NY chicken lover!!!!

It's so nice to see we have alot of local chicken folks!! I live in Spencer NY, south of Ithaca. I have alittle of everything: RIR's, BO's, a few Golden Comets, one BR, some silkies & one pair of Mille's.
I LOVE standard cochins, don't care what color, cause they are such nice broodie's.
Anyone ever wants to split a chicken or turkey order with me, just give me a holler!!

I would be interested in splitting a turkey order come springtime possibley, keep me on ur mind! Have you ever heard of the bath poultry auction? we went for the first time this past fall and got some great additions to our flock! Theyll be having another one come May

i haven't heard of the bath auction.. i am about 15 min from the state fair grounds. but chickens aren't cheap there.. seems that large co. bid on them to help support the 4-h and other clubs there so they pay high for them. i am new to chickens only have red sex-link hens and rir roos

peggym -

i'm about 24 miles south of ithaca! well actually it'd be more like west, i'm on the west side of seneca lake!
smile.png

Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif

ps, this site is great!!!!

I knew that there had to be an auction somewhere around here, but I never suspected Bath! I will have to keep that in mind. I believe that there are livestock auctions "just up the road" from me, in the Penn Yan area, but I have yet to confirm that and don't know if poultry would be included. I intend to find out though... I, too, may be interested in splitting orders and doing some trades, although my groups is yet to lay anything!!

Hello from Newburgh, in Orange County, NY!
frow.gif
Its a freezing 20 degrees here this morning! Thats actually a little warmer than its been! How is everyone holding up with this weather?

wow!!!!!!!!!!! Look at all of us underground chicken people in NY! My DH and I went to the Bath poultry auction (about an hour for us) this past fall and had sooooo much fun and we got some great deal! Maybe it's different at the spring show bc everyone wants chicks? I'm not sure, all I know is I will be there for sure again this year, I think its on Sat May 8th this year but you can do a search on this page to find links to it closer to the date, thats how I found out about it. We went in our car (1st mistake) and only expected the auction to last a few hours (2nd mistake). We wound up staying over 8 hours and bringing home in my 2 door car a : Bourbon Red Tom approx 6 months old for about 10$, 4 peafowl approx 1-2 months old for about 8$ each, like 8 cuckoo maran chicks approx 4 weeks old 2$ a piece and other odd assortments of chickens and roosters. I was looking for a cuckoo maran roo and I bought one there for 2$ he's gorgeous, then I wound up with 1 roo in the set of chicks I bought (if anyone wants a cuckoo maran roo I have an extra, he's very nice but I only need one to breed).

Some stuff went way high (other Bourbon Reds went for crazy high prices 40-65$ a piece) but as a whole I thought prices were great this fall, plus I was able to buy one or two of something I wanted but didn't want to buy 25 of through a catalog and raise from babies. You do have to be careful tho because some obviuosly looked sick, so you do take your chances there.

I also have heard of livestock auctions up bath way, buy have only happened upon one on a saturday drive in that area and it was almost done by the time we got there. I'll have to ask DH where it was, it was north of Penn Yann on that main road there (great with directions huh?)

I have pairs of Blue Cochins, Silver Laced Wyandottes and Cuckoo Marans that I plan on seperating this spring to gather eggs from, is anyone is interested come spring, PM me. I work in Hornell and Rochester and my DH works outside Bath, we got to auctions in Penn Yann on Saturdays alot and I'm sure we could always arrange to drop off either fertile eggs or chicks when I have them. I have high hopes this spring of having a few of my Hens brood eggs for me, I have a partidge cochin that wanted to set really bad this fall but I was done with chicks by that point!

I have 3 heatlamps in my coop right now bc it's sooooo cold here. I lost 3 peafowl over a one week period before xmas with the extreme weather and am very sad about that, the remaining one is doing great though, he's pure white. My neighbors gave me about 20 lbs of pork fat I'm going to mix with some hot oatmeal as a treat and have been taking out warm water a few times a day to help them out. I also bought some kitty food to give them as a treat during the cold blast. STAY WARM EVERYONE and KEEP IN TOUCH COME SPRING! What fun!!!!

Well, tajmahal, I am pretty sure that you meant Route 14A, but thought that it was south of Penn Yan. I drive that way quite often (will be doing it again this Wednesday, in fact), so I will have to keep an eye out for anyone that may be interested and over in this area.

I will, much to the dismay of the dh, be looking for some Silver Laced Wyandottes this spring, so I will be sure to keep your information close, to see if you have anything available. I do think that I may be giving up on hatching my own until I can spend more on a better incubator though. I have eggs in now that I am having a very, very hard time with and I am starting to think that the whole thing will be a wash. It stinks, as they were Runner Duck eggs that were a gift for my 9yo son.
sad.png

Anyhow, I hope everyone is able to keep their little feathered friends warm for the next few weeks!! Take care!

Back
Top Bottom