NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. horsekeeper

horsekeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Middleburgh, NY
    There is a lot of information in this site and the internet about muscovies. They are a South American tree duck unrelated to farm duck breeds that are Mallard based. If you breed muscovies with other ducks the offspring are infertile mules. Muscovies are not as eager to swim as other breeds and are more of a shore bird. In the wild they lay their eggs in hollows in trees. They also fly way better than other ducks and can climb well with the clawed feet. You have to be careful when handling them because of the razor sharp claws. Even little ducklings can get you and it is like being clawed by a cat. Nevertheless, they have great personalities and seem way smarter than other ducks.

Here's Hunk the head drake:

[​IMG]

And Brownie, the first hen to hatch a surprise batch of ducklings. I didn't think the eggs were fertile [​IMG].

[​IMG]

Both are very friendly and wag their tails when they see me coming to visit their pen. They did well this winter outside in their small house with an enclosed run. A moderately sized rubber water pan kept them happy and was easy to break the ice out of. I feed them 16% chicken layer pellets. The ducklings are big enough to process at 8-10 weeks and the males are huge by 3-4 months.

When the babies were small I had to go away for a week for work and when I got home the babies in the picture had doubled in size.

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Storey's poulty breed book.

3. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    in the old timer circles and threads the Storey's books have a reputation for a ton of bad and wrong information.

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well now I don't know who these old timers are so I'll have to go with Storey's. I would think Storey's has done some research? I don't have time to research these things myself.

Quite frankly It doesn't matter as to whether or not I get ducks.

5. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    just passing along what I'm told. Thought that might be helpful information. Just because it was put in print does not mean it is accurate. Lots of stuff that makes the front page of BYC in their articles are seriously void of real world facts

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  6. mderby48

mderby48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    Hi everyone! Happy Friday! Does anyone have a white leghorn rooster they want to get rid of? I have 25 leghorn hens and would like a rooster or two so next year we can hatch our own chicks rather than buying them. Thanks in advance!

7. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    You're right it is Oct. 1. My first appointment is monday at just over 9 weeks along.

8. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    Going to call TSC today and see if they have any leghorns in. The few production girls we have are 2 years old now so we're looking to get a few younger white egg layers for the general layer flock.

The girls aren't meeting the demand right now with egg orders and us wanting to set another hatch. I don't want to wait any longer for spring. I'm ready right now.

9. Lapeerian

Lapeerian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Think we are heading to Cortland this morn to get some primer at Lowes. Make a stop at CM to pick up seed starter while it's on sale, then may just stop at TSC to take a look. Just look, must not bring any home. The chick pic Travis posted on FB is so tempting, those gold-blue cuckoo maran are cute and would add a dark egg layer to the flock.
    Our girls have been laying great, got little over 3 doz sitting in our fridge right now. And our sole customer said he would buy as many as we got. His hens are laying too, but he buys ours also to give to his grown children each week. Had egg salad sandwiches for lunch this week too, yummy.
    Spring can show up any time now. We had ideal temps for the sap to flow last week, but the ground is still too frozen. Maple producers need a good run this month, Maple Fest is April 13 & 14.

10. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Morning all. Mud firmed up last night with the cooler temps so I wasnt sinking as I made my way out to let everyone out this morning. I am sure that will change when it warms up some. I got 19 eggs yesterday [​IMG]from the girls, 5 of them being from the oldest divas. They must know my canning plans for them this spring! Delivering 2 dozen this morning to work. Egg sales have been brisk so my cheeps are keeping themselves in feed, scratch and pine shavings.

Incubators get set up and turned on tomorrow. I will be reading and rereading all the instructions to both and following them to the letter. I am hoping to have good hatches this year. Heritage rir eggs are coming this week and I have been collecting silkie eggs. I know the eggs from the terrorist pen are fertile as I see the bullseye when I crack them open for cooking and baking. I want to raise a couple of hatches and process them for future use. Hence the canning method. This way, if the power goes out, I dont have to worry about losing anything or cooking stuff. I will have ready to go chicken, already cooked.

Tab--congrats on number three. As a mom of three myself, it is a unique number with its own set of rules. Any more, its just another kid. Any less, they have each other. Anyways, may you have an easy and uneventful pregnancy.

I think if we are going to have a sequester, the first layoffs should be the 535 positions held in Congress along with our esteemed leader. Seems only fair in my opinion. Thats all I'm going to say.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by