NY chicken lover!!!!

Morning all. Mud firmed up last night with the cooler temps so I wasnt sinking as I made my way out to let everyone out this morning. I am sure that will change when it warms up some. I got 19 eggs yesterday
clap.gif
from the girls, 5 of them being from the oldest divas. They must know my canning plans for them this spring! Delivering 2 dozen this morning to work. Egg sales have been brisk so my cheeps are keeping themselves in feed, scratch and pine shavings.

Incubators get set up and turned on tomorrow. I will be reading and rereading all the instructions to both and following them to the letter. I am hoping to have good hatches this year. Heritage rir eggs are coming this week and I have been collecting silkie eggs. I know the eggs from the terrorist pen are fertile as I see the bullseye when I crack them open for cooking and baking. I want to raise a couple of hatches and process them for future use. Hence the canning method. This way, if the power goes out, I dont have to worry about losing anything or cooking stuff. I will have ready to go chicken, already cooked.

Tab--congrats on number three. As a mom of three myself, it is a unique number with its own set of rules. Any more, its just another kid. Any less, they have each other. Anyways, may you have an easy and uneventful pregnancy.

I think if we are going to have a sequester, the first layoffs should be the 535 positions held in Congress along with our esteemed leader. Seems only fair in my opinion. Thats all I'm going to say.

just passing along what I'm told. Thought that might be helpful information. Just because it was put in print does not mean it is accurate. Lots of stuff that makes the front page of BYC in their articles are seriously void of real world facts

We can all believe what we want I suppose. Based on the "what I'm told", assessment my ex wife really did love me. However if you don't mind I'll go by her actions when she packed her crap and took off for parts unknown, that that was not the case.
lau.gif

PBS has a special on Ducks that you can watch on line if it's still available. As I said before it's really doesn't matter to me where ducks originated. If I want some I'll get some.

That's all I have to quack on this matter.

" All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful, The Lord God made them all."

Morning all. Mud firmed up last night with the cooler temps so I wasnt sinking as I made my way out to let everyone out this morning. I am sure that will change when it warms up some. I got 19 eggs yesterday
clap.gif
from the girls, 5 of them being from the oldest divas. They must know my canning plans for them this spring! Delivering 2 dozen this morning to work. Egg sales have been brisk so my cheeps are keeping themselves in feed, scratch and pine shavings.

Incubators get set up and turned on tomorrow. I will be reading and rereading all the instructions to both and following them to the letter. I am hoping to have good hatches this year. Heritage rir eggs are coming this week and I have been collecting silkie eggs. I know the eggs from the terrorist pen are fertile as I see the bullseye when I crack them open for cooking and baking. I want to raise a couple of hatches and process them for future use. Hence the canning method. This way, if the power goes out, I dont have to worry about losing anything or cooking stuff. I will have ready to go chicken, already cooked.

Tab--congrats on number three. As a mom of three myself, it is a unique number with its own set of rules. Any more, its just another kid. Any less, they have each other. Anyways, may you have an easy and uneventful pregnancy.

I think if we are going to have a sequester, the first layoffs should be the 535 positions held in Congress along with our esteemed leader. Seems only fair in my opinion. Thats all I'm going to say.
there needs to be some accountability on the part of our elected officials for thier lack of responsibility to the people who elected them and pay thier salaries. Maybe everytime they cease to function as alected, thier pay should cease.

We can all believe what we want I suppose. Based on the "what I'm told", assessment my ex wife really did love me. However if you don't mind I'll go by her actions when she packed her crap and took off for parts unknown, that that was not the case.
lau.gif

PBS has a special on Ducks that you can watch on line if it's still available. As I said before it's really doesn't matter to me where ducks originated. If I want some I'll get some.

That's all I have to quack on this matter.

" All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful, The Lord God made them all."
let's use one "for instance" as to a printed article being largely wrong information. BYC, front page a few weeks ago. Article written by someone who Googled all of their information. Or got it from BYC. No real world experience. She went on to make up charts then talk about Sumatra's which she does not own. According to her "article" (which got RAVE reviews from the sheep on BYC) Sumatra's are terrible egg layers (mine average 5 eggs each a week, many lay 6 days a week), they are not good broody's ( I know for certain this is completely FALSE) , they are terrible foragers ( so false I nearly had to wrap my head with duct tape to keep it from exploding
hmm.png
) and are incapable of sustaining cold weather ( a bunch of poop if I've ever heard a bunch of poop).
So I give a nice reply saying thanks for the article, but it is seriously void of facts and here is where it is wrong, as a Sumatra owner for many years. She attacked me, and then a bunch of newbies attacked me for DARING to correct mistakes and instead said I should compliment her on all of the hard work she put into this article.
Ok one more for instance. The storey's books tell us chickens and turkeys absolutely positively can not be raised together. According to them your chickens WILL die. No if's ands or buts about it. Yet the country is full of people who do just this. I know many who do both personally and online.

I learned everything I know about raising ducks by doing just that, raising ducks. Same with raising chickens. When I started out raising chickens I read everything on BYC and after a few years or raising chickens found out that most of the material in print online is seriously wrong. SO MUCH bad information out there.

So all I am saying is, and I'm sure you know this. Don't believe everything you read as gospel .

let's use one "for instance" as to a printed article being largely wrong information. BYC, front page a few weeks ago. Article written by someone who Googled all of their information. Or got it from BYC. No real world experience. She went on to make up charts then talk about Sumatra's which she does not own. According to her "article" (which got RAVE reviews from the sheep on BYC) Sumatra's are terrible egg layers (mine average 5 eggs each a week, many lay 6 days a week), they are not good broody's ( I know for certain this is completely FALSE) , they are terrible foragers ( so false I nearly had to wrap my head with duct tape to keep it from exploding
hmm.png
) and are incapable of sustaining cold weather ( a bunch of poop if I've ever heard a bunch of poop). So I give a nice reply saying thanks for the article, but it is seriously void of facts and here is where it is wrong, as a Sumatra owner for many years. She attacked me, and then a bunch of newbies attacked me for DARING to correct mistakes and instead said I should compliment her on all of the hard work she put into this article. Ok one more for instance. The storey's books tell us chickens and turkeys absolutely positively can not be raised together. According to them your chickens WILL die. No if's ands or buts about it. Yet the country is full of people who do just this. I know many who do both personally and online. I learned everything I know about raising ducks by doing just that, raising ducks. Same with raising chickens. When I started out raising chickens I read everything on BYC and after a few years or raising chickens found out that most of the material in print online is seriously wrong. SO MUCH bad information out there. So all I am saying is, and I'm sure you know this. Don't believe everything you read as gospel .
I agree, everyone has a different opinion on here and others are quick to attack someone with a different outlook on things. Everyone should do what works best for them, this site is for getting advice and maybe trying what other people say is best but that don't mean it will work for everyone. We all want the same thing, healthy backyard poultry. I am new to this site but I have noticed a lot of "know it alls" but I'm not gonna argue with anyone about that.

Agreed Brahmapapa.

As a history teacher and historian, I will only say this on the current debate going on here...I learned to take apart arguements, documents and books because as a historian we have to answer the following questions

What is the authors arguement? Where did their information come from? What do they want you to believe? Are the facts supported ? What does the other side of the argument say and is it supported?

Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Back
Top Bottom