NY chicken lover!!!!

that sound really nice. Do you think if you wrapped the cuttings in wet paper towels and then plastic and mailed them to me that would work? I could mail you the postage. Then I could stick them in the ground here. OR I could send you a jar of my Jelly/Jam in exchange. I've made Red currant, Rubarb Pineapple, Pomegranate, Black Currant, and all the usual Strawberry , Raspberry kinds.

Now does anyone have Marquisella's address? So I can send her a card. Could you just PM it to me? Or if you know what hospital she is in, I could send it there. If you think she'll be there long enough.

I'm planning on getting Ducks.
Lord help me Jesus! I must be losing my mind.

Rancher
Nurseries mail things all the time. I would suggest wet newspaper around the paper towel, inside a plastic bag, taped shut.

She will be in the hospital for about a week. Shorter if she heals really well and has a wonderful support system at home, longer if she doesn't heal like they would like or has no one at home to help her. (the biggest problem with this particular surgury is the split breast bone. If you use your arms to get out of a chair you can cause the bone to separate and/or heal unevenly...not something a woman wants to have happen) If she doesn't have a good support system at home they might send her to a rehab hospital to heal more and learn how to take care of herself while she heals. If she has done this before then she will probably come home sooner instead of later, assuming the valve has no problem.

DUCKS? Did you know that muscovy ducks like to eat flies? I didn't and I sure have enough flies to feed a small flock. (I suspect the cows down yonder have something to do with the huge fly count, cuz I know the chickens are eating the larva as soon as they hatch here in the chicken yard)

Ohhh...is this part of the deal? Buy some Rancher chickens, get a jelly or jam free?
wink.png

The photograph I saw of the grape vines was in a neat book I checked out of the public library called "A Chicken in Every Yard". According to the authors, it's their favorite plant for training onto a run's fence.

For your free range birds, I suppose you could shape some tall wire trellises that form overhangs and then train something fast growing up them. They would provide some safer hang outs and shade for your birds and would probably look nice, too.

I have watched a Cooper's Hawk land on the ground and attempt to stretch under some brushy wild rose bushes in an effort to get to the little songbirds that hide there. It was unsuccessful, and as long as those little birds stay put, they're safe. Those wild roses are like Fort Knox. You might consider something like them; I have tons growing on my lot. They hurt like a you-know-what when you get scratched, but smell heavenly in June when they're flowering. I could dig up a few smaller ones and you could try to transplant them in the spring.

TOB

I have tons of wild roses. I'm cutting them down and trying to clear things out. They are everywhere.
Spring must be right around the corner as I hear more song birds in the morning.

Nurseries mail things all the time. I would suggest wet newspaper around the paper towel, inside a plastic bag, taped shut.

She will be in the hospital for about a week. Shorter if she heals really well and has a wonderful support system at home, longer if she doesn't heal like they would like or has no one at home to help her. (the biggest problem with this particular surgury is the split breast bone. If you use your arms to get out of a chair you can cause the bone to separate and/or heal unevenly...not something a woman wants to have happen) If she doesn't have a good support system at home they might send her to a rehab hospital to heal more and learn how to take care of herself while she heals. If she has done this before then she will probably come home sooner instead of later, assuming the valve has no problem.

DUCKS? Did you know that muscovy ducks like to eat flies? I didn't and I sure have enough flies to feed a small flock. (I suspect the cows down yonder have something to do with the huge fly count, cuz I know the chickens are eating the larva as soon as they hatch here in the chicken yard)

DW had open heart years ago, as did my son when he was little. It's much harder the older you are.

Hi guys. I went back a few pages, and didn't see this discussed anywhere.
Marquisella had major surgery on Tuesday.
She had to have a heart valve replaced, and they had to split her chest open again.
This is the second time she has had this done.
I know it's kind of creepy, but I wanted anyone who knows her to wish her good healing vibes.
I have not spoken to her yet, but just wanted to throw this up on your thread.
Thanks, I hope anyone can say a little prayer for her.
hugs.gif

Marquisella, Here is to hoping you have a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Stopped at the public library today to pick up my stash. I've taken every book out that has to do with poultry so I can research Ducks.

It was pretty heavy as I can get books from other libraries in the county. The librarian asked if I had a cart.
lol.png
Nearly gave myself a hernia.

Now if anyone is coming this way wants eggs to hatch let me know. I usually leave them on the counter over night so if you give me a heads up I'll set some aside. Our laundry room stays cool. It will have to be a mix of whatever the girls have in mind. Free to BYC members. If I have them of course.

Which reminds me. I was in TSC yesterday and there was a lady there who had chickens but never heard of BYC. Can you believe it? Well I gave her my card and told her to get committed or is it admitted.

AND then today there was a guy looking at chicks and I talked to him too and gave him a card. I personally think this place should give out member ship cards and a packet of information like I used to get from the Felix the Cat club.
lol.png

FYI they've started another Granny Square swap. This one is for flower squares.

