NY chicken lover!!!!

Howdy from southern NY. I'm from Long Island and plan on getting chickens in the near future. Just doing some research before diving right in. Our town is a bit tight with ordinances. They allow a maximum of 6 hens, roosters are with special permits only I believe. This suits me fine since I'm new at this and planned on starting with 4 hens. I'll keep digging through the site, hopefully find all the answers I'm looking for. Just wanted to introduce myself.  

Welcome!

Wah! My best roo Pugley (son of the O-so wonderful but ugly Gomez) just met his end the same as his daddy, taking one for the team and defending the ladies..

Anyone near-ish Saratoga have NN eggs? I am collecting eggs from my girls to see if I can get Son Of Pugsley like I did for Gomez.. Wish me luck!

So sorry for your loss.

I built this one. Not a removable bottom, but still easy enough to clean.

Anybody have some good ideas for a brooder to keep in the house. I wanna build it though. I got a bunch of scrap wood here at work that I'll grab if I can come up with a fairly simple design. I want it to be easy to clean though and have plenty of room. I was hoping to come up with a bottom that detached from the rest of the brooder

Are they too Hot ? Do you have them inside the house and at 80-90 degrees ?

They are 4.5 weeks old now and dont need 80-90 anymore.... Actually they hate the heat lamo on even at night now. Figured that out couple nughts ago when they were loud as hell. They had food and water. I shut the heat lamp off and they were content as could be. Lol. So no more heat lamp. Room temp is happy for them. I took them outside earlier this week for first time and they were nervous. Trailed behind me like lost puppies. They even found worms and acted like they were playing football running and tackling for the worm. 2 are still runts. One i named pretty girl is still not much bigger than when we got her but is eating well feathering out and such. She loves to cuddle with me... She is lnly one who didnt like being outside....so she hung out in my hoodie while rest checked things out. Other runt is growing but still only half the size of the bigger chicks. Idk if ill be able to put pretty girl outside with others when we get coop built. None of the chicks have figured out the watering cups yet so still stuck using the small chick waterer. So i have to fill it several times a day. As for our ducklings... They are doing well. They are all 7 growing superfast. The 3 pekins are now bigger than the 4 khakis. The pekins are almost as big as my chicks and yet they are 3 weeks younger. One has a deformity with its one eye. One is normal. Other is super tiny and doesnt appear to have an eyelid. Been using microcyn ah cuz it looked like it was getting infected. That ducklings name is gimpy pirate. Once the chicks go outside we will be getting a couple frizzles from a local breeder to add to the flock. That will make a total of 6 rhodes 6 hybrids 3 americanas 4 khakis 3 penkins and 3 frizzles. So 25 birds. Only problem is the frizzles will be straight run so hopefully we wont have males but who knows. (We dont want roosters at this point) is there a new york duckling thread? Sorry so long of a post.

Well my Sand Hill experience isn't going so great so far. They didn't ship my waterfowl out on Tuesday so I guess I hope they go out next week.

Well my Sand Hill experience isn't going so great so far. They didn't ship my waterfowl out on Tuesday so I guess I hope they go out next week.

Call them ans see whats up. I used hoovers for my chicks. They were ok but at moment not impressed cuz they said they were issueing me a refund for my two runts....that was a week ago

Call them ans see whats up. I used hoovers for my chicks. They were ok but at moment not impressed cuz they said they were issueing me a refund for my two runts....that was a week ago

Sand Hill's not really a hatchery and they don't do communication well. They will only call you if your birds ship, they won't call you if they don't. I could call, but they only take calls during a certain time period of two hours on two specific days a week. And they even stop doing that once they really get into the swing of hatching. So I'm just gonna wait because the next time I could call them would be Monday anyway.

Sand Hill's not really a hatchery and they don't do communication well. They will only call you if your birds ship, they won't call you if they don't. I could call, but they only take calls during a certain time period of two hours on two specific days a week. And they even stop doing that once they really get into the swing of hatching. So I'm just gonna wait because the next time I could call them would be Monday anyway.

They, his wife, answered every one of my calls, on the two days, in the two hr window, every time. Very pleasant woman.
I did get less than half the chicks I ordered, got the one's I really wanted anyway, and got the other more than half I didn't order as free packing peanuts, all around 10 weeks past when they said I'd get them.

Let us know how it ends up, cause I've thought of ordering from them again.
All said and done, I wouldn't give them a good review cause of my experience but don't give them a bad one either cause I did get the chicks I wanted and free one's, and they lay out how they do business in plain English in their catalog and online.

Edit; they probably get more busy with their seeds and plantings than with the hatching. I can't even imagine how they do it all and I believe still have full time job teaching.

Last edited:
They, his wife, answered every one of my calls, on the two days, in the two hr window, every time. Very pleasant woman.
I did get less than half the chicks I ordered, got the one's I really wanted anyway, and got the other more than half I didn't order as free packing peanuts, all around 10 weeks past when they said I'd get them.

Let us know how it ends up, cause I've thought of ordering from them again.
All said and done, I wouldn't give them a good review cause of my experience but don't give them a bad one either cause I did get the chicks I wanted and free one's, and they lay out how they do business in plain English in their catalog and online.

Edit; they probably get more busy with their seeds and plantings than with the hatching. I can't even imagine how they do it all and I believe still have full time job teaching.

I'll let you know. I'm not mad they didn't contact me because it was clear that they wouldn't from their website. I'm just a little bummed my order didn't ship because all that I ordered that they specifically had to send was four goslings. I told them they could sub on the ducklings. It wasn't a large order either, just ten birds. I had plans to take those goslings to a speaking event I'm doing on Friday to teach people about poultry and their proper care and I'm just a little sad that I won't have them for that now.

So now I'm trying to hunt up some kind of waterfowl to take and I'm thinking I'm going to have to buy six ducklings from TSC that I don't really want and then try to sell them off after the event.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom