NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Kit Kat, what a nice brooder! Much nicer than the cardboard box mine get!

Rancher, it should be fine to send the cuttings like that, I'm not worried about the postage...but oh boy how do I choose?! I might need some hatching eggs sometime in April or May if you're up for that - if that cost more in postage for you I'll be sure to re-iburse you.

I'm crossing my fingers that my hardy kiwi's come up this spring - I got cuttings from a friend last year, but the dry summer we had didn't help much. I'm not sure I have any left. I broke down and bought the soaker hose way to late.

Tomorrow is hatch day for one of the eggs!!! I can't wait to see pictures (which of course I will share!) [​IMG]

2. Cydney83

Cydney83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Central New York!
    Congrats on #3! Hope all goes well! The only thing with being a SAHM...you work a whole let harder...before I became one things were shared...now it is amazing what can be done it a day! I do love that i am here for the kids...sorry about the scare! Glad you are ok!

sounds pretty!

3. brahmapapa

brahmapapa Chillin' With My Peeps

i hope im not intruding here by offering my opinion but while other ducks do consume some flies and other insects, muscovies do a particularly good job of it. muscovies will also eat small rodents.

4. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    On printers, we have an HP that is supposed to print photos well, and I hate it. I buy the large packages of ink, but don't print too much, so that sounds frugal, right? The HP tells me that the ink has expired, and to use it will void the warranty. It also has trouble every time I do print, and I have to mess around with the paper tray until it will print. When I'm done I turn it off with its switch, but every time it accuses me of improper shut down. We have had it replaced once already. This is not my favorite machine. Have to stop thinking about the hammer.

5. brahmapapa

as far as printers go i recommend cannon printers. many companise practically give the printers away but charge way to much for the ink cartridges, several models of cannon come with regular cartridges, not starter cartridges already in them and they get good mileage out of each cartridge and they are not too expensive.

6. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    Ducks are the best. Right now we only have 11. But duck broody season hasn't started yet. 9 of our ducks are female. Hoping to at the very least double the number of female ducks this season. Don't tell my chickens, but I prefer my ducks over my chickens. [​IMG] From the completely entertaining perspective as well as the ease of raising them. Ducks welcome newbies with open wings. No peckingorder issues here adding new ducks ever. Getting the right duck gets you a LOT of jumbo eggs a season, and ducks play all day long. They get along with chickens better than most chickens get along with one another.

7. brahmapapa

the best layers of the standard breeds are rhode island reds, highest producers of eggs of all the heavy breeds. heavy breeds do better in the northeast. if the breed that you had was black they might have been black australorps

8. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Phew, cuz I didn't know the answer. LOL Glad you chimed in, brahmapapa.

9. brahmapapa

no prob Cass, i love muscovies, they are basically silent, well behaved, they are great for breast meat too, very lean, not like peking ducks. I love the taste of peking but as i said muscovies are leaner. a side note...as far as i know all domestic ducks trace thier roots back to the mallard except the muscovy duck.

10. armorfirelady

armorfirelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Hamburg, NY
    My Coop
    Stony- if I could have ducks I would get some like yours. I love your runners. They are beautiful!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by