NY chicken lover!!!!

What is the authors arguement? Where did their information come from? What do they want you to believe? Are the facts supported ? What does the other side of the argument say and is it supported?

A voice of reason...and more point on statements. This whole skewed take on certain theories presented as gospel facts to our school-aged kids in their classrooms and textbooks often has my husband and I grinding our teeth. Pharmchickrnmom for Prez !
wink.png

TOB

I've also noticed over the last few years that when someone disagree's with facts they call them opinions. Seems no one know's the difference between facts and opinion anymore.

Fact, my Sumatras are excellent broody's.

Opinion I find the hens cute as a button

Yet the 1st will be taken as opinion to many and the 2nd will be taken as a fact by many.

let's use one "for instance" as to a printed article being largely wrong information. BYC, front page a few weeks ago. Article written by someone who Googled all of their information. Or got it from BYC. No real world experience. She went on to make up charts then talk about Sumatra's which she does not own. According to her "article" (which got RAVE reviews from the sheep on BYC) Sumatra's are terrible egg layers (mine average 5 eggs each a week, many lay 6 days a week), they are not good broody's ( I know for certain this is completely FALSE) , they are terrible foragers ( so false I nearly had to wrap my head with duct tape to keep it from exploding
hmm.png
) and are incapable of sustaining cold weather ( a bunch of poop if I've ever heard a bunch of poop).
So I give a nice reply saying thanks for the article, but it is seriously void of facts and here is where it is wrong, as a Sumatra owner for many years. She attacked me, and then a bunch of newbies attacked me for DARING to correct mistakes and instead said I should compliment her on all of the hard work she put into this article.
Ok one more for instance. The storey's books tell us chickens and turkeys absolutely positively can not be raised together. According to them your chickens WILL die. No if's ands or buts about it. Yet the country is full of people who do just this. I know many who do both personally and online.

I learned everything I know about raising ducks by doing just that, raising ducks. Same with raising chickens. When I started out raising chickens I read everything on BYC and after a few years or raising chickens found out that most of the material in print online is seriously wrong. SO MUCH bad information out there.

So all I am saying is, and I'm sure you know this. Don't believe everything you read as gospel .

Sorry but I disagree. There is at least one thing I read that is Gospel. That said, there has been a lot of information I've read that has been very helpful. Also there are folks here on BYC who have also given me some sound advice. Which by the way is why I come here.

I can only relate my experiences, what others choose to do with it is up to them and I likewise. I'm mature enough not to get my knickers in a twist.

I will take issue with your comment on the "sheep on BYC". These people are my friends, many of them are very smart about a lot of things I am not. I don't consider even the newbies to be so gullible as to call them sheep. You shouldn't either.

I'm done with this subject.

take issue if you wish. Not directed to anyone on this thread at all. We all know the type's I'm refering to.

Feathers, great to hear on the mud!

Pharm, can't agree any more on any of it.

TSC in saratoga had meat chicks, production reds, 'black giants', assorted bantams and ducks. I think there was one more, but I'm not remembering now. :)
Cortland had the Cornish Rock meaties, Red Pullets (large bin very full), Black Giants (empty), assorted bantams (they were SOOOO CUTE!), ducks and two regular size bins of White Leghorns. Come home with none, as tempting as those little bantams were. Both little girl and I enjoyed looking at them.

Cortland had the Cornish Rock meaties, Red Pullets (large bin very full), Black Giants (empty), assorted bantams (they were SOOOO CUTE!), ducks and two regular size bins of White Leghorns. Come home with none, as tempting as those little bantams were. Both little girl and I enjoyed looking at them.
The multiple stores near us had sexlinks, meaties, and ducks. No leghorns, I was disappointed.

Last weekend we had 34 of 56 eggs we set hatch. With 3 that didn't make it. Some of the first eggs collected for this batch had been cold, but overall I'm satisfied with our birds fertility.
Going to set another batch tomorrow. This batch we're going to concentrate on the blue silver ameraucana with some dels and OE (attempting to get a NN frizzle OE). Last batch was mostly marans of which a good portion look to be blue golden cuckoo.

Last weekend we had 34 of 56 eggs we set hatch.  With 3 that didn't make it.  Some of the first eggs collected for this batch had been cold, but overall I'm satisfied with our birds fertility.
Going to set another batch tomorrow.  This batch we're going to concentrate on the blue silver ameraucana with some dels and OE (attempting to get a NN frizzle OE).  Last batch was mostly marans of which a good portion look to be blue golden cuckoo.

Are the inlaws going to visit soon? Could foster some leghorns for a bit then send them your way if they are.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom