NY chicken lover!!!!

Hawks are crazy around here. I only let my birds out if I'm outside doing something. Stupid hawks always scream and announce themselves, the gun is never too far away.
Same here!!! Well except for the gun part. We have turkey vultures flying around here I think. Those things are huge!! They scare me but I can't have guns out with a two year old running around
hu.gif

Remember It is illegal to Kill Hawks & Birds of Prey ...

Last edited:

Love that video. Seen it before but had to watch again. Thanks!

New guy here from New Haven,NY. Twenty Buff Orps from HinkJC out in brooder in our old milkhouse. Adding 20 RC RIR from Dick Horstman that are coming first week of June. Have a 10 x 16 secure pen built in our (formerly) freestall barn and am sawing hemlock now for a new coop with a secure run as free ranging on our farm would be  a chicken feast for all sorts of predators I'm afraid. Just wanted to say Hi to other NY folks and say Thank You to all the members that give so much info. I lurked here for about a year studying in spare time before deciding it was time to jump in with both feet. Will be a big change from twenty years ago when I was introduced to my father in law's barnyard full of half-feral games.

Welcome!

Out of 23 eggs 7 are developing. :(  Guess I should be happy with what I've got. That's the last time I spend $$$ on hatching eggs. This happened the last time I got eggs shipped to me, half never reattached their air cells and those never developed. I really hope these 7 hatch so I can at least say I got my moneys worth.

Sounds like u did everything right. CA is a long way for eggs to come from. I had eggs shipped from LA & only 3 hatched out of 30 shipped (including replacements). Some in my bator now which shipped from PA, double boxed, lots if bubble wrap, and I picked them up at the PO rather than out for delivery. 13 of 15 developing. Who knows, shipped eggs r tough. Thank goodness for chicken stock eggs!

I keep forgetting to take pics of my new chicks ... Heres our new ducks Tippy , Dippy , And Nippy or Zippy ..they are so cute . Did you ever catch that duck ?
Aww cute! What kind are they? Nope, that duck is long gone! Just asked my neighbor yesterday if he had seen him and he said No. Now I'm trying to rehome this other extra that I was able to catch :-/

Speaking of eggs: anyone interested in guinea eggs? Big French guineas, pearl colored. 14 eggs available. A couple weeks B4 chickenstock, I asked a friend who has 5 guineas if she had any eggs from them bc it sounded like there were a few people looking for guinea eggs. Well, she did not find their nest until the day after chickenstock. She brought me 14 today. I gave her 3 dozen chx eggs for them. $5 & they're yours. I'm just outside of Watkins Glen, will be in Corning tomorrow, & elmira on tues. Or I can send them w my husband to Penn Yan on tues. Pm me if ur interested. Thx.

sounds like we are both in over our heads lol.... im thinking (hoping) that whatever we don't need I can sell at the swap. last Sunday was my first time there. is it usually on Sundays? if so that's probably why we have never made it :/ my hubby is a worship drummer in our church and im a youth leader. so its rare we have a Sunday off. with so many baby's growing up ill have to figure something out.....

I believe that they are generally on Sundays.

Tomorrow is moving day - my chicks will go outside into the chicken tractor =). I am so excited and can't wait ti watch them explore their new territory. Also on tomorrows list is buying more feed, start the first fermented batch and get some grit. Then once they are out of the "nest" I will have to clean my now very dust garage.
So much other cleaning to do also I could use 6 hands and 2 heads =).

Back
Top Bottom