Take care folks and have a good night,

Rancher

Not creepy At ALL ..thanks for letting us know ..
Marquisella, rest up & heal quickly ...BEST of Health to you .
Marquisella(Sue) is doing well. Up and walking..in a lot of pain...tho they didn't have to split her chest bone this time! Wonderful! I am sure she will be on soon to fill in the blanks!
Does anybody here know of someone who has Columbian Cochin Bantams besides Jamie Matts? He charges way to much IMO.

I believe he sold his line..could be wrong though!

Morning all! This is (according to my chickens) day 2 of incarcerataion. Between the snowfall and then all the rain yesterday all the runs are puddled and muddy. Really bad as the water had no place to go because of the snow. So they shall spend another day in lockdown until it freezes up again or drys out to an acceptable level. Guess I will be going to the grocery store to get them some greens to keep them busy.

Rancher---you are going to need a part time job just to support your habit!!! How goes your war with the winged predators? I heard the falcon this morning but didnt see it. I know its about that time when they show up again looking for easy pickings.

Marquisella--I hope you have a speedy recovery that is boring and uncomplicated.

Stony---amazing what tastes good when you dont know what it is huh? Mind over matter. I have always wanted to try groundhog as I have heard they are very tasty. Being picky vegetarians, I would imagine the meat is very tasty. My father once spent 3 years trying to get a groundhog out in the cornfield. That groundhog drove my father crazy because every time he got a bead on him, he would disspear. It was funny watching my dad hollering and running out to the field when he finally nailed him with his rifle. I think he was glad that he had finally won the war that had raged on for so long! lol It was a big one too!

Only a couple more days before I get to set up my new bators and fire them up!!! So excited!

I know this probably came off sounding very selfish on my part, but I have wanted to be a SAHM for a couple of years now. I have this dead end job that I've been working for 11 years now, I'm at the bottom of the totem pole in my company, and I did like it at one point. I do not make a lot of money, I do work part time AND from home AND a flexible schedule so YES I should be grateful to have this job. Just lately it's become more stressful and I do not enjoy it anymore. I am not working for benefits as my husband's job takes care of those. I am simply here to give me something to do during the day and make a little extra spending $ on top of the extra we now have. I told my husband I wanted to quit at the end of last year but we both discussed the state of the department as of late and with jobs getting cut left and right I'm staying this year to see what kind of package they will give me once our dept is chopped. But right now I am not getting paid enough to stress about this job the way they are causing me to stress. :)
You are certainly not selfish for wanting to be a SAHM. I often find that SAHM's don't get the credit that they deserve. I get alot of flack for being a SAHM, and it amazes me that some people genuinly thing SAHM are dumb and incapable of working. Obviously, these are small minded people, but they are out. My life is BUSY...with children, and I like it that way. I am a good mom, heck I'm an OUTSTANDING mother, and I wouldn't change anything in my life. You have to do what is right for you and be sure to live in the moment, work will be there tomorrow...
My husband has a VERY demanding schedule and at this time, I do need to be there for my family. At some point,I will go back to work, but now is just not that time. Remember to take some time for yourself and don't feel guilty for it, you will be a better mom if you do get some you time in as well. I spent years NEVER giving myself a break when it came to my family. Getting some time in for myself took some getting used to, but I am a happier and more energetic mom when I take even an hour for myself. My favorite time of the day is my gym time and silkie chicken therapy. Don't feel bad for wanting to be home for your family!
hugs.gif
If you come up with a workable budget, you can do it!

This particular thread has inspired me because so many of you have a very natural approach to your daily lives. Gardening, canning, repurposing, composting, etc. Our family has become far less wasteful and more aware of taking a natural approach to our lives. In fact, we now make our own laundry detergent and fabric softener. It's fun and cheap! I like saving my $$.
lol.png

I'm stepping off of my soapbox now.
roll.png

Morning all! This is (according to my chickens) day 2 of incarcerataion. Between the snowfall and then all the rain yesterday all the runs are puddled and muddy. Really bad as the water had no place to go because of the snow. So they shall spend another day in lockdown until it freezes up again or drys out to an acceptable level. Guess I will be going to the grocery store to get them some greens to keep them busy.

Rancher---you are going to need a part time job just to support your habit!!! How goes your war with the winged predators? I heard the falcon this morning but didnt see it. I know its about that time when they show up again looking for easy pickings.

Marquisella--I hope you have a speedy recovery that is boring and uncomplicated.

Stony---amazing what tastes good when you dont know what it is huh? Mind over matter. I have always wanted to try groundhog as I have heard they are very tasty. Being picky vegetarians, I would imagine the meat is very tasty. My father once spent 3 years trying to get a groundhog out in the cornfield. That groundhog drove my father crazy because every time he got a bead on him, he would disspear. It was funny watching my dad hollering and running out to the field when he finally nailed him with his rifle. I think he was glad that he had finally won the war that had raged on for so long! lol It was a big one too!

Only a couple more days before I get to set up my new bators and fire them up!!! So excited!
I am overrun with mud as well. My chickens still get to go out because they can go under the porch, where, by the way I have just put their food and water in an effort to keep them out of the muck.

Back
Top Bottom