NY chicken lover!!!!

My first chicks of Marans had roosters with curled toes. So too the SFH 's that were sent. If they can walk without trouble you could raise them up to eat. Perhaps even breed as it seems to me curled toes are a hatching problem rather than genetic.  Sad as it is, I've rarely had a chick I've helped out of the egg not have leg or feet problems. I just cant' bring my self to do them in or let them die a slow death. 

Not that you helped yours out. You don't say why they have curled toes.  Where did you get them. 

These ones are tractor supply. I'd like to try to help them first if I can. I've hatched a bunch of my own chicks and have never had feet problems. I'm relieved it's not a genetic. I may keep him for a breeding season because he is very pretty. I'm going to try to tape them and see if it helps. Poor guy can't sit on the roosting bar bUT he seems to walk and run fine.

Is anyone NPIP certified? Can someone explain to me what I have to do to get the certification as well as what does having it do for me? I'm thinking about trying to get the certification. But I wanna know what I'll have to do to get it and what it's purpose is.

NPIP is easy to get. Go to NY Ag & Markets online & there is a form u can fill out. They will call to set up an appointment to see your birds. They test for pylorum and check to see your facility is clean. Technically you are supposed to be NPIP cert to ship eggs & chicks, but most PO staff don't know to check. Some of your potential customers will look for NPIP sellers. If you show, being NPIP cert covers the health testing they require. The challenge is in staying compliant bc U need to buy eggs, chicks, of adults only from other NPIP breeders. Free to be tested tho. My Ag & Markets rep is due to come out in May.

Anyone "need" any blue chickens? I had a successful test hatch & most of what hatched are blue spitzhaubens
1f601.png

Also some blue Swedish which are pretty fun:

We ordered some baby chicks in the mail. They shipped yesterday and were supposed to arrive by 3:00 pm today. The local post office has no idea where they are. The tracking has them leaving a shipping facility last night at 7:00 pm. They are a birthday present for my daughter, and I just had to tell her that they may be sick or dead when they arrive. Praying they arrive tomorrow in good shape! But being realistic about the odds....

We ordered some baby chicks in the mail. They shipped yesterday and were supposed to arrive by 3:00 pm today. The local post office has no idea where they are. The tracking has them leaving a shipping facility last night at 7:00 pm. They are a birthday present for my daughter, and I just had to tell her that they may be sick or dead when they arrive. Praying they arrive tomorrow in good shape! But being realistic about the odds....

I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you had them shipped priority express, they won't be in until tomorrow or maybe the next day. The weather is mild currently so they have a good chance especially if you ordered at least 15.

Back
Top Bottom