NY chicken lover!!!!

Hello, this will be my first time raising chikens, I have gotten tons of ideas for coops...I wanted to know what is the best laying breed to start with? I had chickens many years ago but I cannot remember what we had. (they were all black) I found some helpful tips on rasing happy chickens. Any help anyone can give would be great.. We live in North Central Pennsylvania...so we get snow and rain and hot summers...Thanks!!!!!

Welcome to BYC, JB.
frow.gif

I'm a newbie, myself, but already feel like I've got a good bit of knowledge to get me started due to burning through chicken guides like a wildlife, but especially because of all the help and advice I've gotten from nice, knowledgeable folks here. I'm sure you'll get some great direction.

Do you have any other requirements or wants in a breed(s) other than laying and weather hardy? (i.e. temperament)

TOB

Welcome to BYC, JB.
frow.gif

I'm a newbie, myself, but already feel like I've got a good bit of knowledge to get me started due to burning through chicken guides like a wildfire, but especially because of all the help and advice I've gotten from nice, knowledgeable folks here. I'm sure you'll get some great direction.

Do you have any other requirements or wants in a breed(s) other than laying and weather hardy? (i.e. temperament)

TOB

PS: the Hobby Farms Magazine "Guide to Chicken Breeds" has been really fun and helpful...I purchased mine at Tractor Supply Co. for $10.

Last edited:
Hello, this will be my first time raising chikens, I have gotten tons of ideas for coops...I wanted to know what is the best laying breed to start with? I had chickens many years ago but I cannot remember what we had. (they were all black) I found some helpful tips on rasing happy chickens. Any help anyone can give would be great.. We live in North Central Pennsylvania...so we get snow and rain and hot summers...Thanks!!!!!

welcome-byc.gif
Pennsyvania? Is that near Transyvania? What country is it in?

I'm sure you'll find as many opinions on which is best, as there are breeds of chickens. If it's eggs you want, go with any of the hybrids. As for that coop? Bigger is always better. You can keep fewer chickens in a big coop but you can't add more chickens to a small coop. YOU WILL WANT MORE.

Have fun,

Rancher

Last edited:
Rancher, I wish you would get Silkies. NOT DUCKS.
We had Call show ducks for many years. They
are LOADS OF WORK. My husband made a pond
for them.

They do not come in or go out without direction.
We lost ours. We were so upset at the time.
Now I think it was the BEST that could have happened

The Silkie Chickens are a lot less work and they give
us eggs. I DO NOT VOTE FOR DUCKS. Yes, you are
(like you said) losing your mind. Have fun. Regards, Aria

You are certainly not selfish for wanting to be a SAHM. I often find that SAHM's don't get the credit that they deserve. I get alot of flack for being a SAHM, and it amazes me that some people genuinly thing SAHM are dumb and incapable of working. Obviously, these are small minded people, but they are out. My life is BUSY...with children, and I like it that way. I am a good mom, heck I'm an OUTSTANDING mother, and I wouldn't change anything in my life. You have to do what is right for you and be sure to live in the moment, work will be there tomorrow...
My husband has a VERY demanding schedule and at this time, I do need to be there for my family. At some point,I will go back to work, but now is just not that time. Remember to take some time for yourself and don't feel guilty for it, you will be a better mom if you do get some you time in as well. I spent years NEVER giving myself a break when it came to my family. Getting some time in for myself took some getting used to, but I am a happier and more energetic mom when I take even an hour for myself. My favorite time of the day is my gym time and silkie chicken therapy. Don't feel bad for wanting to be home for your family!
hugs.gif
If you come up with a workable budget, you can do it!

This particular thread has inspired me because so many of you have a very natural approach to your daily lives. Gardening, canning, repurposing, composting, etc. Our family has become far less wasteful and more aware of taking a natural approach to our lives. In fact, we now make our own laundry detergent and fabric softener. It's fun and cheap! I like saving my $$.
lol.png

I'm stepping off of my soapbox now.
roll.png

I agree, nothing selfish about that. Doing what is right for your family. After My 3rd babykins came we decided that I will stay home. I work the Homestead and enjoy raising my children, gardens,chickens,ducks,pigs,and rabbits. (we raise most of all our own meat) As for finances, we are pretty broke-but who isn't! We make it work and we are all happier for it. I had a similar situation with my job. The amount of stress it generated wasn't worth the income it provided. We've recently decided to Homeschool our children too, something that, when I was working never even crossed our minds. That ONE decision to quit my job has opened up so many other doors. best advice ever- DO what is Right for YOU and YOur Family! The support is out there for whatever your path is.

Why is it being selfish? It would be selfish if only you benefited from it. I quit my full time job when I had my second child. I picked up cleaning a few houses for some income. Do what is right for you and your family.

