NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    [​IMG] Pennsyvania? Is that near Transyvania? What country is it in?

I'm sure you'll find as many opinions on which is best, as there are breeds of chickens. If it's eggs you want, go with any of the hybrids. As for that coop? Bigger is always better. You can keep fewer chickens in a big coop but you can't add more chickens to a small coop. YOU WILL WANT MORE.

Have fun,

Rancher

3. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Rancher, I wish you would get Silkies. NOT DUCKS.
    We had Call show ducks for many years. They
    are LOADS OF WORK. My husband made a pond
    for them.

They do not come in or go out without direction.
    We lost ours. We were so upset at the time.
    Now I think it was the BEST that could have happened

The Silkie Chickens are a lot less work and they give
    us eggs. I DO NOT VOTE FOR DUCKS. Yes, you are
    (like you said) losing your mind. Have fun. Regards, Aria

4. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT

Ok I guess I may have worded that wrong LOL I guess it's just the way I read Rancher's post when he mentioned "I would not be so quick to give up a job." I know plenty of people who are either looking for jobs or would be very happy to have even the job I have, so I try to be careful who I say "I want to quit my job" around because I don't want to offend others who may be looking and having a hard time. That is all. I do get a lot of positive feedback from friends and family who hear me say I've about had it with my job - 11 years is wayyyy longer than I ever expected to last at this place. So at least people aren't discouraging me from it. [​IMG]

LadyLibra ~ So nice to hear from you!! Welcome back! [​IMG]

Rancher ~ Thats one of the perks of me working from home - my kids are home with me. [​IMG] But I recently got moved over to a new boss who I believe is going to soon ask that I work 40hrs and get daycare for my kids and that will be an absolute no way, Jose! I'm the only one from my company who works from home with no one watching my kids here or away from my home while I work. It's definitely a strict rule as a part of being a remote worker, but since I went home as a "guinea pig" to test the whole situation I am "grandfathered" in on the terms I went home on. the only reason they asked me to do this WAS because I put my two weeks notice in 4 years ago when we living in CT and my husband got a job offer in NY. I was working on the office then and when he took that job we both decided I would be a SAHM because he was making enough to cover my pay. Well here I am 4 years later still working from home! Why?!? Who knows! LOL

5. Lynzi777

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    These are BEAUTIFUL pictures! So cute! Nice set up too!

6. Lynzi777

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    That'll be the day! [​IMG]

7. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010

8. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    Haven't been on in 2 days and wow over 100 posts to catch up on!

Yesterday morning was scary. I go into work at 3am and yesterday there was 4-5 inches of slush on the road, it was still sleeting, and the plow hadn't gone by yet. I did a 180 a couple driveways down from mine going only 30mph and was blessed to miss the ditch. Scared me silly! I pulled into my neighbors drive and got turned the right way so I could crawl the rest of the way to work. By 9am couldn't even tell the roads had been that bad only a few hours prior. Besides my scary drive I have a cold and haven't been sleeping well. My butt is feeling pretty kicked. Looking forward to the weekend so I can hopefully get some rest.

I think I wouldn't mind being a SAHM or a least go part time if I was able but I make more money than DH and carry the benefits. I think its great that many of you were able to! Baby #3 is going to make our lives busier and different, but richer in another sense.

We have 2 male guineas that we would like to sell if any one is interested. Just PM me.

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I agree with the Epson being worthless. It's a long story I can't type all of it out. But the replacement stayed in the box and was donated to the school. I just could not look at it without wanting to take a hammer to it. It was the second replacement and by then I'd had it with Epson.

I have Lexmark right now and it was fine, but Lord have mercy they don't last very long. I am looking forward to getting a wireless one though. I need the whole sha-bang. Scanner, fax and everything.

Now Ladies, let me be clear on this. I am a strong advocate for SAHM's. If I was a girl and planning on having kids, I would be very clear with Mr. Right that I am NOT going to be doing double duty. I'm going to be a SAHM. No if's and's or buts.
    I have often said when women decided to go outside the home to work they were CRAZY! I see DW and I feel so bad for her. Women will always do more than a man. Womens' lib my you know what!
    Women had more control than they knew. DW controls, what I eat, wear and in many cases what I do. Or maybe they just do now that things have changed.

And I will admit women working has given my daughters more options. Anyhow I just think a girl should be clear on what she wants BEFORE she marries. Trust me ladies don't settle. Be patient. IMO girls/women need to be involved in clubs, associations or places that have to do with their interests. You won't find a good man, in one who spends all his time in a bar or clubbing and he won't find a good woman there either.

Lynzii, if you want to stay home and not work and your husband says go for it. I'll be glad for you and him and the kids. I'm just going through a trial right now and could use a job. House work is really not my thing. There is painting to do but it's to cold for that. [​IMG] There is some work to do in the basement. I'll have to look into that. [​IMG]

OK I'm done. Now to those Ducks and Silkies. I may not get Ducks and I sure ain't getting Silkies. I may just have a hole dug for the water to drain into and a bridge built just for aethetics.

10. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    I have done that one time in our old pick-up truck (180) and hope I never have the pleasure again. Glad you didn't get hurt! Hope you're feeling better and over your cold soon. Ugh!

TOB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by