminds me. I was in TSC yesterday and there was a lady there who had chickens but never heard of BYC. Can you believe it? Well I gave her my card and told her to get committed or is it admitted.

AND then today there was a guy looking at chicks and I talked to him too and gave him a card. I personally think this place should give out member ship cards and a packet of information like I used to get from the Felix the Cat club. [​IMG]

FYI they've started another Granny Square swap. This one is for flower squares.

Take care folks and have a good night,

Rancher

5. Cydney83

Cydney83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Central New York!
    Marquisella(Sue) is doing well. Up and walking..in a lot of pain...tho they didn't have to split her chest bone this time! Wonderful! I am sure she will be on soon to fill in the blanks!
    I believe he sold his line..could be wrong though!

6. horsekeeper

horsekeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Middleburgh, NY
  7. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Morning all! This is (according to my chickens) day 2 of incarcerataion. Between the snowfall and then all the rain yesterday all the runs are puddled and muddy. Really bad as the water had no place to go because of the snow. So they shall spend another day in lockdown until it freezes up again or drys out to an acceptable level. Guess I will be going to the grocery store to get them some greens to keep them busy.

Rancher---you are going to need a part time job just to support your habit!!! How goes your war with the winged predators? I heard the falcon this morning but didnt see it. I know its about that time when they show up again looking for easy pickings.

Marquisella--I hope you have a speedy recovery that is boring and uncomplicated.

Stony---amazing what tastes good when you dont know what it is huh? Mind over matter. I have always wanted to try groundhog as I have heard they are very tasty. Being picky vegetarians, I would imagine the meat is very tasty. My father once spent 3 years trying to get a groundhog out in the cornfield. That groundhog drove my father crazy because every time he got a bead on him, he would disspear. It was funny watching my dad hollering and running out to the field when he finally nailed him with his rifle. I think he was glad that he had finally won the war that had raged on for so long! lol It was a big one too!

Only a couple more days before I get to set up my new bators and fire them up!!! So excited!

8. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    You are certainly not selfish for wanting to be a SAHM. I often find that SAHM's don't get the credit that they deserve. I get alot of flack for being a SAHM, and it amazes me that some people genuinly thing SAHM are dumb and incapable of working. Obviously, these are small minded people, but they are out. My life is BUSY...with children, and I like it that way. I am a good mom, heck I'm an OUTSTANDING mother, and I wouldn't change anything in my life. You have to do what is right for you and be sure to live in the moment, work will be there tomorrow...
    My husband has a VERY demanding schedule and at this time, I do need to be there for my family. At some point,I will go back to work, but now is just not that time. Remember to take some time for yourself and don't feel guilty for it, you will be a better mom if you do get some you time in as well. I spent years NEVER giving myself a break when it came to my family. Getting some time in for myself took some getting used to, but I am a happier and more energetic mom when I take even an hour for myself. My favorite time of the day is my gym time and silkie chicken therapy. Don't feel bad for wanting to be home for your family![​IMG]If you come up with a workable budget, you can do it!

This particular thread has inspired me because so many of you have a very natural approach to your daily lives. Gardening, canning, repurposing, composting, etc. Our family has become far less wasteful and more aware of taking a natural approach to our lives. In fact, we now make our own laundry detergent and fabric softener. It's fun and cheap! I like saving my $$.[​IMG]

I'm stepping off of my soapbox now.[​IMG]

9. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I am overrun with mud as well. My chickens still get to go out because they can go under the porch, where, by the way I have just put their food and water in an effort to keep them out of the muck.

10. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    Cass, or Rancher (since you have all the county library books), are muscovys the only ones who eat flies, or do all ducks? My land literally hums in the spring for a few days with the cluster flies waking up. My husband might like ducks. And there are sometimes those biting flies....hmmm. Sales pitch coming on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by