NY chicken lover!!!!

So that's a few of the month Olds. Do any of you have any ideas?

Do you mean breed ideas? If so I've got some. First picture with the chick's head behind the log, does it have a crest? If so gold laced polish. Second picture the black one with the crest is a white crested black polish. Third picture there are two buff laced polish with some barred rocks or dominiques depending on comb type, can't see enough of the solid black chicks to tell what they are. Fourth the top white chick with feathered legs is a light brahma, can't see enough of the other chicks to make a guess.

Last edited:
Do you mean breed ideas? If so I've got some. First picture with the chick's head behind the log, does it have a crest? If so gold laced polish. Second picture the black one with the crest is a white crested black polish. Third picture there are two buff laced polish with some barred rocks or dominiques depending on comb type, can't see enough of the solid black chicks to tell what they are. Fourth the top white chick with feathered legs is a light brahma, can't see enough of the other chicks to make a guess.
Guess I have a few (more like 20) polish of sorted types. The light brahma is one more off my list of wants. I will pull up the barred rocks and the Dominique and see what the comb says. Thank you.

@Lapeerian, I am in the northeastern Adirondacks, on the Vermont border and just over an hour to the Canadian border. Cortland is about a 4 hour drive from my house.

Pyxis and a couple others are on the VT border, so someone can help you out.

Yep, Metella and I are probably closer to you than most in this thread. If you're looking for a rooster I have some I could rehome.

[/IMG]

This one looks like a Cream Brabanter, but if not is likely a Polish. Many of the fluffy headed chicks look like Polish- especially the black and white one. The white with bits of black in the last picture looks like Delaware.

I'm sure someone here could help me out. I'm looking for a chicken saddle, and I thought someone local on here made them. I would prefer to help out another small business than to go straight to eBay.

Thanks,
Dave

try Rancher hicks. I think his wife makes them.
Sorry she does sew but doesn't make saddles. In times past when I had hens with bare backs, I just gave them away. It's not something I want to deal with. Most of my hens do okay with the roosters I have. If I have an overly aggressive roo, he goes too.

I tried those No pick sprays but they were NO WORK sprays. I do use Blue Kote, though it is messy. I find that some breeds do not do well together. Others are extremely racist for lack of a better term.

Too reevaluate your space. To many birds scrammed together can be a problem. I think the bare backs I was getting were due to other hens picking, not the rooster wanting to dance to much.

I started with 8 breeds three of each. The SLW's and GLW;s and the Aussies did not do well with the C. Marans, Dels, Buffs, Frizzles, and Dominiques. Once they there gone, everyone was fine. Some say it's a lack of protein. I feed a high protein feed. 16% is good for commercial birds but not Heritage lines. Keep in mind others have their methods and what works for them is fine too. You have to find your groove.

Now I did get some SLW's but had them with the B. Marans and they did good. Though they weren't good layers.

I let my birds out as early as possible. Even in the winter they are let out, never left in the coop.

I wish you well,

Rancher

My broody mama hen is mean. She's attacked me three times. I'm thinking I have to take away her babies. I've pinned her down and handled the babies to try to prevent the chicks from turning mean. Any tips?

Back
Top Bottom