NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I've also noticed over the last few years that when someone disagree's with facts they call them opinions. Seems no one know's the difference between facts and opinion anymore.

Fact, my Sumatras are excellent broody's.

Opinion I find the hens cute as a button

Yet the 1st will be taken as opinion to many and the 2nd will be taken as a fact by many.

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Didn't end up doing a cleanout today - added some PDZ and shavings and all is well in the chicken world. Most of the mud is firmed up. Woohoo!!!

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Sorry but I disagree. There is at least one thing I read that is Gospel. That said, there has been a lot of information I've read that has been very helpful. Also there are folks here on BYC who have also given me some sound advice. Which by the way is why I come here.

I can only relate my experiences, what others choose to do with it is up to them and I likewise. I'm mature enough not to get my knickers in a twist.

I will take issue with your comment on the "sheep on BYC". These people are my friends, many of them are very smart about a lot of things I am not. I don't consider even the newbies to be so gullible as to call them sheep. You shouldn't either.

I'm done with this subject.

4. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    take issue if you wish. Not directed to anyone on this thread at all. We all know the type's I'm refering to.

Feathers, great to hear on the mud!

Pharm, can't agree any more on any of it.

5. Lapeerian

Lapeerian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Cortland had the Cornish Rock meaties, Red Pullets (large bin very full), Black Giants (empty), assorted bantams (they were SOOOO CUTE!), ducks and two regular size bins of White Leghorns. Come home with none, as tempting as those little bantams were. Both little girl and I enjoyed looking at them.

6. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    The multiple stores near us had sexlinks, meaties, and ducks. No leghorns, I was disappointed.

7. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    Last weekend we had 34 of 56 eggs we set hatch. With 3 that didn't make it. Some of the first eggs collected for this batch had been cold, but overall I'm satisfied with our birds fertility.
    Going to set another batch tomorrow. This batch we're going to concentrate on the blue silver ameraucana with some dels and OE (attempting to get a NN frizzle OE). Last batch was mostly marans of which a good portion look to be blue golden cuckoo.

8. mderby48

mderby48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    If you want leghorns the TSC in Pulaski has str. run. Also Deatons agway in Pulaski has al LH pullets. I know it's a little far but thought I would let you know.

9. Lapeerian

Lapeerian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Are the inlaws going to visit soon? Could foster some leghorns for a bit then send them your way if they are.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Yeah, I resisted also. Supposed to be getting eggs tonight from county boy and I still have a couple of NN chicks in the house that need to go outside when there's room. Might be bringing some chickens to the schuylerville auction next w/e or the w/e after that to make room for the newbies! =) (I'd put them up on CL but had some bad luck recently there with flakes and crazies so I'm gun shy).

I wish we could just get ONE day where I don't have my entire yard covered with snow. Thought it would be today but got more snow last night.. bah. Oh, and our maple trees aren't giving it up yet - a gentleman at work yesterday said we needed to be colder at night? Hope we didn't miss out.

My girls enjoying the 'tree' in the run. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by