Ok I guess I may have worded that wrong LOL I guess it's just the way I read Rancher's post when he mentioned "I would not be so quick to give up a job." I know plenty of people who are either looking for jobs or would be very happy to have even the job I have, so I try to be careful who I say "I want to quit my job" around because I don't want to offend others who may be looking and having a hard time. That is all. I do get a lot of positive feedback from friends and family who hear me say I've about had it with my job - 11 years is wayyyy longer than I ever expected to last at this place. So at least people aren't discouraging me from it.
smile.png

LadyLibra ~ So nice to hear from you!! Welcome back!
smile.png

Rancher ~ Thats one of the perks of me working from home - my kids are home with me.
wink.png
But I recently got moved over to a new boss who I believe is going to soon ask that I work 40hrs and get daycare for my kids and that will be an absolute no way, Jose! I'm the only one from my company who works from home with no one watching my kids here or away from my home while I work. It's definitely a strict rule as a part of being a remote worker, but since I went home as a "guinea pig" to test the whole situation I am "grandfathered" in on the terms I went home on. the only reason they asked me to do this WAS because I put my two weeks notice in 4 years ago when we living in CT and my husband got a job offer in NY. I was working on the office then and when he took that job we both decided I would be a SAHM because he was making enough to cover my pay. Well here I am 4 years later still working from home! Why?!? Who knows! LOL

Last edited:
Just finished a new brooder a little while ago- it's got a big window in the front of it so I can take photos of the little peeps from an angle other than 'above'. It seemed about time I built a real brooder instead of using big tupperware bins or cardboard boxes assembled into some kind of makeshift chick castle. Thought I'd share a few pictures.
wee.gif

And I'm belatedly realizing I ended up taking more photos of the chicks (RIRs and Silkies) than the brooder itself... oops!
These are BEAUTIFUL pictures! So cute! Nice set up too!

Rancher, I wish you would get Silkies. NOT DUCKS.
We had Call show ducks for many years. They
are LOADS OF WORK. My husband made a pond
for them.

They do not come in or go out without direction.
We lost ours. We were so upset at the time.
Now I think it was the BEST that could have happened

The Silkie Chickens are a lot less work and they give
us eggs. I DO NOT VOTE FOR DUCKS. Yes, you are
(like you said) losing your mind. Have fun. Regards, Aria
That'll be the day!
lau.gif

Haven't been on in 2 days and wow over 100 posts to catch up on!

Yesterday morning was scary. I go into work at 3am and yesterday there was 4-5 inches of slush on the road, it was still sleeting, and the plow hadn't gone by yet. I did a 180 a couple driveways down from mine going only 30mph and was blessed to miss the ditch. Scared me silly! I pulled into my neighbors drive and got turned the right way so I could crawl the rest of the way to work. By 9am couldn't even tell the roads had been that bad only a few hours prior. Besides my scary drive I have a cold and haven't been sleeping well. My butt is feeling pretty kicked. Looking forward to the weekend so I can hopefully get some rest.

I think I wouldn't mind being a SAHM or a least go part time if I was able but I make more money than DH and carry the benefits. I think its great that many of you were able to! Baby #3 is going to make our lives busier and different, but richer in another sense.

We have 2 male guineas that we would like to sell if any one is interested. Just PM me.

Rancher, We have an Epson on the shelf WORTHLESS and expensive. We purchased
an HP and it works fine and very reasonable. Aria
I agree with the Epson being worthless. It's a long story I can't type all of it out. But the replacement stayed in the box and was donated to the school. I just could not look at it without wanting to take a hammer to it. It was the second replacement and by then I'd had it with Epson.

I have Lexmark right now and it was fine, but Lord have mercy they don't last very long. I am looking forward to getting a wireless one though. I need the whole sha-bang. Scanner, fax and everything.

Now Ladies, let me be clear on this. I am a strong advocate for SAHM's. If I was a girl and planning on having kids, I would be very clear with Mr. Right that I am NOT going to be doing double duty. I'm going to be a SAHM. No if's and's or buts.
I have often said when women decided to go outside the home to work they were CRAZY! I see DW and I feel so bad for her. Women will always do more than a man. Womens' lib my you know what!
Women had more control than they knew. DW controls, what I eat, wear and in many cases what I do. Or maybe they just do now that things have changed.

And I will admit women working has given my daughters more options. Anyhow I just think a girl should be clear on what she wants BEFORE she marries. Trust me ladies don't settle. Be patient. IMO girls/women need to be involved in clubs, associations or places that have to do with their interests. You won't find a good man, in one who spends all his time in a bar or clubbing and he won't find a good woman there either.

Lynzii, if you want to stay home and not work and your husband says go for it. I'll be glad for you and him and the kids. I'm just going through a trial right now and could use a job. House work is really not my thing. There is painting to do but it's to cold for that.
smile.png
There is some work to do in the basement. I'll have to look into that.
big_smile.png

OK I'm done. Now to those Ducks and Silkies. I may not get Ducks and I sure ain't getting Silkies. I may just have a hole dug for the water to drain into and a bridge built just for aethetics.

Back
Top Bottom