NY chicken lover!!!!

Hello!
I live in East Aurora, outside of Buffalo.
Apparently I have a Delaware rooster and was wondering if anyone local would like to trade for a hen. He is about 15 weeks old, healthy and very docile. He takes great care of my three pullets.

I hate to have to get rid of him, but I am not allowed roosters where I live. Please let me know if you are interested!

Hello!
I live in East Aurora, outside of Buffalo.
Apparently I have a Delaware rooster and was wondering if anyone local would like to trade for a hen. He is about 15 weeks old, healthy and very docile. He takes great care of my three pullets.

I hate to have to get rid of him, but I am not allowed roosters where I live. Please let me know if you are interested!
Have you seen these rooster collars ?
http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/chickens/No-Crow-Rooster-Collar-p1580.aspx

I tested the theory about unrefrigerated eggs being safe to eat .
Found 2 eggs in my yard the other day ...washed them off ..
Had them for breakfast yesterday ....the one that looked older had less taste ( probably tasted like store bought )
The other one tasted normal ...No BAD Effects from them

2 More ticks on my cat ...Boy was he ticked off to be held down & de ticked ..

So hard to get those suckers off..I actually popped one with a tweezer ..
Totally Gross
I bought a tick twister on ebay for 5..49
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261535045563?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I find it easier to just get hold of the tick as near to the skin as possible and pinch my finger tips together gently and then pull straight out. The animals tolerate that better than tweezers. For the most part, all of the tick is removed by this method. There is also a 'tick scoop' which is used for people and it can be used on animals - about $3 at a pharmacy...
smile.png

I tested the theory about unrefrigerated eggs being safe to eat .
Found 2 eggs in my yard the other day ...washed them off ..
Had them for breakfast yesterday ....the one that looked older had less taste ( probably tasted like store bought )
The other one tasted normal ...No BAD Effects from them

Grandma I never put my eggs in the fridge they are just in a carton in my kitchen cupboard. I keep them like that till they are eaten or sold. I don't wash them till I'm ready to use them. The bloom on them helps keep them fresh. I've never had I'll effects from this.

Got woken up at 3am this morning to a raccoon out on the porch - the dogs were going crazy, cats were growling. Anyway, no big deal I think he'll wander off. Oh no!! This one wanted to 'nest' in the wood box, unafraid of me but growling at the same time - yikes!! Since he seemed to be behaving strangely, I decided to 'off' him
sad.png
. Hated to do it, but couldn't have him hanging around possibly rabid........... Why do they look so cute and cuddly?? I know how destructive they can be, especially when they are sick. After talking with the neighbor, she said they had found a dead 'coon in the yard - no apparent cause of death......hope that's the last one
fl.gif

Well now something got into the run and opened a jug of feed. Since the top was unchewed I figure a coon. In either case I left it a peanut butter surprise sandwich in a pie dish on top of the run. It was all gone this am.

This has been going on and I thought it was just squirrels but I'm not sure now. I'm running out of jugs to put feed in.

Got snow last evening. I expect everyone did.

Last edited:
Morning Everyone,
Haven't posted in a while, been busy with a little opportunity I came across and I'm doing everything in my power to make it happen.
wink.png
DH and I were on the subject on dogs again a month or two ago and we have always said that our next dog would be a Great Dane. Since we're looking to buy a house of our own next summer, I of course started looking. I came across a breeder not too far from me and she actually has one pup left that was suppose to go to a show home but the woman backed out two weeks ago after asking the breeder if she could hold onto him until he was 3 mos old. She did and when 3 months came the woman who wanted him informed her that her working from home arrangement with her company wasn't going to be as often at home as she would like and therefore doesn't want to take in a dog that will be stuck in a crate all day. So this pup is 4 months old, house trained already, crate trained and I actually went to see him yesterday. So calm and mellow, didn't even attempt to jump on me. The mom was out when I came in. She just walked over to me, stuck her nose right up to my chin and walked away. Of course she was my best friend the minute I sat down and all she wanted was to be petted. Not over bearing tho at all. Some larger dogs just really push and push for attention, not these two. If I stopped petting them they just sat that, calm cool and collective. I am so in love with them. So we're going to get the pup. I'm going back to get him Friday. I need to go shopping this week for some things.

On the chicken front, no more attacks so I'm thinking of the loss of that blue sizzle was in fact a rooster fight. I keep seeing feathers all over the place when I go to lock up at night and it's driving me crazy. Are the roosters fighting? Are birds molting? Have I mentioned yet that I HATE not having them in my own backyard. You know what's so funny too is my landlord actually mentions all the time why not just put them right over there (as he points to the back corner of the yard when he's been here the last few times) and I actually have to remind him that they are just simply not allowed in the lake communities. And he agrees that it is just so bogus. So here I am living in a house yet again where another landlord would actually allow me to have them here but I can't because of these stupid lake community rules. Anywho, I still only have one egg layer - one of my Silkie/Polish cross girls. They've been on feather fixer for over a week now tho and I already see a big difference in Ella my blue Orp who was molting and Little Fella, her son who was getting picked on when we first came here. he's got little tail feathers coming in now, his neck feathers are in again after getting them picked out by the others, and he's about 3/4 the size of Stella already!! My lights seems to be working perfectly so hopefully Stella will pick up laying soon and maybe I can hatch some her eggs, although I don't think Kota, the new Spash roo has attempted to mate with anyone yet. Usually when I let them out the morning Elvis is the first to run to the ladies and do his little dance. Kota main concern is finding the water. As you can see from this morning, he wouldn't even let me finish filling the bucket up.

Well I hope all is well with everyone and their cheeps!! Oh! And if anyone is looking for Seramas or know of anyone who is. My friend has like 6 she is looking to part with. She thought it was a breed she wanted to add but she just doesn't like them at all. If anyone wants more info feel free to PM me.
smile.png

Thanks everyone for your condolences on Stella's death :(
Unfortunately it seems to be some sort of disease or illness running through the flock. I haven't lost anymore yet but I have a few more that are standing around looking sluggish and some green poops. They aren't egg bound, they don't have crop problems, I haven't seen any mites or lice so I'm just at a loss...I'm going to take a stool sample to the vet and most likely try worming them.

Has anyone sent a bird for a necropsy? Where did you send it?

Back
Top Bottom