NY chicken lover!!!!

Went to lock up last night and was worried something got into my run and trying to get my birds...

Apparently Ella is going thru a molt, can't really tell on her yet other than when she walks around she drops feathers like a flower girl dropping petals down the aisle at a wedding! Took those pics this morning but man it sure did scare me yesterday when I got there.

Hello New York
I am from the Albany area and am looking to buy hens. I am new at this and fearful of tending chicks. I have a large coop that I have spent a year working on and am still doing the run. I am looking for Buff Orpingtons, Lavendar Marans, Delawares, Welsummers.... I thought I wanted Rhode Island, but I just had a baby and was advised by someone here not to get them. I know about the mixing of flocks, or at least have read up on it.
Thanks!

Earl is starting to look lees naked, and is crowing more, but it looks like it is time for the barred rocks to lose their feathers, as they are scattered everywhere all of a sudden. I like your phrase about dropping feathers like a flower girl at a wedding, Lynzi, so poetic.

My dog Bella is acting out. She got into our 25 pound bag of rice and ate a good deal, and somehow got it all over the house. There has been a lot of vacuuming to get rid of the rice even up the stairs. Then she came in from her before bed trip outside with a large cabbage stem and core from the compost. Heaven only knows what else she sampled in the compost. Grrrrr.

Went to a "chicken seminar" tonight at the local feed store. Mostly stuff we already know, but still a good reminder. Speaker was from Wisconsin and really good. Hosted by Nutrena, so feed was on sale. Picking up whatever feed I can find on sale now. Tonight was Buy One -Get One Free, so end up with 4 bags of Gamebird with 21% protein. I'll mix it with the layer feed, but the higher protein will be good through molt and condition before winter. They had Feather Fixer at 18% with the mite fighter stuff, but it still worked out more expensive being a 40# bag.

Same here. Stocking up for winter. If it's recently made it should hold in the cold garage I would think.

Where do you shop? Not sure TSC or CM will have such a deal. Otherwise I'd really stock up.

Hello New York
I am from the Albany area and am looking to buy hens. I am new at this and fearful of tending chicks. I have a large coop that I have spent a year working on and am still doing the run. I am looking for Buff Orpingtons, Lavendar Marans, Delawares, Welsummers.... I thought I wanted Rhode Island, but I just had a baby and was advised by someone here not to get them. I know about the mixing of flocks, or at least have read up on it.
Thanks!

Welcome to the coop. I don't think I've seen Lavender marans. The others of course. As for RIR's I wouldn't find them any more trouble than other breeds. If you buy them from a heritage breeder and keep no roosters.

Hatcheries can supply you of course but you're likely to get poor quality stock.

I wish you well,

Rancher

Hello New York
Thanks!

Huh? I would love to know what Rhode Island's have that every other chicken in the world doesn't have. And are your chickens going to have access to your baby?

I hope what you read about mixing flocks told you to go for it....unless you want to sell pure bred eggs a mixed flock is a delight.

Huh? I would love to know what Rhode Island's have that every other chicken in the world doesn't have. And are your chickens going to have access to your baby?

I hope what you read about mixing flocks told you to go for it....unless you want to sell pure bred eggs a mixed flock is a delight.

I'm curious now too...What does having a baby have to do with what kind of breeds you raise?

Hello New York
Thanks!

Welcome! Unfortunately the only hens that I'm willing to part with are mixed breeds and maybe my Partridge rocks sorry I can't help! However, I do live right outside of Albany as well so if you need help with anything let me know! Also, I don't know why someone would advise you not to get Rhode Island Reds...

I live outside of Kingston ny and I have Rhode Island Reds. I love my chickens, they will eat right out my hand. I never had problem with them. I chose Rhode Island Reds only because I was told that you get more hens. More hens more eggs! Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom