NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Yes this is true. It only takes a minute to check in you know. [​IMG] [​IMG] Tomorrow is day 14 for me and i'll candle a few again. I've got one or two eggs riding on top of others since I'm missing a row in my turner. If anyone has a broken turner I could use it to replace this missing row.

Anyhow Lady be good and I hope all turns out well with your hatch.

2. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    It really is the housing for me. I have to fix things so I can make a full circle with my snowblower in the winter. If I add a shallow pond it will be right in the middle of the side yard and I'll need a way over or around it.

I'd like a nice long but narrow pond with a bridge over the middle. That would look so cool.

3. Cydney83

Cydney83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Central New York!
    I have been a SAHM for 21 years. Had my first and was going back to work but the bank made the decision for me to stay home. I now have five kids and won't change a thing. Broke isn't even close to the right word to use. But I love it..I too have cleaned house...daycare and now working of a Dove release business. My youngest is 4. Best thing you can do!
    Very nice!
    GOOD LUCK Rancher! As for the hawks...they love my place! The homers have learned to out fly them! But I did lose one to a hawk. Recently there was 2 drive bombing the homers. I look for the hawks before I loft fly them but it is amazing how the hawks can just show up!

4. Cydney83

Cydney83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Central New York!
    I would love ducks! DH says no!!!!!! Hope you can get them!

5. Framac

Framac Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    New Berlin
    Your Husband must be talking to my wife :p

6. ladylibra

ladylibra Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Oneida, NY
    was that in 2011? #3 was born November 2011, My oldest is 8, middle is 31/2, and last is 15 mnths. I'm GREAT!

1 person likes this.
  7. ladylibra

ladylibra Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Oneida, NY
    what a beautiful brooder!

8. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    My older brothers raced pigeons, but we never talked about the hawk situation. I may call my older brother to have a talk. I haven't seen this one for a while. I hope I don't, but will be buying a gun just in case. AND taking other measures like planting strategically.

Kit Kat nice brooder. I hope you have many happy brooding experiences with it. I like the window part very much.

Anyone want to give some input on computer printers? Mine is on it's last leg I think. It won't grab the paper and I have no idea how to fix it. Plus sometimes it seems sluggish. Which might be the ink sticking due to the missed paper events. Jets might be plugged a bit.

9. JBerguson

JBerguson New Egg

Feb 28, 2013
    Hello, this will be my first time raising chikens, I have gotten tons of ideas for coops...I wanted to know what is the best laying breed to start with? I had chickens many years ago but I cannot remember what we had. (they were all black) I found some helpful tips on rasing happy chickens. Any help anyone can give would be great.. We live in North Central Pennsylvania...so we get snow and rain and hot summers...Thanks!!!!!

10. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Welcome to BYC, JB. [​IMG]

I'm a newbie, myself, but already feel like I've got a good bit of knowledge to get me started due to burning through chicken guides like a wildlife, but especially because of all the help and advice I've gotten from nice, knowledgeable folks here. I'm sure you'll get some great direction.

Do you have any other requirements or wants in a breed(s) other than laying and weather hardy? (i.e. temperament)

TOB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by