NY chicken lover!!!!

Thankyou everyone for their responses. I will let you all know how this battle ends haha. I also learned some stuff I didn't already know so that's a plus!!

Same as rancher, I could go on with a lot of reasons.
Flavor and freshness is a big one. Though there is actually getting to be a lot of more local eggs in the stores.
Handsome Brooke Farms out of Franklin NY is in many supermarkets now, free range, pasture raised, USDA Certified Organic, American Humane Certified.
But how does one place sell so many eggs? They package eggs from other farms that run the same and are also certified. These are not 'cage free' eggs, but eggs like all of us raise, happy chickens.

“You are what you eat” certainly applies to eggs. It makes sense. Handsome Brook Farm’s Pasture Raised hens have a naturally healthy diet, foraging outside in the fresh air – and this translates into a more nutritionally dense egg than non-pastured eggs. Studies show that Pasture Raised eggs have lower cholesterol and fat, more Vitamin A, D, and E, higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids, and higher levels of carotene."

But expensive compared to having your own eggs.

My brother just got back from a long vacation, they go on a lot.
First thing he did was post a pic on FB of a fresh egg from one of his hens in a frying pan, said he was so happy to eat a egg that the yolk was orange and stood up, not the yellow flat ones they'd been forced to eat while gone Lol!
1f601.png

The meat, more flavor, store bought chickens are hatch to store in 6-8 weeks, no time to develop flavor, bland and mushy. Heritage breeds take more $$ to raise but develop flavor and if processed young can be tender, otherwise certain cooking methods help (some find them tough)
Brining helps, cooking low and slow helps, certain breeds help, I'm kinda partial to the naked necks right now, meaty tender birds even the DW and kids like.
Most of all, they were raised humane, had a good life, and we know what's in them.

Last edited:
My Good Ol Boy Lucky is going to have to be put down I think ..
He is 6 years old ...Is having trouble with his balance .
Maybe getting Lame ? He doesnt seem to be injured in any way .
Though when he is chasing the young boys off he is just fine .
He doesnt seem to chase them as much . and The Young Boys still respect him
He doesnt roost now but sleeps in the hens house ..
He lets me pick up which he never has done
In the 5 years I have had him I have only lost 1 chickens to predators .
Any Suggestions ?

My Good Ol Boy Lucky is going to have to be put down I think ..
He is 6 years old ...Is having trouble with his balance .
Maybe getting Lame ? He doesnt seem to be injured in any way .
Though when he is chasing the young boys off he is just fine .
He doesnt seem to chase them as much . and The Young Boys still respect him
He doesnt roost now but sleeps in the hens house ..
He lets me pick up which he never has done
In the 5 years I have had him I have only lost 1 chickens to predators .
Any Suggestions ?

Poor Lucky! It sucks getting old and lame - as long as he seems content I would let him be. It sounds like he's slowing down.....
sad.png

Diatamacious earth i use for my dog and have for yrs....and just found out can use on chicks and ducklings.... So yea... Love how well it worked for dog ...doubt will be disappointed with birds

Just be careful on how and when you apply this - as it could harm bees - who are having a hard time .... inside coop - inside a dust bath - maybe right on them if you have a mite problem ...

Using it in the GARDEN: Even if you apply right before the rain or at night DE dries out and is as hard on insects once it drys ...

I do use it but only at targeted times and inside the coop - mostly in winter when coop cleaning and health is the paramount issue.

Last edited:
Strange chicken in my backyard. Looks to be a rooster and I'm pretty sure he's not mine. It's been a long winter but I'm sure I'd have noticed him/it in my youngsters. I only had five chicks kept from last year. Too he/it's in the yard and only the Amer/EE is the black rooster who is out in the yard.

Anyone have a similar incident?

Back
Top Bottom