NY chicken lover!!!!

Hello New York
I am from the Albany area and am looking to buy hens. I am new at this and fearful of tending chicks. I have a large coop that I have spent a year working on and am still doing the run. I am looking for Buff Orpingtons, Lavendar Marans, Delawares, Welsummers.... I thought I wanted Rhode Island, but I just had a baby and was advised by someone here not to get them. I know about the mixing of flocks, or at least have read up on it.
Thanks!
Civil War recreator? They do that a lot near me in Peterboro. Do you ever go up there?

I have black Copper Marans, I only know of one person that has Lavender Marans, and she isn't selling yet.

I go occasionally to Troy for grandsons swim meets at RPI.

Good luck finding your hens.

Same here.  Stocking up for winter.  If it's recently made it should hold in the cold garage I would think. 

Where do you shop?  Not sure TSC or CM will have such a deal.  Otherwise I'd really stock up. 

Normally I get feed at CM, but the recent sales were at a small hometown store, Lilley's Tack & Feed in Dryden. I have an extra large tote in the barn, fits 4 bags. Plus 2 bags in each of the 2 feed barrels. Might have an extra bag or 2 sitting out in the tack room, but recently cleaned that out completely, blocked the mouse hole and set out some poison pellets in a hidden spot. Mice were living in the hollow wall, chickens can't get to them.

Hello everyone! I haven't been on in a while since things have been crazy. Work has hit the beginnings of the busy season and college started back up so I am slammed! Everything is going well, though, and I find myself with too many roosters for my hens but no desire to part with the roosters! I guess that's as good an excuse as any to get more pullets :rolleyes: Hope I didn't miss anything too exciting!

Normally I get feed at CM, but the recent sales were at a small hometown store, Lilley's Tack & Feed in Dryden. I have an extra large tote in the barn, fits 4 bags. Plus 2 bags in each of the 2 feed barrels. Might have an extra bag or 2 sitting out in the tack room, but recently cleaned that out completely, blocked the mouse hole and set out some poison pellets in a hidden spot. Mice were living in the hollow wall, chickens can't get to them.
We were discussing poison on another thread. I said I don't use it because it doesn't kill immediately and the cat or others might find it and eat it. I did the research on it too. Seems rodents poisoned get eaten by Fox, Coyote and birds of prey. They've found traces of it in these animals and figure it's due to use by humans.

Hope you have no problem with your chickens. I prefer traps. This way I know I've got the culprit.

Also my brother who had pigeons taught me to not use plastic trash cans for feed since plastic sweats. I only use metal cans.

00B0B_iDM1bYiAHVg_600x450.jpg

Only $5 each. What a deal. NOT!

We were discussing poison on another thread. I said I don't use it because it doesn't kill immediately and the cat or others might find it and eat it. I did the research on it too.  Seems rodents poisoned get eaten by Fox, Coyote and birds of prey.  They've found traces of it in these animals and figure it's due to use by humans. 

Hope you have no problem with your chickens.  I prefer traps.  This way I know I've got the culprit.  

Also my brother who had pigeons taught me to not use plastic trash cans for feed since plastic sweats. I only use metal cans. 

I don't like using poison, but resorted to it when rats were undermining the cement floors in the barn. And burrowing in the hay. And mice in the hollows walls now. My chickens haven't bothered any of the dead rats that showed up. I have seen a stray cat hanging around and stalking my chickens, so don't care if he ends up with a mouse.

I don't like using poison, but resorted to it when rats were undermining the cement floors in the barn. And burrowing in the hay. And mice in the hollows walls now. My chickens haven't bothered any of the dead rats that showed up. I have seen a stray cat hanging around and stalking my chickens, so don't care if he ends up with a mouse.
That may be, but you'll end up poisoning the poor cat.

There are a number of easy to set traps out there. While a bit pricey these are very easy to set.

images

Last edited:
Oh my, so many replies!! Thank you! I believe the thought was that the Rhode Islands may harm the baby, who will be toddling by the time I finally get this project going! And yes, he will grow up around them because when we are outside, they will be free to roam the yards. I don't think the person meant that they are particularly evil, just a more aggressive and maybe protective breed? Anyway, I have just been looking at many breeds and hope to find some lovely ones with nice eggs. I eventually would like to brood some of my better hens. I would absolutely love to get pointers from you locals, maybe even visit your coops so you could show me some of your tricks of the trade?

We were discussing poison on another thread. I said I don't use it because it doesn't kill immediately and the cat or others might find it and eat it. I did the research on it too. Seems rodents poisoned get eaten by Fox, Coyote and birds of prey. They've found traces of it in these animals and figure it's due to use by humans.

Hope you have no problem with your chickens. I prefer traps. This way I know I've got the culprit.

In the 1800's, the United States government gave arsenic to the Native Americans and told them that if they put it on the meat and left it for the wolves, there would be Buffalo again. They did. It killed wolves, fox, coyotes, hawks, eagles, bear, and Native Americans. I suggest going to the pound and getting some more cats. Then let them burrow in the hay.

Back
Top Bottom